1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Release Trigger - Pig in a Poke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mag410, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mag410

mag410 Active Member

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    </head>

<body>

It looks I have bought a pig in a poke. This Remington trigger plate
    appears to be a Timney steel 870 trigger plate<br>
    converted into an 1100 trigger plate? The hammer hook is marked HEB
    228. That was Herb Bowen's mark?<br>
    The bluing is worn on the trigger guard, but the shell carrier appears to be
    new. It seems to work fine, but I don't<br>
    have much experience with release triggers. Any informed thoughts?<br>
    <br>
    Michael Goines<br>
    <br>
    g.jpg <br>
    <br>
    a.jpg <br>
    <br>
    b.jpg <br>
    <br>
    c.jpg <br>
    <br>
    h.jpg <br>
    <br>
    f.jpg <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    fa.jpg <br>

</body>

</html>

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It sure looks like a good one. The best ones were converted 870 triggers.
    The slide release latch acts to disengage the release once it's set, without having to pull the bolt back. You got lucky.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Timney steel 1100 housing, not a timney release hook. Probably started its life as a Timney 1100 pull trigger, and someone had it converted to release by someone other than Timney.

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

smoknjoe_2009_251034.jpg

Mike,

Pictured below is a rare, Timney GOLD TRIGGER Release assmebly for a Remington Model 1100. Note that what looks like a slide release lever for an 870 is the trigger reset lever on the Timney assembly. It is flawless and available for $300 shipped to your door...no FFL required.

Smok'n Joe

5. mag410

mag410 Active Member

twostraight

Buying a pig in a poke is a southernizm that means sometimes you buy one thing and end with something else, usually something you didn't want.

dickgtax

The 870 slide release does not disengage the release trigger.

skeetman

I think you may have it right, I think it is a steel frame Timney trigger that someone converted to release. The hammer hook is marked HEB which I understand was Herb Bowen's mark, but I can't believe he would have converted the trigger without enabling the disengage function.

Smok'n Joe

Thanks for the picture, but I can't quite make out the linkage that disables the trigger.

Michael

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Thinking about it further, I wonder if it WAS ORIGINALLY a timney release, then somebody had someone different put a NEW release in it. That would explain the non-functioning disconnect, it worked with the original release, but there might not be a provision for it to work with the new one.

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It looks like the "pig in the poke" has turned out to be a possum.

This morning I installed the trigger plate in an 1100. The trigger set properly when the trigger was pulled, and the hammer fell when the trigger was released, but the gun did not fire. After a bit of dis-assembly and comparison between the 1100 and 870 revealed that this trigger plate is definitely an 870 that someone tried to convert to an 1100. This trigger plate has a pin installed in the side of the hammer that the release hook catches to keep the hammer from falling until the trigger is released. The hammer on an 1100 passes through the legs of the link (fork) as it strikes the firing pin. The pin installed in this hammer will not allow the hammer to pass through the link. I never thought about why the link was made like it is. Now I understand. This also explains the arrangement of the hook on the pictures of Timney releases I have seen. The hook must hold the hammer from the rear so the hammer can pass through the link.

My best guess is that this is a Timney 870 pull trigger that Bowen converted to a release. Some shade-tree gunsmith tried to convert it into an 1100 not understanding that the hammer will not pass through the link with the pin sticking out the side.

It looks like my best options are to: convert it back to an 870 release; remove the release pins, hooks, etc and use the trigger as a 1100 pull trigger; or strip the parts and sell the steel housing.

Michael Goines

8. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Has the Black Dog had a good look at it? If not, give her a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 release trigger

release trigger for remington 1100

remington 1100 release trigger

remington 1100 shotgun release trigger

remington 1100 trigger mech parts
remington 1100 with plastic trigger gaurd

timney release trigger for remington 1100

timney release triggers