1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 G3?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrrem3200, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I'm thinking of buying a Remington 1100 G3 20 gauge for sporting clays. Hasb abyone owned any of these guns? What are your thoughts?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

My thoughts? It's just the same Ol' Sally in a different dress. For that kind of coin, why not just get a 391, like so many others on the Sporting Clays field are using?

JMHO!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The biggest difference, other than cosmetics, is the overbored barrel. It's not backbored like the step rib trap barrels, which use relabeled Rem Chokes that take the backboring into account. The Pro-Bore barrel is larger, and uses Pro-Bore chokes that are not interchangeable with Rem Chokes.

From time to time these Pro-Bore barrels have been offered for sale here, and they'll fit any 1100. Unless you want the cosmetics, I'd suggest checking the Buy/Sell section here, and maybe posting a WTB ad.

As far as a 391 goes, I believe they are overpriced for what you are getting. They do break, they still need to be cleaned and cleaning them can be a chore, and on some models the ribs fall off. For the money they cost, I'd expect more. Are they better than the 1100? Yes, but not you're sure paying a lot for that. More important than which gun is better, I'd suggest you try both and see which one feels and handles better for you, and go with that.

4. Landshark

Landshark Member

Just look for an 1100 Sporting 20. The G3 is not worth the extra bucks for what you get. As far as autos go, they all break at some time or another. Pick what fits and shoot it.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    re: 20ga, I often use my 1187 20ga for sporting clays. It's almost ideal for the sport.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I guess I'm in the minority but I think the G3 is one of the best looking 1100's ever, if you could pick one up at a good price you couldn't go wrong. But you will be good with any 1100, the best and most winningest auto shotgun ever built.

7. zimmie

zimmie Active Member

I have a G3 20GA for ,sale $800.00 very good condition. email me if u are interested. zimmie

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The 20 ga. G3 is not over-bored, it is a std. Rem-Choke. The 12 ga. is Pro-Bore. Would be great if it was shimable like the Berettas. At one time, not that long ago Cabelas had them for $659-$699 range cased and all. I think they were closing out the 20 gauge series. I'm a Remmy fan for hunting guns but the G3 is nothing but a glorified 1100 field gun. What does it have over the old 1100 or 11-87? 3" chamber, can only shoot targets with 2 3/4" shells.

I own a 20 ga. 11-87 dealer Premier Edition and love it. Use it some for 5-stand and in the field. Glad I own it. Just not a serious clays gun in my opinion.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Go to a sporting clays course, or a tournament, and except for over and unders you will seldom see anything but Beretta 391's. This year's winner of the Sporting Clays U.S. Open shot a Beretta 391. It was shot by winners of the 2006 and 2008 National Championship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20g auge rem g3 1100
20gauge rem 1100 g3

remington 1100 g3

remington 1100 g3 20 gauge
remington 1100 g3 20 gauge for sale
remington 1100 g3 for sale
remington 1100 g3 forum
remington g3 20 gauge