Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington 1100 firing pin advice

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Jack 
#1 ·
I was getting the hang of my 1994 vintage 1100. After about 350 shots, it quit. I was half way through my third squad on Saturday when it failed to fire. Upon examination, there was no dimple in the primer. Tried again, then again, all three with the same results - no dimple in the primer.

The gun is clean - spotless. I cleaned it the night before and made sure all was clean and dry. I am ASSUMING that the firing pin or spring is broken. From what I read, this isn't common, but still possible.

QUESTION: Is this a repair that an average person could do at his home workbench, or would it be best to let a gunsmith handle it? Note that I am not a complete klutz, but most of my tool skills started to fade 40 years ago.

Larry

#2 ·
It might not be the firing pin and or spring. Check the rear of the bolt, there is a plastic buffer on some bolts that when broken can block the hammer from hitting the firing pin. Also the primer in the shell you were trying to fire might have been set too deep for the pin to reach it. HMB

#4 ·
GrandpasArms....I've had a 1100 for 47yrs now. It's easy to take the bolt out and look at it from the underside to see if the pin or spring is broken. They've told you how to replace it/them. The best thing to do is buy an extra complete bolt assembly ; and, if you have a problem while shooting
, can be back in business in minutes

#6 ·
Just make sure the hammer is making through the Link. I had one that had some worn parts in the trigger assembly that allowed the hammer to hang on the link. A bent Link is also a possibility, but likely would prevent the bolt from going back all the way. That said, I've had a few firing pin springs that had broken and wound the two pieces together, There is a new redesigned firing pin spring that is "supposed" to alleviate that. It has a small section in the middle that has the coils spaced differently. If they break and wind up, they can prevent the pin from going forward with enough force to fire a primer.

#7 ·
Good call, HMB. The rear plastic buffer piece isn't completely broken, but there is a large chip missing and it looks heavily worn.

One final thing. The firing pin broke off from the rear piece that's pinned into the rear of the bolt. When I removed the bolt assembly, the internal parts dropped out.

I blame these problems on some cheap ammo. I fired a round at trap and didn't notice the hull didn't eject. I dropped in another, released the latch and all hell broke loose. It took several minutes of pushing, prying, and pulling to get the breach open and the original trapped hull out of the barrel.

I am following TomBs advice and ordering a new bolt assembly today.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.