1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 12 ga. autoloader. any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by triggerhappy, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TS Member

I have found a Remington 12 autolaoder I belive is a 1100. Any one know anything about this gun I dont work with enough money to go out and buy a big name guna remington is about as big name as I get anyone have any comments on autoloaders under $650 that are anybetter?

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

For $650 you can buy an excellent 1100-Trap on this site. Just be a little patient. Get an older one - from the 70's if you can. It will do everything you want. I sold one a couple of years ago for $550 - wish I hadn't.

Joe

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have an older 1100 Trap gun in mint condition with a 30 inch fixed choke step rib barrel and monte carlo stock. PM me if you are interested. JM

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Older 1100 traps go for much less money than the new ones- maybe 400-450 in outstanding condition

Make sure that is what you want- they are good guns

But for another 350-400 you can move to a Berretta 391 with choke tubes

Regards from Iowa

5. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

There are so many better choices out now than the antiquated 1100,better cycling,faster,less maintainance,etc. Jack

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought one in 1982 it has about 7000 rounds through it, all i have ever done was replaced the rubber o ring and drove a roll pin in the receiver to hold the trigger in. I own 7 or 8 1100's..

7. missed some

missed some TS Member

as far as autos go, the 1100 has been in the winner circle more than the other autos have. they are my favorite also.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For many people, reduced recoil is a primary reason for using an autoloader. And if it isn't now, it probably will be sometime in the future. I have a 1970s-vintage 1100 Tournament Trap and an 1100 field gun but always drooled over the Beretta trap autos until I shot one. For me, the felt recoil wasn't much softer than a fixed-breech gun, so you really should shoot one before buying.

Remington autoloaders can be purchased from a lot of sources for affordable prices. Parts for Remingtons are everywhere and aren't expensive. Release triggers, when/if needed, are readily available at reasonable prices. Replacement barrels for hunting, skeet, sporting clays, slugs, etc. can be easily found. I don't think any of those qualities apply to the Beretta autoloaders.

There are a LOT of Remington autoloaders - 1100s and 11-87s, primarily - out there happily breaking targets. It is true that they are less durable than the Berettas or a fixed-breech gun but from your post, I gather you are or will be a casual "fun" shooter - if so, a Remington autoloader will last you a long, long time.

By the way, I am quite fond of Beretta trap guns and own two of their trap combos. But for the casual shooter seeking an autoloading shotgun, I think the Remingtons are a better fit.

Ed

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Buy a good used one and you will never lose money on it.

You do not need a "better" gun to have fun. There are plenty of people who have shot winning scores with an 1100.

I prefer the way the Beretta fits me and I think it is a more reliable gun (needs less cleaning) but I am not sure it is $400 better if you are on a budget. Your 1100 will last a lifetime of "normal" use and if something breaks they are easy to fix and parts are reasonable.

The point is to shoot and have fun. You can buy a lot of ammo with the money saved. Some a--holes may look down on you at a "real" trap club. Ignore them for they are what they appear to be.

You will upgrade when the hook is set and your finances permit. I doubt less than 1 % of us shoot the gun we started with. But the 1100 is a good start.

Don Verna

10. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TS Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. Everyones comments helped very much. I am not a very active shooter in the past but I recently got into skeet and trap shooting and enjoyed it alot but I feel the gun I have is holding my back a little so I am just looking for a reliable autoloader without dumping a ton of cash on it.

Agian thank everyone for your thoughts it really helped out!

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

WOW this has to be a first. A question asked by a relative Newbie and not one negative flaming comment to the OP. I'm impressed fellas. I really am. LOL

Matt

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Matt.. its all of those New Years resolution.. give it about another week..lol

13. smokinbuck

smokinbuck Member

TRigger,
    I have a mint 1100, with choke tubes and a decelerator pad, that will fit your budget. PM me if you have an interest.
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.