1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Remington 1100 light weight 20 ga. ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Jun 21, 2013.

1. ouch

ouch Member

I'm helping coach a young female shooter that needs a low recoil 20 ga. For many years I've seen the 20ga. light weight remington 1100 mentioned.

Please give me the exact number/name of this gun and a serial number range to look for. Choke tubed vent rib barrel, right hand action.

Also is there an 11/87 or ? in current production that compares ? Thanks,Richard

2. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

You might want to consider a different route if low recoil is the goal.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Here is the one that we use with our youth program. see link. Mark

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington made three basic small frame 20ga autos.

The original was the LW-20. It has a short tang barrel, and the ejection port has the top and bottom parallel to each other. This model has fixed chokes only. It has long been discontinued.

The 1100 LT-20 has been in production for a long time, and in some versions still is. The barrel has a long tang. Barrels can either have fixed chokes or screw in choke tubes, depending on when the gun is made. The ejection port is "doglegged". The upper rear of the ejection port is higher than the front. This is because of the long tang on the barrel. This model has been made in a lot of different configurations, including field, upland, youth, and the current Sporting 20 model. This model was also made in a 3" Magnum version.

The 1187 20ga is very similar to the 1100 LT-20, including the dogleg ejection port and long barrel tang, except that it has a pressure compensated gas system to allow light 2-3/4" loads up to heavy 3" magnums to be fired in the same barrel. All barrels except for slug barrels have choke tubes. This model was made in Premier, Sportsman, upland and youth. There is a youth model currently available.

If low recoil is the goal, any of these models is what you want. They will cycle the light 2-3/4" 7/8 oz 2/5 dram cheap promo loads from Mao Mart. This is a lighter load than an unmodified 1100 or 1187 12ga will cycle.

Recoil is very low with these guns. Of the above models, the lowest in recoil is the 1100 LT-20 Magnum receiver with a 2-3/4" barrel. This is because of the heavier action sleeve. Next is the 2-3/4" LW-20 or LT-20. The 1187 20ga has low recoil, but the impulse is a bit shorter, making it just a slight bit sharper. This is because it has the lightest action sleeve, which is skeltonized.

These guns are built on the 28ga/410 frame, so the girth of the stocks is smaller, fitting small hands better. The guns are a bit lighter due to smaller receiver and barrel dimensions.

The youth versions came with 21" barrels. These may be a bit too short for trap. The 23" upland barrel is better but not common. The 26" and 28" barrels are better but weigh more and put the balance forward.

Barrels are absolutely, positively NOT interchangeable between these 20ga models. The LT-20 and LW-20 can swap forends, but not the 1187. Buttstocks are interchangeable.

You can alter a 12ga buttstock to fit the smaller frames. The tenon that fits into the back of the stock needs to be reduced in size. Nothing else is altered. The stock bearing plate in the back of the receiver can be used as a template, but you have to reduce the wood slowly, and test fit frequently. This allows putting a monte carlo or straight comb stock on these 20ga guns, making what is basically a 7/8ths scale trap gun. I have done this and used it for trap when I lost strength in my left arm (since fixed). I now use the gun for sporting clays with the monte carlo stock.

You can even go further and shorten the stock so the grip is closer to the trigger, but that will require removing the existing tenon and carving a new one. I did this on my daughter's gun.

The current 1187 20ga Youth Model has an adjustable length stock, done with buttpad inserts.

These guns will last kids many years. I had planned to have my daughter use my son's LT-20 when he moved up to a 12ga, but he likes that LT-20 so much that I had to get another gun for her.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As always, when it comes to info on Remington semi-autos, Brian is the man!

I have an LT-20, and the recoil is very, very soft. These guns are perfect for new shooters, men, women, and kids.

Recoil is no fun, and these guns will allow them to keep shooting until they have success, without wanting to stop because the recoil is getting to them.

6. ouch

ouch Member

Thanks to all of you that replied. I have passed on the info and we are all looking. Richard

Search tags for this page

remington 1100 20 ga light

remington 1100 20 ga lightweight
remington 1100 20ga long tang
remington 1100 light weight 20 ga
remington 1100 lt 20 ga weight
remington 1100 lt 20 weight

remington mod 1100 410

weight of remington 1100 20 gauge