1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 shell feed problem? help needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I recently purchased an 1100 12 ga and it ejects hull as expected but does not feed the loaded shell into the chamber. The new shell will release from the shell tube and stay at the bottom of the chamber and does not try to chamber the shell or close the bolt. Any suggestions. The gun was so dirty when I got it but it shot normally for the first few shots and feed the shell for the second shot. Help. Jackie B.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Maybe your magazine spring is weak or broken. The next shell needs to hit the release button hard enough to trip the action closed.

3. Shooting Jack

I wondered about that so removed the spring and stretched it and reinstalled with the same problem existed. Jackie B.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

1st choice is what Tripod said. Also check to insure that the pusher piece (plastic thing the shell is pushed by) is moving freely in the magazine tube and that the tube is not bent or dented.

2nd Look closely at the trigger group, especially in the area of the silver (normally) action release. A small protruding piece is what is hit by the shell coming out of the magazine. This releases the bolt to push the new shell on the carrier up and into the chamber.

This presumes that the bolt will close normally, with a pretty good "snap" when you manually hit the release. If the action is sluggish in closing, start looking for dirty, bent or broken pieces in the trigger group.

You can also check to be sure that the action bars are intact and not binding and that the action spring and stud, located in the tube from the rear of the receiver into the stock, is freely moving and not rusty, dirty or bent.

5. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

What loads are you using?

I've had the same issue when shooting Kemen Light #8...

Kemem/Rio indicated that the light #8 shells WILL NOT CYCLE:

"We apologize for the frustration that occurred while using our product. John with Kemen is correct in the fact that these are low pressure loads and will not function in the autoloaders."

There also seems to be a problem with the shells not being properly sized.
    Had to literally FORCE some of the shells into the chamber.

"In regards to having some ammo that is out of round, we are investigating this. We appreciate that you notified us of this issue. This load is brand new for 2010 and your feedback helps us."

I'm working the sizing issue with Kamen/Rio...anyone else notice a sizing
    problem, contact Kamen or let me know and I'll forward this thread to them.

Smok'n Joe

6. Shooting Jack

The shells I was shooting were AA's with 18.3 gr of Promo and 1 oz of shot. They cycle fine in my other 1100's so feel certain that it's not the shells. It's weird that it cycled the first times I shot it but will dismantle it again and completed wash down with brake kleen then put it back together and try it wet with break free or clenzoil. Jackie B.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Try a spary cleaner in the action, I've had my 1100 not feed and found a smal piece of brush in the action that prevented the gun from feeding. Used gun scrubber on the action it washed it out and I was on the way.

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Just had a similar problem. Since you have another 1100 or 1187, swap trigger groups to see if it is the group ot someting else. If it works with another group, set the two side by side and carefully look at each to see if something may be bent. I did this and found that the latch (the thing that sticks up at the back of the carrier) was bent too far upward. I tried to straighten it with pliers and it broke. I ordered one from Remington and now it shoots perfectly. Just remember that a shell from the magazine has to be really hauling butt to trip the latch and that allows the shell to be lifted into position for chambering. As listed above the magazine follower, the thingy that pushes the shell out of the magazine can cause a multitude of problems. Just for kicks, turn it around in the magazine tube and see if the gun will cycle but don't do this many times as it will damage the part.

If it won't run with another trigger groupe in it it could be a ton of things and most bad. Bent rods are almost impossible to detect as are bent mag tubes. Both of these can occour from drops and four wheeler wrecks and will have to be sent to Rem for repairs.

When you isolate the problem, I would suggest that you go to Remingtons USA and then the parts section and buy a new mag spring, action spring (inside the stock) and a magazine follower. This will cost aboput $25.00 total and you will be good to go for twenty more years.

9. Shooting Jack

Thanks for the advice everyone and have stripped it down and scrubbed everything and will try it out tomorrow, I hope. The follower was the culprit I think as it would not slide smoothly in the shell tube like it had a piece of shot in it or something. But when I took it out I didn't see anything fall out but I had been spraying carb cleaner in it so I may have washed it out. Thanks again and will update when I shoot it. Jackie B.

10. snowbird trap shooter

snowbird trap shooter TS Member

Could be plastic accumulation in the chamber.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

dirty ports. Not enough gas to push the bolt back with enough force to trip the feed lever.

Go at them with a set of number drills till you have all the carbon out. It will be quite hard. I use a pin vise and do it by hand. It';s a lot safer than a drill motor.

You haven't lived till you've broken off a drill bit in an 1100 gas port.

HM

12. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

If all else fails you can check the "Shell Latch".It is the part that is Staked in the side opposite the bolt handle.It looks like a flat spring about 6-7 inches long.A little tip that extends into the magazine is easy broken.You will need a staking tool to replace this part..Brownells caries the part and the tool.Manns in Pickneyville Il can do the job also..

13. Shooting Jack

I got to shoot it a little while ago and it worked great. It turned out to be crud or a piece of flattened shot in the tube binding the follower. It cycled like a brand new gun. LOL Thanks for all the help. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 failure to feed

remington 1100 feed latch problems
remington 1100 feed problems
remington 1100 feeding issues
remington 1100 feeding problem
remington 1100 feeding problems

remington 1100 loading problems

remington 1100 problems