1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually, all early 1100 barrels are what we now refer to as standard contour.

In the 1990s Remington came out with what they called the light contour barrel.

The light contour barrel is the same as the standard barrel until after the forcing cone. From that point it the barrel is reduced in diameter. It then swell back up gently before the choke tubes to standard contour again. This reduction of diameter trims somewhere around a 1/4 pound off the barrel, depending on the length of the barrel. Less on short barrels, more on long ones.

Some issues with light contour barrels...

First, they cannot be backbored, due to the smaller outside diameter. There is no room to safely increase the bore diameter.

Second, the light contour forends have a smaller barrel groove. This would have to be opened up to use a standard barrel, or a standard forend would have to be used. There is no problem using a light contour barrel in a standard forend. The barrel profiles are the same until after the forcing cones. Then the light contour barrel will look like it is free floating in the standard barrel forend.

Third, the late model 1100s use an 1187 bolt. This has a thicker extractor, which may not fit the narrower slot on earlier barrels. The cure is to file on both sides of the slot until the extractor fits and has some clearance.

Very late 1100 barrels use the 1187 magazine cap retention system. this uses an internally toothed cap, whereas the older forends had a detent ball in the forend and the outer rim of the cap had slots that engaged the detent ball. This is not a feature of light contour barrels per se, but rather an issue between early and late forends and mag tubes. If you use an early forend, you'll need an early mag tube cap. Uncle Mikes also has a universal cap with both retention systems, but it has a swivel on it.

Magnum guns. The action bars are the same. The difference is the action sleeve. This is the hollow cylinder that slides over the mag tube. The magnum action sleeve is much heavier. The non-magnum action sleeve is lighter, and it also is the same one the 1187 uses. The 1187 uses it because it has a different gas system.

The official word from Remington is that 1100 and 1187 barrels do not interchange. However, some owners have successfully interchanged them, along with their forends. But other owners have had problems. Apparently the main culprit is the two different locations of the o-ring groove on the two mag tubes, causing issues with sealing gas. The best thing to do is to not mix models.

2. kyskeet

kyskeet Member

I have new in box clasis trap with 30" choke tube barrel marked target contour. Where does this fall. Already tried to fit an older 26" fixed skeet choke barrel on it and the forearm wouldn't slide on it. I'm looking for a 28" choke tube barrel that will fit it. What should I look for?

3. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

ky
    a 28" rc lc barrel comes on the 1100 sporting clays. Remington sells.You will have a second issue.your1100 trap has a higher comb on the stock and will shoot high with a field, skeet or sporting barrel. This may be okay for some.
    Your best bet will be to get an 1100 field wood set. Then Standard wt barrels will fit and shoot the proper height for skeet or sporting. If you are not planning to shoot trap, you might consider selling/swapping whole gun for an 1100 sporting.

4. Brian in Oregon

Actually the straight or monte carlo buttstocks do not raise the POI excessively with field barrels. When I put a trap stock on my 28" field gun, my POI went from 50/50 to 60/40. That's not excessive. In fact, for field shooting, it's ideal. All of my 1100s and 1187s now have monte carlo stocks on them, even the camo field guns. The POI will tend to rise a bit for shorter barrels, like 70/30 for a 21" barrel.

brianinoregon_2008_0303168.jpg?id=05162013033027

You can see the monte carlo stock on my camo field gun. I sometimes practice with it at the trap club.

5. Avatar

My circa 1978 1100 Classic Trap works fine with a current build 28" field barrel with Rem chokes. However, I usually use the original 30" fixed choke barrel.

6. Reinar

Reinar Member

Reading threads like this ought to remind us all how fortunate we are to have this kind of expertise available almost instantly, just for the asking.

In particular I would like to cite Brian in Oregon. His knowledge of the Remington gas guns, and much else for that matter, cannot be easily learned, even from those who professionally retail these guns and have done so for years. Recently he responded to a query of mine that required a significant time commitment, but his reply was absolutely invaluable. Not knowing Brian at all had previously caused me trepidation about reaching out to him. Had I contacted him earlier though I would have saved myself money and confusion.

Thanks again for these thoughtful threads/posts generally and specifically to Brian in Oregon. Further, although he has likely dispensed much of this information on countless ocassions, he continues to do so cheerfully as relatively new people ask.

Sincerely, Ron S. in MN

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Brian In O is the 1100 man!!

8. Brian in Oregon

Thanks for the flattering remarks, but let me make it clear I am NOT an 1100/1187 expert. Just call me a knowledgeable enthusiast who likes to help others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 magazine cap detent
remington 1100 classic trap forend
remington 1100 gas system
remington 1100 light contour

remington 1100 light contour barrel

rrmington 1100 trap forend light contour
what is a rc std contour barrel 4488
what is the defference between remington 1100 light contour forend and standard forend