1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1187 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

May I submit a question to 1187/1100 owners re failure of the bolt to lock in open position after shot has been fired? This happened after the trigger assembly was removed and the receiver cleaned.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. JM

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Is this an older well used gun, or a newer gun? Will it lock back if you dryfire it and pull the bolt back? Have you taken it apart and tried putting back together again, checking that everything is installed correctly? Did it work consistantly before you cleaned it? Mark

3. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

It is an 1187 premier that has not been shot a lot. It was working perfectly before it was cleaned. Took it apart and put it back together, and still has the same problem.
    I did notice that the times the bolt would not lock open was when the carrier would not go back down all the way. When I manually moved the carrier down all the way, the bolt would lock open. Something is causing the carrier to hang up and I cannot figure it out. JM

4. Oregunner

Sounds like a trigger assembly issue. Take the trigger out and make sure the bolt moves back and forth smoothly. Look for issues with the trigger, cross pins drifting out, etc. Possibly install a different trigger from another gun and see if it solves the problem. Try moving the carrier with the trigger out and see if it hangs up. I have multiple 1100s and usually try and isolate the problem by trading parts until I find the one that is causing the problem, then I can deal with just that part. Mark

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    First check the gas rings and make sure the gaps in them are 180 degrees apart. If they are close together or aligned, excess gas can be bled off. This can cause short stroking. While you are checking the gaps, also make sure the rubber o-ring is not damaged and it is seated properly.

Check the "fork" that resides between the action spring tube (that goes into the buttstock) and the rear of the slide. If the fork is not seated properly in the cut in the end of the action spring tube, it can either not lock back or more commonly the bolt sticks partially open.

There are also problems that can happen in the trigger group, but let's assume for now that it is OK (unless you dropped it).

6. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

Could be the rings reversed, and may have nothing to do with the trigger group. Also you may try to spraying the bolt area and, the gas slide with a good dose of Break Free CPL, and see if it locks. Sometimes a real good cleaning will dry the works out enough it jut drags enough to not open up enough to lock open,

PS my experiences are with a 1100 and not a 11-87 but I am assuming they work about the same.

Good Luck don’t get too frustrated. Take it to your local gun club you will find many “experts” that really can usually help. And you will learn a lot just listening and watching them figure it out.

7. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Haven't seen anything mentioned about the gas ports. Many people clean the gun, but forget to check the ports. If clogged, you could get a short cycle.

As mentioned above, I have much greater knowledge on 1100s vs. 1187s, but I think the gas ports are the same.

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your help so far. I did replace the whole trigger assembly with another one I have, and now the locks open each time after I dryfire and pull the bolt handle back.
    Now I have to figure out what is wrong with the trigger assembly. May I solicit some more ideas? Thanks. JM

9. Oregunner

OK, I guess I win the armchair quarterback award this time. :) Next, take both trigger assemblies out and examine them side by side. Cock and carefully release them, looking for malfunctions, missing parts, springs, etc. I am not a professional gunsmith and my expertise stops at disassembling a trigger group. My guess is there is something out of position, missing, bent, or broken. Good luck. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.