1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 for Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lets C 1, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lets C 1

lets C 1 TS Member

I bought a nice field grade 1100 for my occasional round or two of sporting clays. The problem I'm having the gun won't cycle 2-3/4 dram loads. I've tried a variety of different shells & can't find what it likes. Anybody have the same problem & is this correctable?
    Thanks

2. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

I purchased an 1100 16 gauge sythetic stock model. I bought a synthetic monte carlo stock and put on it. I added a different front sight. I have been shooting it this winter as a sporting clays gun. Where I shoot it has been in the single digits here lately. The gun never malfunctions. I even came across some of those old red Activ plastic shells and this things cycles them flawlessly. Make sure it stays clean and the mag tube stays free of oil. I love mine.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If your gun is chambered for the 2 3/4" shell, it should function with about ANYTHING.

If you are not familiar with the gun, take it to a 'smith. If you can take it apart, clean it, check the gas rings and make sure they are assembled correctly and make sure the barrel seal (rubber O-ring) is ok.

If you want to remove the trigger, removing the bolt and action slide FIRST simplifies re installation of the trigger and protects the shell latch from damage. Push the shell follower in with the gun upside down, and push in on the shell latch. With the barrel off, the bolt and action slide will come right out. Obviously, the gas rings must be off the mag tube first. It this is making your eyes roll back in your head, take it to a 'smith.

Generally, when these guns won't work, the piston is backwards on the mag tube. Look at the gas rings. Piston seal goes on first, and is flat with a concaved area that goes to the FRONT. Piston has a convex area in the rear that fits into the piston seal and a reduced diameter in the FRONT. The GOOD barrel seal (O-ring) goes in front of these rings in the groove in the mag tube. Make sure the gaps in the rings are 180 degrees apart. Also, insure the mag tube is clean and free of powder residue.

If you have a newer one piece piston, make sure the flat side is toward the rear and the ring gaps are 180 degrees apart. Some folks like the old setup, some like the new. The old setup tends to be more reliable if the firearm is neglected. I personally prefer the one piece assy'.

If you have a three incher, you may need to enlarge the barrel orifice (gas port) to ensure proper functioning. Be aware this will end your three inch guns ability to shoot the big loads.

Let us know.

4. capt jay

capt jay Member

remove all oil from around the tube and the two rings also check the two holes in the barrel ring should be open

5. Robb

Robb Member

I think with very light loads the two piece ring setup is the way to go. I remember a friend having trouble and going back to old style rings solved his problem. His load was pretty light.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have no trouble with my loads because I load to 9000+ PSI. The 1100 in question should work with factory fodder.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Is it a 2-3/4" barrel or a 3" magnum barrel?

8. Robb

Robb Member

I hear ya Coach and agree but it did solve his problem. I do not remember his load or even if it was a reload or not. He is gone now, so no way to know.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Is the gun used, a good complete break down and cleaning is a must. There is a great thread on shotgunworld.com on cleaning the 1100. I believe someone here posted a very good one also.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

All though targeted for the gold has good all around auto loader cleaning tips.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Cabela's -- Guidebook StoryThe first thing I want to look at is a statement in the Browning Gold owner's manual under Initial Cleaning: "Various exposed metal parts of your new gun ...
    www.cabelas.com/story-123/oseka_browning/10203/Deep%252Bcleaning%252Byour%252BBrowning%252BGold.shtml - 56k - Cached - Similar pages
    Google cleaning browning gold. Cant get link to work!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The problem is correctable. Just do what shooting coach said. The only thing I would add is if you lube the mag tube use Break Free. HMB

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is a good read for the 1100, from the remington historical club.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BreakFree CLP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best sporting clay shells remington competition 1100

preparing an 1100 for sporting clays

rem 1100 for clays

rem 1100 sporting clay

remington 1100 for sporting clays

remington 1100 sporting loading issue