1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 31 aluminum reciever?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Holeinmypattern, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I just received a 31-TC two barrel set. After I looked it over I noticed the reciever is made from aluminum. Every one I have ever seen has been steel. Do I have some kind of freak gun or were these normal??

John

2. jamsmotorhead

jamsmotorhead Member

John, The aluminum 31 wasn't all that rare. It was usually designated as a "Model 31L" with the the L meaning lightweight from what I've been told by a couple of Remington expert historians. They were great field guns, that could be carried all day without wearing you out. When used for bird hunting, shooting a load light enough to kill a dove or quail without destroying it, the 31L is a great shogun.

I have 2 of them, both converted for trapshooting. One has a full choke, 32" barrel with Simmons rib and the other is a 30" modified choke barrel with Simmons rib. The full choke barrel does a great job on long shots, but I had to put a Monte Carlo stock on it with a fully adjustable Gracoil recoil reduction system. The lighter weight receiver can beat you up when shooting the heavier loads.

The 30" modified-choked barrel is a great shooter from the 16 yard line and doesn't need any recoil reduction so long as I use loads of 1140 FPS or less.

You can find out a lot more about them by contacting most of the experts listed in the "Remington Society" directory which you can find via a Google search. Hope this info helps. Jon Ackerman.

3. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

Jon,

Thanks for the info! I will take a look at the remington society. I shot a few rounds with it last night and you are right about the recoil, but it smokes targets! This one came with a 30" full trap barrel and a 26" skeet barrel and the seriel numbers match. looks like it will be a fun one to play with!

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cracked reciever on remington model 31l

model 31 remington aluminum receiver

model 31 remington aluminum reciever

remington model 31 with alluminum reciever

remington model 31l
remington model 31l barrel threads
what does a remington 31 tc weigh