1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Travioli, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

About 2 years ago I bought a brand new 1100 trap gun. I have been shooting the gun very well. This past November I was shooting it and the part that pushes the bolt forward that goes back into the stock broke. I am not sure what the part is called something fork. I kept referring to it as the tuning fork but I know that is not correct. Anyway I got it fixed and the guy did a great job getting it back to the way it was. The question I have now is...is it possible that something has changed with the gun due to the repair? I ask this because my scores have fallen drastically. I also think it might be all in my head since the gun does sound a little different then what it use to since the repair. Maybe I will just buy a new 1100 or use my broning XT. Anyone else have thoughts on the fact that the repair might have changed something about the gun to the point the POI has changed?

Thanks

Travis

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The part you are referring to is called the link. It has no effect on POI. Did you get the same barrel back with the gun after it was repaired? If it has choke tubes, is there one in the barrel, is it the right one? HMB

3. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

The link is a part that you can replace yourself, fairly easily. I assume from your comments that you did not do it yourself and instead had a gunsmith do it. When you say the link was fixed, I hope you mean that your gunsmith REPLACED it with a new one rather than trying to repair the old one.

That said, what gun, if any, did you shoot with while your 1100 was in the hospital? If you shot for a while with a different gun, it's possible you got used to the other gun and switching back to the 1100 is proving a challenge.

Other than that, HMB raises good points.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Changing the link ("tuning fork") won't change how your gun shoots.<br>
    <br>
    The shot is out of the barrel before the action even unlocks.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    The gun will recoil about 3/8" to 5/8" (depending on its weight, load and barrel length) before the shot leaves the barrel, but the action is locked, so the fork would still make no difference.<br>
    <br>
    I think the problem is in your head. You need to practice more and get your confidence in yourself and your gun back. Have a qualified shooting coach observe you and see if you are gdoing something different. Like lifting your head. Or perhaps you are not anchoring the gun like you were. Are you wearing heavier clothes now?

5. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

Everything I got back was still the original parts. I never replaced that item before on a gun since I never really had one break where i needed to fix it. Like I said before the guy that fixed it is a very reliable guy and I enjoy dealing with him.

Brian in Oregen: I would have to agree with your comment it is a mental issue.

gbatch: I used my Browning XT while the 1100 was getting fixed and part of me wants to lean towards that gun from now on shooting but I would feel unfaithful if I stopped using the 1100 if you know what I mean and I am sure you all know.

Once again thanks for the comments and suggestions.

This forum is the best

Travis

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Unfaithful????,,,I started with a 1100,,,went to a 686 field gun,,,left the 1100 at my fathers house 850 miles away,,,,for something to shoot at his club,,,,found out I could no longer hit a thing with the 1100 after not shooting it for awhile,,,,also found I did not like all that stuff moving around and making all that noise,,,,SOLD THE GUN,,,,to some one that wanted a 1100,,,Got a 682 gold E,,,,you have a Browning XT ???,,,USE IT,,,,in the long run you will be much beter off,,,

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Instead of feeling unfaithful why don't you just sell me the gun ? I am looking for an 1100 Trap right now.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think you ... you ... I think you ... well ... you need to take your 1100 and hold it above your head while hopping from station to station on the 16 yard line while loudly chanting for the evil spirits to leave you and your gun and to never return again.

Yep ... that should do it.

The problems are in your head ... not your gun.

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Hey there 682LINY

You're 1100 is doing just fine and loving its new home! lol I am just having a little work done on the stock, but in the few times I have used it, it's been wonderful!

Thanks again for selling it to me!!

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Travis, Gene's question is the key...if you switched guns while the 1100 was repaired, it can certainly cause a problem...I know, I have the same issue going on. Last spring I bought an XT, put the 1100s and 870s away for awhile. The XT was great - shot good scores, no recoil, great handling, but took awhile to get used to the high rib. Then, decided to try to find out if I could still shoot decently with the Remingtons, so dug them out. The 870s definitely kick and that is an issue I haven't overcome. The 1100s are great, but consistency is a problem...I think tinkering with the shell catcher is a distraction. Will try going back to the XT...geez, too many options. Wish I hadn't bought an 870 TB (mint) and an old 1100 (mint +) in the last several weeks. Oh well... Ed

11. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Agreed. The part is the link. They break between 5,000 and 10,000 rounds (closer to 5,000 on older guns with worn rails that have more slop and wiggle room than on newer receivers)

The link has NOTHING to do with where the gun shoots. Check to see if you also have a broken forend support (the little spring metal doo-hicky that slides between the action bars and acts as a bushing seating the bottom of the chamber end of the barrel above the magazine tube) The gun will function fine without that part, but if it's broken, or missing, you can get barrel movement at the back end causing
    a change in POI EVERY SHOT

I know this for a fact, I've seen it happen and even took some shots without a forend support installed to check it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.