1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Feed Latch Replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeeljc, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Does anyone have experience replacing the feed latch on a Remington 1100?

Brownells has two different tools for staking the feed latch in place. Just wondering which one works the best.

One tool is by Tom Menck and uses a hammer to do the staking.

The other tool by Gun Runners uses the turn of a bolt to do the staking.

Jim Skeel

2. leftex

leftex Active Member

I have the one you whack with a hammer. Works great.

Wayne

3. trw

trw Member

Re-staked an ancient 870 Wingmaster made up trap gun this past summer. It was done using a fabricated/home-made tool that was made from a pair of standard straight jaw locking pliers with the top of the top jaw ground away for clearance and the botton jaw milled/ground flat w/leather pad glued on to prevent any marking on receiver's outside. Top jaw had the 'staking point' welded into a drilled hole in the top jaw close to the front. It would not be difficult to make yourself one, if you are handy. Irrespective of tool used, be sure that you have the pins in place as locators when staking the latch(s).

And on an 870 put the pins back in the receiver whenever you have the trigger removed & don't go to pumping it; having them out & messing around is how most of those latches get knocked loose to begin with & there are two of them in an 870 rather than just the one like in an 1100!!!

On an 1100, I think it [loose latch syndrome] is caused by/from folks not quite getting the trigger lined up correctly for reinstallation and trying to force it, but I won't swear to that.

kind regards, trw

4. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I used 5 minute epoxy on mine about 5 years ago and it work just fine for singles and multi-feeds. Clean that groove with alcohol real well. Apply epoxy and insert feed latch. Use clamps to hold in place until glue sets.

After that, WHEN REMOVING/INSERTING TRIGGER PINS, PUSH THEM TOWARDS THE EJECTION WINDOW. Do that and the epoxy should last a good long while. Pushing the pins away from the window is the cause of the feed latch being knocked loose.

Chris

5. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Listen to Ontario Chris; I did this on both of my 1100's except I used super glue. Always press the trigger pins out toward the latch--never away from it.

Doc

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A gold mine of information on this site...

I have the one that you hit with a hammer, but I like the idea with the glue.

Next time I will do both, as I have two guns where they tend to pop out from time to time.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks for all the ideas.

I ordered the one you smack with a hammer from Brownells.

The front end broke off on my 410 Sporting. I removed the broken latch by driving it to the rear to shear off the staked material then popped it out with a punch inserted through the trigger pin hole.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
home made staking tool for rem 1100
how to put feed latch back in remington 1100
install remington 1100 feed latch
installing feed latch on rem 1100

remington 1100 feed latch

remington 1100 feed latch installation

remington 1100 feed latch replacement

remington 1100 feed latch staking tool