1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bakergun, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Hello
    I have a 12 ga. Remington 1100 that will not recicel.It fires ok and eject ok but then the bolt locks open. I have changed the bolt changed the trigger group with no help. Can someone please tell me what you think it might be. Thank you for any help.
    Pete

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When there is a round in the magazine it activates a latch that releases the bolt. Check that part to see if it is OK. HMB

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Take the trigger group out and bend the disconnector (looks like a finger sticking up on the right side of the trigger group)out more. It is probably not engaging under the interceptor latch causing the bolt to stay back. If you push the carrier up you can look inside the reciever (with the trigger group installed) and see what kind of engagement you have. Good luck. Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

One way to check the interceptor latch is to open the bolt and push the latch with your finger. If you start swearing and there is a little blood coming out of your finger, the latch is working properly.

I fondly remember in 1968 shooting my first 100 straight with an 1100 at the old Beaver Lake Gun Club (Arkansas) with my index finger wrapped in a paper towel to soak up the blood.

Pat Ireland

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks for the laugh Pat, I needed that!

It's only so funny because I've done nearly the same thing myself. Kinda like M1 thumb:)

ss

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

It may be as simple as needing a new magazine spring. A fresh round exiting the magazine under spring pressure is what trips the action to close.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It does this with two different trigger groups? Are you just loading one at a time for trap? If loading one at a time, most of the solutions for this type of malfunction deal with the trigger group. If you are getting the same malfunction with different trigger groups it suggests a problem other than with with the trigger group. And if just loading one at a time, it doesn't sound like an interceptor latch problem. Those are usually related to shells feeding from the magazine.

If you figure out the problem, please let us know what you find.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pete, where is the next shell in the gun when this happens? Is it still in the magazine? Is it part way out of the magazine? Is it resting on the lifter?

9. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Resting on the lifter

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    In a rough order to check....

The easiest thing to check is a weak magazine spring not driving the shell hard enough to strike and release the carrier latch. The magazine spring may be weak, rusted, kinked, or be sticky from crud.

If it is not already spotlessly clean, thoroughly clean the trigger group.

The carrier latch may be bent.

The intercepter latch may be mistimed.

The release button on the lifter may be sticking.

There can be several parts that are bent, including the carrier.

The last four items can be checked if you can temporarily swap the trigger group with another 1100. If the problem goes away, have a gunsmith repair the trigger group.

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've been shooting and working on 1100's for 45 years, and the Interceptor Latch is certainly the first place to investigate. But (big but), don't overlook the recoil spring in the stock. Weak recoil springs have the ability to cause the bolt to prematurely lock open.

Take the spring out,clean it and the tube and then check it for length. It should be just over 15 inches. If it's shorter replace it, or stretch it until you can get a new one (available lots of places, but I like Brownell's). They are cheap, and need occasional cleaning and replacement.

IMO,
    Kip

12. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Pete,

Take trigger assy out and make sure #60 the Interceptor latch in the #75 receiver is not bent and moving free and the spring is kicking the back side of it up hormonal with the receiver. Next check #39 the disconnector on the trigger assy make sure it moves freely and the lever that goes from it up to the trigger it's self moves. I hope this helps you on this, If you have any other question please ask.

thanks
    lee
    [​IMG]

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lee- Useful diagram but I have long been puzzled about the order of parts numbers. Why, on the diagram is part #32 between part numbers 81 and 90? Out of order numbers are hard for me to find.

Pat Ireland

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Pat,

If you have a part that is use in more than one place on a item, you only have one part number for that that part not several.

thanks
    lee

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Most likely the carrier latch is broken...part# 28. The area around the small pivot hole will crack, allowing the carrier latch to lean to one side and not let the carrier release. If the caarier does not unlock, it will prevent the bolt from moving forward.

Doug

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Part #28 has two little legs and sometimes one might break off. With the bolt open take a pencil or small dowel and push on the top of the latch and see if it releases the bolt. Keep your fingers out of the way of the bolt. HMB

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Since you have replaced the trigger group, and the bolt locks open with the next round sitting on the carrier, the next step is to check the mag spring and follower for binding or a fatigued spring.

The disconnector only keeps the SECOND round in the mag from double feeding. With one round in the mag, the 1100 will work without the disconnector. If the feed latch were bad, the round would stay in the mag, or slip back on the carrier in a double feed.

18. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I would recomend helicoptering that POS into the woods and buying a O/U !! Problem solved.... IMHO

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The 1100/'87 series refuse to die. They are easy to fix, point well, and have light recoil. Over the decades, there have been some great models with fabulous bore/choke combos.

There are so many of them around, they can be often be had at a great price.

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

New ammo or reloads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington model 1100 bolt will not open
remington 1100 carrier latch
remington 1100 carrier latch problem
remington 1100 common problems
remington 1100 disconnector

remington 1100 interceptor latch problems