1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bakergun, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I would like to get some input on using a Remington 1100 for trap. I know that this model hold all the records but I have so much trouble with it when I am shooting trap. All I would like to know is if these things are normal occurrence .
    1st. it doesn't always catch the shells I have to keep moving the catcher back and forth
    2nd some time the shell turns around and get stuck in the chamber with the brass facing the wrong way
    3 rd some time the bolt doesn't open after firing
    4 some times the bolt opens and then closes and catches the shell before the shell is extracted all the way
    Do you think it is the gun or the reloads
    Pete

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Try a little more powder. Better than that, clean out the gas ports. Obviously the action is lacking vigor.

HM

3. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Halfmile
    I have cleaned this gun untill my fingers turned blue. I have been using the same load for I don't know how long, do you realy think that is the problem. I have even drilled the gas ports out with the proper drill

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Sounds like you need a new action spring. This is the one in the tube on the rear of the receiver.

When they start getting weak, all sorts of weird things happen.

ss

5. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

just put a brand new one in

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Spray the magazine tube with Breakfree. HMB

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Make sure the gun is clean and lubricated, I've shot an 1100 for thrity years once in awhile I get a hull that turns around and ends up still in the chamber. Most of the time by the time I'm ready to shoot again I have the problem fixed. Sounds to me like the gun is dirty

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Check the bbl lug indent. Full of residue or worn out

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My first thought was ss's suggestion of the action spring. While light loads should not be a problem with that gun...........what type of shell or reload are you shooting?

10. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

get a over/under and be done with it.

11. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am useing
    Win AA hulls
    17.5 gr. Red dot
    cb wt12 wades
    1oz. shot
    1200 fps
    I also put in a brand new action spring and o ring less then 2000 rounds ago

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100s like Breakfree lubricant. Spray with Breakfree and good things will happen. HMB

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

For items 3 & 4 - BreakFree CLP

Dunno about items 1 & 2.

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Just curious......have you tried a different trigger in this gun? If not, I suggest you do so.

Ken Rucker

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Put a new extractor in. That should handle 1 and 2. For 3 and 4, try what Ruck suggested which is another trigger assembly.

Now I have a question. What are you guys spraying down with the Break Free and such oils?

16. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Yes I put a Timney release trigger in

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Put a wire shell catcher in. It would need to be drilled. Use .055" piano wire. That will usually take care of the shell catcher problem. Make sure you have a deflector for doubles. Clean the gun well and keep the springs and wear parts up to date. Pay some attention to the barrel lug, since hardened fouling will collect there. It's hard to see sometimes, but it can be removed easily. I us a special brush that fits that bore well. Brownell's sells one made for that purpose.

I shoot an 1100 since I have issues with my left arm. It's light enough for me to hold it. It does shoot flat, but there are ways to fix that part of it.

18. capvan

capvan Active Member

Make sure the piston rings and O ring are in the right order. And make sure there's not a O ring trapped in the gas port fixture on the barrel.

Bruce

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I agree with headhunter,get rid of the auto loader and get a break open gun!!!!!!!.Problems solved.
    Sandy Holehouse

20. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Well gentlemen I think I have figured out what was wrong the only problem that I can find is to clean it good which I have been doing. but the trick with this gun is after you clean it good don't oil it keep the magazine tub the rings completely dry. That is what Remington recommends in the owner manual but that is contrary to what I have done all my life. I cleaned it good before I went shooting and just ran a silicone rage over it lightly well the first 25 rounds went fine then the second 25 I had to pull the bolt back every time to eject the shell. When I came home I striped it down like always but this time I found the magazine tube all gummed up the rings wouldn't even slide down the barrel they were stuck in the barrel lug so I cleaned it again but this time left it dryyyyyyyyyyyy .I took it out back and it fired flawlessly. I will take it back to the range tomorrow and see how it work out. I also moved the shell catcher back all the way and that seems to help. The morel of the story so far is read the owners manual. I will keep you posted. Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 for trap

piano wire modification to reminghton 1100 to catch shells

remington 1100 bolt catch

remington 1100 for trap