1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 shooting lite loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

Oct 28, 2010

I loaded some 3/4oz 12ga loads this weekend and hit the skeet range with a friend. I commented on how little recoil the loads have and asked if he wanted to try a couple.

He said that his 1187 can’t shoot lite loads because it causes timing issues and breaks the trailing arms. His gunsmith said not to shoot anything under 1oz.

I have shot over 5k 7/8oz loads and a couple hundred 3/4 without a jam or problem.

Has anyone heard of this? Should I be concerned about shooting lite loads?

What are trailing arms?

Thank you,

2. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I haven't heard of it and have shot somewhere between 15-20,000 7/8's ounce loads in mine, along with a fair number of 3/4 ounce loads. No problems yet.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Don't know what he is talking about. I never went to a 3/4 Oz load but the 7/8 Oz shells were fine. Can't imagine a problem as long as chamber pressures are in the reasonable operating range.
  4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I have met a number of so called "gunsmiths" who should not have been allowed to call themselves that.....
  5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Gee, I guess nobody ever told my 1100 or 11-87 that they are not supposed to be able to use 7/8 oz loads. They both have handled several thousand such loads. I am on at least my third case of 7/8 wads so the guns have eaten up over 10,000 rounds. They do need a bit of cleaning now and then to keep the functioning reliable but aside from that, I have had no problems.
  6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the loads are too light the 1100 or 1187 simply will not cycle. Nothing will be broken.
  7. biercart

biercart Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Some people that want to shoot very light loads in a 1100 and have cycling problems can simply open up the the two gas ports in the barrel with a drill does not take much just a little bigger opening to let a little more gas pass thru to operate the bolt and eject shells, just make sure that you don't shoot heavy loads with that barrel as it can damage the reciever, just use that barrel for light loads.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.