1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybird_2000, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybird_2000

claybird_2000 TS Member

Recently bought a used Remington 1100 trap classic. I primarily have shot single shell trap with it by placing the shell on the carrier and snapping the bolt closed. The other day I tried doubles. After 15 doubles everything worked great. Then the second shell would no longer feed out of the magazine no matter what I did. The finger holding the shell in the magazine does not depress to allow the shell to pop into the carrier. I took the bolt and the trigger out looking for anything broken or unusual looking. Can't find a thing wrong with it. It still works great by just throwing a shell into the carrier. Wondering how that finger holding the shell ever gets depressed to allow a shell to pop into the loading carrier.

Wondering in Oregon
    Clay Partridge

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Sounds as if the entire thing need tore down and cleaned very good. The trigger assembly sounds as if a weed seed or something in there.

Corey

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have you taken a GOOD look at the action bars? On the right hand side (as the gun is shoulder mounted) about an inch or so behind where the action bar connects to the large cylinder, there is a small angled raised extension. This is what is supposed to trip the relase to let a shell out of the magazine and on to the carrier.

If this little angle is worn or broken, the shell will not be released. If you have a dummy round or two, put it into the magazine and then grip the gas cylnder and give it a slight twist to more fully engage the release. If the shell pops out onto the carrier, then repeat the process but twisting the bar away from the release,. If the shell does not release, then you could very well have a worn bar. Obviously a cracked or bent action bar can cause the same type of problem.

4. claybird_2000

claybird_2000 TS Member

Thanks "pyrdek" You were right on the money. Seems the slide bars notch to activate the finger release to allow a shell from the magazine is some worn so that it does not activate. Taking the Forearm off and twisting the slide bars one way activates the release. Since I got this Remington 1100 used and it appeared to be really clean and etc. wonder how much it has been shot to be worn down enough to malfunction like this. I shoot about 100 rounds a week. I really like to shoot simi autos since they are easy on the sholder and I don't have to do anything but point and shoot. But maybe they don't hold up as a main stay trap gun. In my early days I shot my Remington 870 for twenty years without a problem with the gun and it is still going strong but I am not.

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Glad to help.

If you have a good micro weld shop around, you can have them tack on a small, maybe .06 inch or a bit more, hard chrome weld on the extension and then CAREFULLY shape it with a Dremel tool or hard file to maintain the same angle but with a bit more height. This could give you a bit more use. Eventually you can figure on the bar breaking at the weld point because of welding induced heat stress but it might last for a year or two. At least mine lasted for about two years.

It does not take much height to make the difference. My problem first showed up when the weather got cold (~20 dg.) but on the warm days it would, usually, function ok. I finally found the problem by substituting the action bars from my 11-87. That confirmed the problem was in the bar. Then comparing the two showed the problem area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
problems shooting doubles with remington 1100
problems with remington 1100 loading

remington 1100 action bar problems

remington 1100 carrier release does not depress

remington 1100 common problems

remington 1100 does not release shell from magazine
remington 1100 shell carrier problems
shooting doubles with a remington 1100 trap gun problems