1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by markdenis, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I could use a little help please.

I have a 1100 Remington 12ga trap that I shoot all the time. It has always had an ejection problem...that is, it don't want to push the bolt back far enough to keep the action open or eject shells. The ammo I shoot is plenty strong (3 dram and more) but I think I have a gas leakage problem.

The gas piston is the new single style and it has a new gas rubber O-ring. If I don't clean the rings and place where the rings fit into the barrel, it works much better. I think it builds up carbon and seems to seal everything better. The area where the gas seal fits in the barrel is pitted and I think this is where the problem is. The entire gun is free from any kind of dirt or build-up and the action spring is fine.

So, my question is...has anyone had this problem, and if so, do you know of someway a person could make a better seal with all the parts that fit there? I have tried an oversize rubber O-ring with no luck.

Thanks, Mark

2. 1100shooter

1100shooter TS Member

Be sure the two holes (gas ports) in the barrel are clean and have no carbon built up in them

3. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mark
    I've seen this problem before(new and improved doesn't always mean better)--suggest you try a set of the old style rings (make sure they aren't to tight--lightly file/sand so that they easily slide in the barrel collar).
    regards
    Bob

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"I've seen this problem before(new and improved doesn't always mean better)--suggest you try a set of the old style rings'

The old style two piece pistons are not on the parts lists but are available from Remington, the piston components for the 12g 1100 are Remington parts #15384 and #15385.

I use them in my 2005 1100 Classic Trapin place of the new style piston that it came with. It handles 1 oz. loads much better with the old system.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd also go with the old two piece rings and polish the inside LIGHTLY with a dremel. Place the rings on the mag tube with the gaps 180 degrees apart and make sure they slide easily. Clean the outside of the mag tube extra clean and lube it with something like Breakfree. I'd also take a VERY close look at the inside of the barrel lug and make sure there are no carbon deposits. They get very hard over time and need some elbow grease to remove. If the rings are a VERY tight fit in the barrel, try polishing the inside of the extension, being careful not to remove any substantial material. I'd also look at the chamber and make sure it is not rough and is squeaky clean as well. While you are at it, take a look at the recoil spring and tube. A new spring and a good cleaning can do wonders.

All ammo isn't created equal. Just because you are shooting a 3 dram load does not mean it has sufficient gas volume and expansion to work the action properly. If a different brand of shell works well, that would be one place to look.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Be sure you are using the correct size O-ring. According to my notes, that would be 15/16" ID and 1/16" ring thickness. Viton V1000-021 should work well.

Also, I suggest you lubricate the action and the outside of the magazine tube generously with Breakfree CLP. The inside of the recoil spring tube could use a little of that lubricant too.

Also, be sure that a 5/64" drill bit will slide in and out of the gas ports if you want enough gas to operate the gun well.

Easystreet

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When putting the rubber o-ring on the mag tube, leave it a bit more towards the end of the tube, not in the groove, and let the gas chamber (aka barrel hanger) push it into place.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Easy diagnosis, try another barrel. The symptoms you describe are gas starvation.

Removal of carbon, slight enlargement of ports are the acceptable cures.

I do have one barrel that was dropped and is a poor fit for the rings, there is a bind. Turns out the cup is slightly out of round and needs refinishing.

When you put the barrel on the gun, observe the rings as the cup slides over them. there should be no uneven strain, it should just slide on.

The 2 piece ring system is designed for the pressure to force the top ring into the bottom ring, making it seal against the cup.

So, if another barrel exhibits the same problem look into the engine room.

If not, rehab your barrel.

HM

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BreakFree CLP

10. 121083

121083 Member

The proper size o-ring for a 12 ga 1100 is a viton 025. 1 3/16" ID, 1 5/16" OD, and 1/16" wide. Have you ever taken your action spring out and cleaned it. The tube it runs in can accumulate alot of crud over the years.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

also if you have never removed the stock, and cleaned out the action tube,follower and spring do so. Even right from the factory the anti corrosion stuff they use is no where near a lube. you may be shocked at how much crud is in there.

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Thanks guys for the help. I know the problem lies in the area the where the piston fits in the barrel because of rust pitting. It does not bind in any way, gas escapes around the piston and O-ring because of the pitting.

I would simply change barrels but the one in question has a high adjustable custom rib, so I really need to fix this barrel.

If someone has an extra old style ring, (bottom ring...piston, or both rings) I would be interested in buying what I need. If not, I will order one from Remington. But I thought someone might have an extra ring or set of rings lying around before I call Remington.

Thanks, Mark Rounds

13. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I found a set of old rings and they work perfectly. The gun ejects as it should. The new one piece replacement ring by Remington will not operate my gun.
    Thanks all who replied.

Mark Rounds

14. Easystreet

121083 wrote: "The proper size o-ring for a 12 ga 1100 is a viton 025. 1 3/16" ID, 1 5/16" OD, and 1/16" wide."

LOL. You've gotta be kidding. The groove diameter of my 1100 12 gauge is .976" and the outside diameter of the tube itself is between .998" and .999" depending on where I measure it.

An o-ring that was 1 3/16" in ID would be about 4 sizes too big since it is WAY bigger than the outside diameter of the tube itself. That would be about like trying to get a size 8 hat to fit snugly on a size 7 1/4 head. LOL.

If you don't believe me, measure it yourself.

Easystreet

15. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just one other, rather rare, thing to check is the conditions of the action bars. I had an 1100 that the action bar was cracked on one side. Ejection, and feeding from the magazine both became problematic. As near as I could figure an uneven push on the two sides caused a slight bind when the carrier was pushed rearward by the gas. Check the bars, on both sides, very carefully since at rest the crack could almost seal up to invisibility. Not the most likely cause but it is not impossible either.

16. 121083

121083 Member

Easystreet, this is 121083, and I want to apologize for putting in the wrong info on the o rings, I was looking at some old info I had written down and later realized I had posted it wrong. Sorry if I caused any confusion. The right size is the 021 viton. Sorry again.

17. Easystreet

No problem. Thanks for clearing that up. I wondered where you got your info. Now I realize you simply made a mistake. Again, no problem.

Easystreet

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can edit and delete your posts, if you want.

Look at your post, and just below the text of your post in the bottom/left, you'll see a link that says "Edit/delete my post."

Click on that and you're on your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 new style piston and seal problems

how do you know if remington 1100 barrel is pitted

new style remington 1100 gas piston

piston seal and o-ring for remington 1100

remington gas piston new style 1100

why does the replacement 410 1100 barrel fit so tight