1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 G3..............? Marketing flop?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I want to first say I'm not bashing the Remington G3 gun at all. I'm certainly not taking a shot at G3 owners (sort of envy them.....to a degree). My shotgunning in the field is exclusivly with Remington 1100's, 11-87's and 870 Wingmasters.

It appears that the G3 will be no longer. Have noticed the prices are way down on them to move them. The 20 gauge is alot lower vs. the 12 gauge (positive for me because I wanted the smaller gauge). Had to talk to Remington today to order a butt pad and BS'd about the G3. They said it never took off the way they expected. Not because of gun issues, just interest in it. My thoughts from the beguinning was that it seemed like a glorifed field gun with a big $$$$ price tag, $1100 ++.

I'm just keeping an eye on them to fall a bit more and pick up the 20 gauge. They don't market an 11-87 Premier model anymore. Everything is a synthetic(black or camo) and matte finish Sportsmen. The Sportsmen is a good utility grade gun. But, the wooden models seemed to have vanished from the Remington line up except for the target grades. The G3 was on the same level as the Sporting 12 and Sporting 20. The Sporting models may be a bit lighter but, I don't really see that as much of a positive.

I know there are alot of Remington fan out there, the same as I am (for hunting, "B" man for targets), just throwing it out there for opinions on the G3. Thanks, Spank

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I think Remington has made so many mistakes marketing it is a wonder they can stay in business. This company has the ability and the people to make world class products, but they fell prey "Marketing" and filling the big box stores with parkerized JUNK! Just for starters in the last 20 years they have abandoned the people who made this company prosperous and famous, that is the small dealer and the target shooter. Have you ever gone into a Wal Mart and asked the 18 year old kid behind the sporting goods counter (Who is wearing his tackle box on his face by the way!) for advice on your gun purchase?

Remington needs to re establish it's dealer network and drop the big box stores.They have to STOP PUTTING THEIR NAME ON THIRD WORLD CRAP! This means all of it! Guns,Clothing,knifes,toys etc. They also need to go back to the days of "Factory Service Reps" that actually deal with the END USERS at the big shoots! As for products they need to keep the G3, but they also need to get a "Real" Tournament Grade auto loader. This gun should be based on the 1100 but it will have an all steel Timmney style adjustable trigger, and you should be able to order stock dimensions with in limits. For example you should be able to order a Monte Carlo on a Skeet gun if you would like,once they have they need to get it into the hands of the TOP SHOOTERS! The also need to make a quality Over Under,not a piece of Junk like the Peerless and all it's failed variations.

What Remington needs to do is what Beretta has already done. I remember in the 70's the junk Beretta was selling,the Silver Snipe O/U etc.
    Beretta stopped selling junk and marketed a quality target gun,
    and put in the hands of the top shooters. When the shooters wanted changes they responded quickly and now they have taken Remington's share of the market. I think Remington can recover if they get back to basics.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's amazing how stupid Remington is being run. For example, I have a 300 Ideal that I am working on right now for a guy. This was the gun that replaced that TURD of an O/U known as the "Peerless". This Ideal is actually VERY well designed and would have been a very good gun IF they would have used receiver and forarm iron that wasn't as soft as melting butter! If they would have used better materials and offered it in a Trap, Skeet and Sporting clays configuration (very cheap and easy to do), they may have had something here....but NO, they had to only offer the field model with CRAP iron!

Now, don't get me started on that 105CTI disaster, aka "The most advanced auto every made"...what a joke. And now I see that they are producing a new pump that looks like it was designed by Mattel.

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

twoatlow8 & Tron

As an owner and shooter of Remingtons since 1972, I have to agree with your appraisals.

I still like and use the target grade 870 and 1100's, and would buy a new one today, but they can keep the 105, 887 and recent o/u's as well as the lower grades of 1100's, 11-87's etc. The G3's I handled were nicely made, I was surprised they didn't take off; perhaps a lot of the world wants "cheap and nasty" these days.

I had a Peerless, put about 15,000 rounds through it for recreational skeet and skeet leagues (an awful thing for a trapshooter to admit). I did not have any problems but did trade it to purchase a new Citori Lightning, I did not want to be stuck with it when the problems started.....and I knew they would sooner than later.

The 332 o/u was a classic case of market failure. I recall the ads for it taking a lot of space to compare it to the old 32. The problem was, IMHO, it was nothing like the 32 and with only about 15,000 32's made, production ceasing before most of us were born, I think most prospective buyers had never seen a 32 and quite a few would wonder what a 32 was.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I completly agree with twoatlow8 and tron. I've been a Remington owner and user since the mid 70's. They are a joke now. There are a few products they have that I like but, most of it is junk now and can't hold a candle to Browning or Beretta. I own a few "B" guns for targets and nothing they put out now can come close to them.

That new 887 pump.........I'm into waterfowling but, not with that. I've seen a few recent articles on it. Havn't see one up close in my hands.

6. nevin

nevin TS Member

I hope that they can pull their heads out before its too late, they have built some of my favorite guns. On a side note, I just recieved one of the G3 cases that a couple of guys are selling ( GB, & Ebay),nice case for for 65$ + shipping, Classic trap fits perfect.
    Nevin

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Remington is owned by Cerberus Capital Management, the private equity investment firm that also owns Chrysler. It's being run as a short-term profit operation, not a gun company.

Cerberus also acquired Bushmaster Firearms in April 2006, (they purchased Remington Arms in April 2007). Under Cerberus direction, Bushmaster Firearms acquired Cobb Manufacturing, a well-respected manufacturer of large-caliber tactical rifles in August 2007. Cerberus also acquired DPMS Panther Arms December 14th 2007. Remington Arms acquired Marlin Firearms in January 2008.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

The new pump that looks like a toy? You mean like any synthetic Benelli. Like the new Browning Maxum. Like the synthetic Cynergy. I bought my 11-87's new for 500 dollars. After thousands of rounds through both of them I am very happy with their performance. Several times I have shot with other shooters and their precious Berettas. Not impressed and they paid a lot more. In tournaments I have never had more than one failure to fire in 100 rounds. Spray on a little Breakfree and shoot another 100 rounds. I have seen as many or more problems with the Berettas other shooters were using. The Benellis that some of my friends use will literally kick the crap out of you. If I was given one I would immediately sell it. The Remington G-3's are beautiful guns. I would love to have one but am just as happy with my 11-87's. It has become very popular to bash anything made in America. This is to the detriment of all of us.

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

WHY SELL THE G3 IN A 150 BUCK HARDCASE? CARDBOARD BOX AND 150 DOLLAR LOWER PRICE WOULD HAVE SOLD ALOT MORE. THE CASE IS GREAT (I BOUGHT A FEW FOR MY TARGET AUTOLOADERS) BUT MOST HUNTERS USUALLY DO NOT LIKE BREAKDOWN CASES ANYWAY. THEY LIKE TO PULL EM OUT OF THE TRUCK ASSEMBLED AND GET TO IT! I SEE CLOSE OUT PRICES AS LOW AS 799. AT 650 WITHOUT THE CASE THEY WOULD SELL A TON OF THEM.

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Jaqua had one a little over a year ago when my son bought his 391. It cought my eye as I had never seen one.

Thats great value, the words the salesman used to describe it. I wasnt impressed with the laminated stock. The metal work looked good and it mounted well.

According to the salesman it was returned to the factory with a problem so they were selling it as a used gun. If I recall it came cased for less than 900. with a full factory warranty.

Regards...Gerald

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

What they need to do is get rid of the cheese grater rib, and go back to the impressed lines the guns of the 70s and 80s had.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of plastic guns or cheaped out versions of what could be good guns. I know, its market driven. I think we all got spoiled by the days when an 870 Remington could be had for about $250 and that was for a gun with nice blueing, a walnut stock, polished chromed bolt and a vent rib .. your choice of choke. Who would have ever considered a fantastic plastic POS when you could get something that nicely made?

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

There is nothing prettier than good walnut wood and highly polished bluing. But I have to admit I enjoy the simplicity of my 20 gauge camo 11-87. My guns are used as much for hunting as they are for target shooting. With the camo gun you don't have to worry about scratching it, water damage or even cleaning it. I used to hate them but now I think they look kind of cool. Same thing with black stocks and forearms. I wore the wood out on my 12 gauge 11-87. Bought the new synthetic stock and forearm. I kind of like the way they look and don't ever have to worry about water or scratching again.

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Lugnutz, has a good point about the $150 case but, they won't seperate them if they are packaged that way. The $150 case value is quite inflated I've seen them. The $650 gun version w/o case, heck, I'm jumping on a 20 gauge if I see that. I figure them to keep dropping some. But, how far will they go. The 20 ga. Sportsmen in black or camo synthetic go around $600-650, they are an auto version of the Express. A great utility gun. I'm not bashing them. But, I don't think there is any comparison between a Sportsmen and a 1100 G3/ 1100 Sporting. I thing there is a bit more fit and finish and a bit more attention to detail associated with them. Not world class though, but more in general. The G3 is a good shotgun not a flop. It's right there with the 1100's and 11-87's. The flop is with Remington. For years now they been into having many models and spins on everything. Putting out alot of cheap stuff on the Wally's and DICK'S level. I think they should go back to the old school models they once had and step up the quality some. It appears they only want to sell Express versions and days of polished blue and wood are gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 g3 remington

remington 1100 g3

remington 1100 g3 for sale

remington 1100 g3 review

remington g3

remington g3 for sale
remington g3 review
remington g3 shotgun