1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 stock question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tachyon, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

OK, another big crop of new shooters. Eleven who had never held a gun before, five with a little experience and three who are experienced. Now to get them all into properly fitting shotguns.

We always have a few who have Remington 1100's available for them to shoot. To cut down the field stock for the girl's is not usually met with a lot of enthusiasm They are more amenable to buying a new stock, then having the original stock available if dad/uncle etc wants to use the gun for hunting.

So the question is what monte carlo replacement stock would you recommend... The options as I see them are:
    <br>
    1. Remington walnut monte carlo stock ($200). Have to cut it down and install a recoil pad.<br>
    2. Remington black composite monte carlo stock ($100) (18610). Has R3 recoil pad already installed. Can this one be cut down easily?<br>
    3. Speedfeed black composite monte carlo stock $70.00 (if you can find one). Has to be shortened.<br>
    4. Wenig new american ladies stock. Great dimensions (length of pull, palm swell, spacing from grip to trigger), Probably have to buy semi inletted.. How hard to fit?
    <br>
    5. Jack West stock? Are they in production again?
    <br>
    So these are the ideas/suggestions I have received any pros/cons other alternatives.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Heres the wenig New american trap ladies left hand standard grade walnut semi inlet from wenig fitted buy me. Fitting to reciever was not that bad. just work slowly taken off wood need to fit. They give you enough to work with. Fitting to length was a bit more touchy. took some time then action tube got in the way(browning gold sporting) Do not know if 1100 will have same problem. All worked out fine. One thing in hind sight. I would see how much to install adjusable comb onto semi inlet stock. I think would be better for final fitting. I was very happy with stock total for stock,pad and a few tools i needed. Small chisels and files about 225.00. I didnt bother with checkering. My wife shoots with "wet weather golf gloves" they tack up nice to the finish.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I've done a couple of the wenig 1100 trap stocks. The butstock is a piece of cake. The fore stock is more difficult. in your spot, I would just do the butt stock. You could probably turn out a couple a week with a little effort.

This is my latest one.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Call these guys, I have bought a few, not so pretty stocks to cut and fit . call them

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bruce,

I think the 870 "Express" monte carlo stock (for deer slug shotguns) has almost the same dimensions as the monte carlo trap stocks (except, I think, the hand grip is a little different.) Fits the 1100 and 1187 (or the 870, with a special longer bolt.) It is Remington part number 97205.

Made of birch, and I think they're fairly inexpensive, right at $85. I think it comes with a really hard recoil pad, so a kick-eez would be a good idea.

Not very pretty wood, and cheap enough nobody would be too upset about cutting it shorter for the girls on your team.

Its exactly what I used for my daughter's 1100, and she is still using it. I had Greg Hissem put an adjustable comb, adjustable buttplate, and kick-eez pad on it.

Tim

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I dunno if you're talking about a 12ga or 20ga 1100, but here goes....<br>
    <br>
    I wanted a monte carlo stock for my 1187 20ga. I took a 12ga 1187 walnut cantilever slug gun stock ($98 from Remington) and cut the tenon down on the top and sides to fit into the back of the 20ga receiver. The sides of the grip stick out a very small amount, almost unnoticable. The top does stick up a bit, but you have to look close to really notice it. This is my 20ga trap gun and sporting clays gun, and I shoot it a fair amount.<br>
    <br>
    My daughter has a 20ga 1187. The stock not only needed to be shortened, but also the grip needed to be closer to the trigger. Inspired by the Wenig All American Ladies stock, I bought another 12ga 1187 monte carlo slug gun stock, and moved the tenon back and trimmed it down in size to fit. Her hand is now a 1/2" closer to the trigger. Visually, the tips of the checkering now touch the receiver, whereas before there was a 1/2" of uncheckered wood there. Then the butt was cut down so it just cleared the recoil spring tube assembly, and a 1/2" soft pad was installed. Length of pull is 12-1/2", whereas the normal length of the 12ga monte carlo stock is 13-7/8". The comb is a wee bit higher than a monte carlo, because as the stock moves forward, it also moves up (look at how the recoil tube slopes and it will make sense). You might have to reduce the height of the monte carlo a wee bit or add a thin add on rib. Or the POI might be perfectly fine, depends on the individual. I'm not sure if this can be done with the 12ga stock on a 12ga receiver and have the top of the stock where it meets the top of the receiver match perfectly. The grip gets thinner further back from the receiver. This was not an issue on the 20ga gun, but it might be on the 12ga gun. Anyway, the end result is a poor man's Wenig Ladies All American stock.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The wenig also has the toe pointed away from the shooter. Something my wife noticed in an instant. Was no longer getting poked by the toe of the gun.

8. missemucho

missemucho Member

Try this link; I bought a Ramline youth stock for our club's loaner 1100 and it's very popular with some of the girl shooters that visit. It comes with the forearm and a 13" lop. About $54.
    http://www.cascadefirearms.com/Shooting/Ramline.htm
    John

9. PINOYSHOOTER

PINOYSHOOTER Member

Jim (Jim101),

The barrel on your beautiful Remington 1100, is it the Hasting item #283 30" 12 ga. hi-rib trap barrel from Shotgun Sports?

Thanks for replying-Pete

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will have some options to give the girls who have their own gun and I am leaning towards trying one of the ladies Wenig stocks for one of the loaners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cutting remington 1100 stock

how to cut a remington 1100 stock down for a recoil pad

how to trim remington 1100 stock

what is the lop for a remington 1100