1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Refurbishing Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by illiniphil, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I have an 1100 12 gauge 26" barrel choked skeet that I bought brand new when I was 16 years old in 1973. Where would you all recommend I take it to have it looked at to replace worn parts/springs. The gun still works great but I don't want to wait until something breaks. Also, I have never shot doubles and was wondering everyone's opinion on purchasing a 34" barrel to give it a try. Will the field stock mess me up?

As a side note, I saved my money for three years to buy that gun and it was one sweet rabbit gun. Over the years I have used it successfully on countless deer, quail, pheasant, duck and geese. Although I now am able to own many more expensive guns, that old Remington is the first gun I want to grab during hunting season.

2. fishkiller

fishkiller Member

JNP Springs advertise on this board.They have spring kits for sale for a variety of guns and are absolutly fantastic to deal with. It is not very hard to swap these parts out yourself.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Remington is a good choice. They are usually reasonable and can do a decent job. The turn around isn't always that bad either. They did a reblue on my 1100 and it came out like factory. :)

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Brownell's sells the parts if you want to do it yourself. If you want a gunsmith, Remington is a good bet. Don't know where you live but Doug Braker in MN is a well respected 'smith.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I wanted my 16 gauge 1100 refinshed "Like New" and called the Factory at Ilion N.Y. I found out that the Remington factory no longer will accept repairs out of Warranty. You will be told to send it to one of the service centers. I live in New York and our service center is;
    Gunworks of Central New York
    5366 State Rt #31
    Verona, NY 13478
    (315) 363-7041
    ME, NH, VT, NY, MA, CT, RI, NJ, RI

I sent my gun there and told them I wanted it to look like the day it was new. They said they could do this no problem. I specified that the stock and forearm had the gloss finish (My gun was made in 1966). This was a well used gun in poor condition. Well it came back and the bluing and wood finish was perfect...............BUT they did not refinish the trigger guard, it was still well worn and scratched and it looked awful!
    When I called them they told me that it was not included in the reblue because it is not made of steel! I was not happy and told them so. After many words they told me I could send it back and they would refinish it for $75.00 more plus shipping!!! BOTH WAYS!!! WTF!!! A new complete trigger assy from Brownells is $94.74!!! So the gun sits in the safe with it's scratched trigger guard, some day I will buy the new trigger. It is a wonder Remington is still in business the way it is run today!
    So when you ask about your refinish please specify the trigger guard replaced or refinished so you are not disappointed.

6. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Phil,

You have the makings of a great trap gun. All you need is a 30 inch Full choke barrel. Try the field stock with a nice Kick-eez pad. Some shooters can't shoot a "Trap" stock because it may be too high. If you do need an adjustable comb stock maybe get your field stock cut or try one of the Jack West stocks. For the price of getting a wood comb cut you can by his stock and forend.

Don't worry about old or worn parts from your field gun you probably have not shot it enough. I would replace the recoil spring though. They cost about 5 dollars from Remington. You can install it yourself.

If you are going to shoot the 1100 on a regular basis, as trapshooters do, just buy a complete bolt assembly, extra link (tuning fork) and maybe an extra trigger. This will be less expensive than another gun and better because you will not have to try to learn a completely different gun should you break a firing pin or spring or an extractor. Just throw in a complete bolt and you will be back in business in about 5 minutes. Quicker than you can walk to your vehicle to get another gun !

Forget the 34 in barrel. It will be too long. A 30" on an automatic is about the same length as a 34" barrel on a break open gun. Also forget trying to shoot doubles with the 1100. It will be a nightmare ! I've tried everything for 22 years to get the 1100 to work consistantly and reliably at doubles. It can't be done. Get another gun such as a Beretta 302, 303, 390 or a break open gun for doubles.

I've owned a Perazzi, Caesar Guerini, Seitz and Beretta break open guns and to me the Remington 1100 is the easiest gun to shoot. I can shoot mine at a 4 day 300 targets a day shoot and not be sore. When I shot my break open guns I would have a sore neck, or shoulder or even headaches after a 200 target day.

Many great Trapshooters have made tremendous careers whith a Remington 1100. Some of them are: Leo Harrison III, Bernard Wanner, Daro Handy, George Snellenberger, and D. Lee Braun, And I'm sure there are many other shooters who on any given day can win any tournament with the 1100.

I hope this helps you.

Hit 'em hard,

John Kirksey
    88-00198

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Since your 1100 is functioning correctly, the only thing that might need replacing are the recoil spring and O-ring. The recoil spring should be replaced every 10,000 rounds or so. Many people replace the recoil spring when they buy a used 1100, just like my dad always changed the oil when he bought a "new" used car. There is no need to change the O-ring unless is is dry and brittle, but it is a good idea to have one on hand.

Most people find that an 1100 with a field stock shoots too flat for trap. My first "trap" gun was afield grade 870 with a Meadow Industries Convert-A-Stock Pad. The following link is Gamaliel's page for the Meadows comb.

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=589&cat=311&page=1

If you decide to buy a barrel for trap I have a new 30" barrel off of a 1100 Competition Target gun, comes with a flush Modified Probore choke. $275

Michael Goines

8. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Looks like Trapmanjohn and I were typing at the same time. We are of like mind except the part about not being able to keep one going shooting doubles. There have been many 100's shot with 1100's. I agree that the various Beretta auto-loaders will go longer between cleanings, but I never had any trouble getting an 1100 to go a couple hundred shots between cleanings.

Michael

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use my 1100 skeet "B" with a 30" full choke barrel I bought used in 1977 for registered trap. I like to shoot with the field stock then I just float the bird. I don't have to shoot under the target with it as I have to do with almost any higher stocked trap guns.
    Everyone shoots different guns differently. I love my field grade 1100's. I can fix almost anything that breaks although I don't have to fix them often. Just a couple minor parts over the years.

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Being a Remington lover I would not send the 1100 back to the factory for anything. They destroyed the barrel on my 1100T. If you want the best finish then ship it to Glenrock Blueing in Glenrock, WY. They dismantle the gun for cleaning and blueing and can replace springs at that time. Its an easy gun to work on.

11. revbook

revbook Member

I had work done on my 1100 Tournament Skeet at Remington's premiere repair center Sportsman's Haven in Cambridge Ohio. They replaced the bolt and reblued the receiver and it looks like new. Since then I have become familiar with breaking down the 1100 and feel confident that I can perform most repairs myself. There are videos on Utube that will walk you through it.

12. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Mike, regarding your 30" Competition barrel...will it fit my older model of 1100. I called Remington a number of years ago asking whether a new barrel would still fit my model. They stated that they changed the barrels after a year that I cannot now remember. I can get a replacement barrel but I have to specify it for the model I have. I wonder if this was accurante information?

13. mag410

mag410 Active Member

All 12 gauge 1100 barrels are supposed to be interchangeable. There are only two issues I am aware of with barrel interchangeability.

(1) Up until Remington stopped making 1100's, when they introduced the 11-87 in 1987, all barrels were standard contour. When Remington resumed production of the 1100 they made some guns with Light/Target contour barrels and some are the old standard contour. You need to use a fore end made for a standard contour with a standard contour barrel and a Light/Target contour fore end with a Light/Target barrel. A Light contour fore end can be opened up to fit a standard barrel by lightly sanding the barrel channel in the fore end.

(2) Post 1987 1100's have a thicker extractor, same as the 11-87. These barrels will work with the older thin extractor. The only real issue is using an old barrel on a newer receiver. The extractor cut on the old barrel may not wide enough for a newer thicker extractor. It is not difficult to open the cut cut.

The pre-1987 1100's have a metal collar and detent built into the end of the fore end.

The post 1987 1100's use the 11-87 style magazine cap retention scheme. The magazine cap is retained by a plastic plug powered by the magazine spring.

Light contour barrels are ~.850" just in front of the gas cylinder.

Standard contour barrels are ~.925" just in front of the gas cylinder.

All that being said, the 1100 Competition barrels are standard contour and have the wide extractor cut.

Michael

14. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Phil,

What did you decide to do with the Rem. 1100 in question ? Keep us posted.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 new gun ratching cap can it be used on a old forearm with the spring detent

who can refurbish remington 1100