1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 rib replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Anybody ever had a rib replaced on a Remington 1100 barrel? Yes,I called Remington today. The recording said everybody was in a training class. I will call again on Tuesday. I'm not looking for anything special,I just want to have the factory rib replaced. Any suggestions in case Remington won't take the job?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess they're going to tell you to buy a new barrel, and if not, the cost of replacing the rib is probably going to be close to what a new barrel will cost anyways...

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

This is a left handed 20 ga. that has been threaded for screw chokes. I would like to keep the barrel. The rib was dented pretty bad. A smith tried to raise the dent and was semi successful. It's still ugly.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I don't believe Remington even makes their own shotgun barrels anymore. At one point, the barrel markings and rib style (semi-circles for light diffusion) were identical to those used on Hastings barrels. They are a little different now, so I believe they found a new supplier.

I know some of the 1100/1187 carrier pieces are made locally to me (as well as some work on the 887), another local shop had a contract for mossberg 20ga chokes, and another shop had a contract for mossberg beads. I'm thinking most of these companies contract out everything they can to the lowest bidder and make the absolute minimum number of components in house.

Would be interested to hear what they say though.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You could send the barrel to Simmons in Olathe, Kansas. They specialize in putting ribs on guns -though it wouldn't be a Remington factory rib.

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Wayne, what did he use to straighten it?
    Ken Rucker

7. leftex

leftex Active Member

Ken,

I sent the barrel to Mike Orlen to get it threaded and some monkey of a USPS employee must have used it for a crowbar. Anyhow the Mike sent a before picture and the rib was bent almost down to the barrel between 2 supports. The rib metal was stretched quite a bit. Both adjacent supports were pulled loose from the barrel. I don't know what he used to raise the rib. It doesn't look toooo bad but I would prefer it to match the condition of the rest of the gun. A couple of years ago Lou Williamson quoted $150.00 to replace the rib. That is probably the best route. Again, I don't know what kind of setup/tool he used to raise the dent. BTW Mike's barrel work is great.

Wayne

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Was it one of the 36" tubes or triangular boxes that the post office sells.
    That's what I used to ship barrels, and I can't imagine anybody damaging the
    barrel unless they did it on purpose.

9. leftex

leftex Active Member

The barrel was well packed. I have to believe the damage was intentional... Hope I spelled that correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.