1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 trap question

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by ncbound, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncbound

ncbound TS Member

I am thinking of buying a Remington 1100. I've had good luck in the past with my old 870. I think I would prefer an older model with the fixed full barrel.What year did they come out with the REM CHOKES? and does anyone else prefer the fixed barrels over the "screw in choke barrels"?
    Many Thanks

2. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

Fixed choke for Trap; any old thing for Skeet.
    ML Johnson

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

RemChokes were introduced in 1987.

Remington had some quality control issues with early RemChoke barrels.

As for fixed vs screw choked, what ever floats your boat. A properly installed RemChoke barrel patterns just fine.

Michael

4. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm a fan of the 1100. Instead of barrels with Remchokes, I've been extremely pleased with the fixed barrels. I have four (30 full, 28 full step rib, 28 mod, 26 skeet). The two full barrels are patterned just about identical (high). The 28 and 26 are flat. They're not as convenient as chokes to lug around, but the inconvenience worth it to me. I'd probably change my tune if my travels included airlines.

Larry

5. ncbound

ncbound TS Member

Thanks for the info.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What Mike said.

There is no reason why a properly-fitted choke tube cannot pattern every bit as nicely as a fixed choke. Additionally, tubes allow you the freedom to try different chokes without costly machining that cannot be reversed. If you don't like the new choke's pattern, you simply screw the former one back in and can even sell the new one to recover some of what you paid for it.

I used to prefer fixed chokes until I bought my first choke tube-equipped trap gun. Now, I would not buy a new shotgun without them.

Ed

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have a really nice older 1100 with a 30" fixed choke barrel. The gun is in excellent shape with unusually good wood for a field grade. I would be willing to sell the gun as I already have 4 1100's. If you are interested in it send me a note.

8. ncbound

ncbound TS Member

Thanks Tripod, but I'm holding off till the nice weather,
    Good Shooting
    D

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Tripod,

Post some pictures here and a price. ncbound might change his mind!

LA in MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.