1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 rattle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

My Remington 1100 (LH) recently developed a rattle. Looking at it closely, I realized that the bolt is a little loose when it's open, and that's what's making the noise. I don't have the rattle when the bolt is closed, and I can't see anything fundamentally wrong if I take the barrel off and/or remove the trigger group.

The gun shoots just fine, although I'm a little worried that one of these days I'm going to see something flying out of the action (or worse) if I don't fix whatever this is.

Any ideas?

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

What do you mean by "a little loose when open?" It will have a little play back and forth even when locked back.

Usually a rattle in an 1100 is due to the gas rings rattling on the magazine tube when the action is back. There is also a stamped metal piece that connect the action bars that can rattle. Try removing the gas rings and see if the rattle goes away. You will have to manually cycle the gun of course.

Joe

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is probably the lock block assembly. When the bolt is closed it locks into a slot above the bolt. When the bolt is open it can rattle. I don't think you have to worry about it. HMB

4. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

If your gun has been shot a lot, you may need to replace the link and the action spring. This is considered routine maintenance on these guns, just like putting new brakes in your car. The following web sites offer some really good information on the Remington 1100, including maintenance and trouble shooting. If parts are need, the most commonly replaced ones are available at Midway USA (www.midwayusa.com)

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:RJjJr2_UE6wJ:www.remingtonsociety.com/images/Rem_1100_Notes__Rev_with_Pix_of_Disassembly.pdf+remington+26075&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/images/Rem_1100_Notes__Rev_with_Pix_of_Disassembly.pdf

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Thanks guys - that's all very helpful. Sounds like there's not too much to worry about, although I wonder why it appeared recently.

Joe (M R Ducks) - the rattle is at the rear of the receiver - nowhere near the forearm. And it coincides with a small movement of the bolt.

Ted K.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ted,

I'm puzzled by your problem. If the bolt is locked open, how can there be "a small movement of the bolt"? Are you saying the bolt is able to move back and forth while being locked open?

I just tried it on my 1100 and I'm sure that what I heard was the gas piston moving back and forth. As Joe suggested, remove the piston/rings and try it again. If the problem goes away, you know what the cause was.

BTW, the link shouldn't rattle with the bolt locked back because the recoil spring is exerting constant pressure on the link (connecting rod). As HMB said, it might be the locking block, but you've got to rock the gun back and forth pretty vigorously to get much sound out of it. Or maybe your hearing is just better than mine which is quite possible. :)

Easystreet

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Check the link - make sure one of the legs that goes into the stock to work the recoil spring isn't broken. I've had them break and still work fine, but rattle - actually more like a buzz.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    easystreet, quote: <i>"I'm puzzled by your problem. If the bolt is locked open, how can there be "a small movement of the bolt"? Are you saying the bolt is able to move back and forth while being locked open?"</i><br>
    <br>
    A little rattle is normal when the bolt is locked back. Nothing to worry about.<br>
    <br>
    The reason the bolt rattles when "locked" open is that it is not the same kind of lock up as when it is closed and in battery. You're hearing the sound of the bolt being loose on the action bar carrier, and the locking lug which is retracted inside the bolt. This loose fit means the bolt is not hampered by dirt or grime when it is traveling to the rear, or coming forward again.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, for those who don't know, every time an 1100 or 1187 cycles, the bolt is locked to the rear, though momentarily. It is not released until a shell is released from the magazine, and comes back and strikes an internal bolt release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to get rattle out of a remington 1100

remington 1100 bolt will not stay open

remington 1100 hammer loose

remington 1100 has a rattle

remington 1100 lock block rattle

remington 1100 rattles

remington 1100 stock is rattling

remington model 1100 forend rattle