1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Question FTF

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbart1948, Aug 25, 2013.

1. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Facts - I own a Remington 1100 Classic Trap. This shotgun is less than two years old with an estimated 1,500 rounds thru it.

Today I was shooting in a club match when the shotgun failed to fire (FTF). In my opinion, the shotgun was clean. During my attempt to fire, the round was dropped into the ejection port, at which time the carrier release button was pushed, and the round was chambered. Everything appeared normal, and I believe that the round was properly chambered.

Upon pressing the trigger, all I got was a click! An examination of the shotshell revealed that the primer was not dented.

The round itself was a reload using Remington Gun Club hulls, with Winchester 209 primers. It is important to note that I have used many Winchester 209 primers before without any problems.

When I fired a Remington Gun Club shotshell from the factory, the shotshell fired.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Dave

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My thoughts are that the Gun Club hull was not re-sized enough to really chamber properly. I cannot shoot steel base shells whether factory or reloads in my Winchester Model 50 (they don't cycle) but they do work OK in a Browning A500.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a look at FTF shell and see if the primer cup is flush or depressed. If depressed deep enough so the firing pin could not reach it could be the cause for the FTF. HMB

4. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

my 1100 dosent like reloaded gun clubs,sts are fine. joseph

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Check the bolt handle in the slot on the bolt. When closed completely it is far forward toward the chamber. Some rounds don't chamber completely and the bolt handle is not completely forward. The firing pin will not reach the primer in this case.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I suspect the bolt was not completely closed (although very close to closed which is why it looked ok). Hammer energy was expended closing the bolt the remainder. Since the primer had no indent, it was either this or a very deep seated primer that even the inertia firing pin could not reach. This is highly unlikely given the firing pin protrusion the hammer strike causes.

7. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Firing pin spring. Broken pin would not give intermitent firing. Load the gun and point the muzzel up then come down to horiz. bet it will fire every time.

8. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

The broken firing pin return spring can act like the old "Chinese handcuff" and intermittently prevent the pin from full movement. If your spring is broken, make sure you replace it with the new style............ Larry

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It may be as stated earleir the resize process was in complete or the primer set to deeply in the base. Was the shell fired from a differnt gun?

10. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

As previously stated, if the bolt is not completely closed, the gun is not "in battery". It will look perfectly normal, the hammer will fall, but stop short of all the way forward enough to hit the firing pin. Looks, sounds, feels, normal though.

It is a safety feature is designed into the gun.

Aside from the usual advice, be sure to clean (wire brush) the area of the barrel/chamber where the shell case head "rim" rests; any crud or dirt there can result in "FTF".

Regards, GAP

Search tags for this page

1100 ftf fte

remington 1100 ftf

remington 1100 hammer will not fall intermittently

remington 1100 tactical ftf