1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 vs. Beretta 390..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Silverhawk, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhawk

Silverhawk TS Member

Well, I guess i should start by saying that I've always been a Remington guy so my views may be slanted a bit. I have an 870, and two 1100's that I've shot a bunch and can strip down with my eyes closed. My one 1100 I use for my clays games and love it. The 870 has been my beater gun for the woods and has taken tons of abuse with NO issues at all. My other 1100 is a magnum gun with a fixed full choke vent rib barrel. I was going to sell off the fixed choke barrel and get a barrel with Rem chokes and make this my waterfowl gun. ...Then came along a good deal on a synthetic Beretta 390...I thought I may use this as my waterfowl gun and save my pristine 1100 for whatever. I got looking into cleaning and field stripping the 390!!!! Holy cow it seems like you need a class on how to take the thing apart. Lots of parts like the Beretta handguns....Is it me or do any of you folks feel the same way...The 1100's just seem so simple to take down and clean, I think I might just stay a Remington guy...THoughts??

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I bought a Beretta and had nothing but trouble from the first time I tried to assemble it...forend would NOT go on properly - dealer used a hammer to seat it...then it would cycle intermittently and sometimes lock up with a spent hull in the chamber - again, a rubber hammer became useful. Cleaning is always problem - Beretta and aftermarket dealers provide "improved" gas pistons. Some have had the ribs fall off. I sold it - paid $950 and sold for $725 2 months later. Others will tell you how great they are but life is too short to put up with these headaches...I am sticking with 1100s - more reasonable cost and easier to work with and just as durable IMHO. Best Regards, Ed

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have two 390's and have never had any kind of trouble with them and one of them has over 10,000 rounds through it. I found it pretty easy to clean and must admit until I had thoroughly cleaned a 1100 a few times I felt they were a pain in the posterior. When you know how to do something it seems easy or at least that's the way I think. I have a friend that has a 3901 and he had some problems with it. Jackie B.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I think the 1100/1187s feel better too.

Are the Berettas good guns? Yes. Are they that much better than the older 1100/1187 design? In my opinion, not for the extra money you have to pay. I think their quality need to go up substantially more to justify their increased cost, or they need to lower the price.

Moot point to me. I like the 1100 and especially the 1187, and have a bunch of them, from polished blued trap models with pretty wood to fully camod field models to beater used ones for rough conditions. All have monte carlo stocks so they have the same POI. And my kids have 1100s and 1187s as well.

ASpeaking of which, both kids compared how a 390 and 391 20ga felt to an 1100 and 1187 20ga. They went with the Remingtons, even though the berettas weighed a bit less. The girth around the grip and forend fit their hands much better with the Remingtons.

A lot of people complain about problems with Remingtons. I've found most of them just don't want to clean them, and run them too long between cleanings. They can run a Beretta much longer. But the Beretta, once gunked up, is harder to clean, in my opinion.

Remington has a new gas system out that looks interesting. I don't care for the new Euro look of the gun. (Why must new guns always be restyled when many of us want a classic look?) Time will tell if this is an improvement on the present gas system. I'm not thrilled by the new price. In this respect the Beretta has been proven, the new Rem design has not.

One thing I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt is that ribs don't fall off of Remingtons.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pick the one that fits you best and feels good and use it.

They're both excellent firearms.

That said, I own three Remingtons and no Berettas. But I'd have a Beretta in a second if I found a good deal on one.

Your mileage may vary.

6. REA

REA TS Member

My 390 Sporting has had over 18,000 rounds through it and always functions. Had one part break during that time. A little clunky, but I can live with that. I clean it after shooting since the carbon is easier to get off the piston that way. Just soak it in Hoppe's #9 overnight and brush.

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

390 no comparrison. Just a better all-around gun.

UNLESS you are a lefty then shoot the 1100 if you shoot under the lights.

390's don't have a lefty and fire shooting out of the receiver may F you up. hear it a lot on the skeet fields with doubles.

8. Landshark

Landshark Member

Oh Goody, another 1100 vs 390-391 thread

They're both autos. Find one that fits and shoot it. The Remmy has been around long enough to win more titles than the 390, 3901, 391, and Tecky (aka rib chunker)combined.

Anyone who says that one is better than the other is off the planet wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 vs beretta
beretta a400 vs remington 1100
remington 1100 or beretta
remington 1100 vs beretta

remington 1100 vs beretta 390

remington 1100 vs beretta 391

remington 1100 vs beretta a300

remington vs beretta shotgun