1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Remington 1187 SP: sporterizing it

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have a Remington SP 1187, 30" barrel, 3", bought it back new in 1988. It has the original stock set, with the butt stock being like a toothpick; hardly any real "meat" to it compared to field gun stocks on todays semi-autos.

I was thinking to "sporterizing" it and putting a wood sporting stock, or at least a wood sporting butt stock and KickEez pad. This gun would be used just for casual clay shooting and tower shooting.

Does anyone have recommendation for a cheap, no frills, Home Depot plain jane plywood grain wood stock set? Remington only sells a synthetic stock set, I did not see any wood replacement set, specifically the wood set for their 1187 Sporting guns. Cruising on the web, I did come across Macon gunstocks and saw their ad for uncheckered 1187 woodset. I would like some other opinions for a "cheap" woodset.

Thanks.
  2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anything you are going to find is going to be exactly the same as what you have now in terms of dimensions. Field/skeet dimensions for the 1100 and 1187 have been basically unchanged since 1963.

You're not going to find a stock that feels like a 391 unless you go custom, if that's what your getting at. Closest thing you're going to find is a straight trap stock, which has a higher, wider, non-parallel comb (actually, probably pretty similar to the 391 sporting stock).
  3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Slap a Jack West stock set on it and call it good.
  4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

But that might not fit in with the "cheap, no frills, Home Depot plain jane plywood grain wood stock set" theme :)

For someone who's gone through multiple Perazzis and Krieghoffs in the last couple years, I'd think you'd have enough money to invest in something decent for your 1187 LOL
  5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"For someone who's gone through multiple Perazzis and Krieghoffs in the last couple years, I'd think you'd have enough money to invest in something decent for your 1187 LOL"

nah, don't need a pretty stock.... I still have a deer barrel for this gun and I use it to hunt deer so no fancy wood stocks for this gun :)
  6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

you could use a set of old 1100 press checkering wood. you will have to hog out the forend a bit to fit over the 1187 gas collar
  7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

JACK WEST STOCK FOR SURE
  8. Bob_K

Bob_K Active Member

Something like this?

bobk_2008_0303_15.jpg
  9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Actually for plain those aren't half bad. I've seen plain that are downright fugly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.