1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1187 barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John 53, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John 53

John 53 Member

I am in the market for an 1187, but have been told they were not marketd with anything longer than a 28" barrel. Is this the case? I would like to get a 30" if there were any made by Remington. Thanks.
    John

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I think a 30" barrel can be bought for one. Call them but I do believe it is available.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Unfortunately, Remington no longer markets the 1187 with a 30" barrel.

At one time they sold an 1187 Premier with a 30" barrel, which was polished blue, had walnut stocks, and depending on the time frame, had a standard or light contour barrel.

Remington also sold an 1187 Special Purpose models with 30" barrels. These guns have a matte black finish. These had the standard contour barrel. The stocks came in walnut with a flat finish, or synthetic black.

About the only thing you can do is either search for one of the above guns in NIB or LNIB condition, or get a similar gun and add one of the below barrels to it, either new or used.

Another possibility is to get an 1187 trap gun, and add a 30" field barrel to it. There are plenty of really nice 1187 trap guns offered for sale on this website on a fairly regular basis. These have the desirable 30" step-rib barrel with factory backboring. The stocks are usually straight comb, but some are monte carlo. The point of impact is not raised a lot, going from about 50/50 with the field stock to about 60/40. I have switched to monte carlo stocks on even my 1187 field guns, and prefer them and the slightly higher POI. There is no difference in a trap 1187 receiver or any other 1187 receiver other than finish and markings. So you could put a magnum field barrel on a trap gun and go duck hunting. In fact, I went the other way, and put trap parts on a field gun. This would give you a competition gun you could use in the field. (The trap barrel cannot be used with loads hotter than 1-1/4 oz 3-dram.) in fact, Remington even has a help page mentioning this:

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/76

<i>How can I convert my 1187 Trap or Skeet for hunting use?

With the exception of the 1187 Super Magnum, all Model 1187 receivers are basically the same. The barrel shipped with the shotgun will determine what can be shot from it. You can retrofit any right hand Model 1187 barrel to any right hand Model 1187 receiver within gauge.

In order to shoot field loads in a target shotgun you must fit it with a magnum field barrel. They are completely interchangeable and require no special training or tools to do the job. Refer to the Model 1187 owner's manual.</i>

Remington 1187 barrels

Accessory barrels are available from Remington parts dept 1-800-243-9700.<br>
    <br>
    24638 Special Purpose Magnum Barrel<br>
    12 ga, 30" Vent Rib, Matte Finish, Rem Choke<br>
    Comes with IC, Mod & Full choke tubes<br>
    $239<br>
    <br>
    29600 Premier Light Contour Barrel<br>
    12 ga, 30" Light Contour, Vent Rib, Polished Blued, Rem Choke<br>
    Comes with IC, Mod & Full choke tubes<br>
    $275<br>
    <br>
    An alternative barrel is 241314, which only has one choke tube, a mod, but otherwise identical specs. It also requires a gas cylinder spring, apparently not included, p/n 93498 $6.30. I don't know if this barrel is still available. It's worth asking about since this barrel is priced at $217.

In addition, Corons has lots of used 1187 barrels. Unfortunately they do not list a 30" barrel at the moment, but they do get them in from time to time.
    http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

4. John 53

John 53 Member

Thanks, Brian!

I will start looking on the for sale pages more often. I'm looking for one to hunt with, so I have a LONG time to look.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1187 barrels trap

1187 trap barrel

remington 1187 premier barrel
remington 1187 special trap barrel for sale
remington 1187 target barrel

remington 1187 trap barrel

remington 870 barrels 29600
trap barrel for remington 1187