1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I was thinking about purchasing one of these guns for a backup and for shooting sporting clays on the weekends. Can anyone give me a little feedback?

thanks in advance

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The one I shot was very smooth cycling and never missed a beat. The wood was nice and the adjustable comb was very neat in appearance and worked well. It's a Timney trigger away from a really nice gun.

ss

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Uh Fred,

I'm thinking from his post he's looking for a back-up sporting clays gun, not a back-up trap gun.

ss

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100 triggers are easy to fine tune. Once its done you will have very competitve gun. HMB

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Well, I actually do own one. I picked up a Comp in 2006 when they first came out and I have grown to like it very well. Mine has about 18 to 20K thru it now. I've replaced the gas O-ring, but just routine, not for damage.

The Comp has an upgraded trigger - take that for what it's worth, but it is much better than the later 1100's. The magazine tube is coated like the receiver and functions better also. I do shoot all my auto's 'wet' with Slip 2000, but I find my Comp the best at functioning everything I put through it. Including, my 3/4 oz. 1150 reloads.

I originally purchased it to shoot Doubles with, added a barrel button, adjustable comb & pad, and a Briley Spectrum Mod. choke. I tapped my first x100 with it shortly after getting it back from the stock work.

I also shoot a lot of 5-stand and Sporting and it has become my gun of choice for those games. I got a 30" barrel, and when I do it again, I'll go to the 28", just because I do shoot a lot of 5-stand. The gun, like all Remington's just seems to fit my hands.

I've been waiting for a good used Comp to show up at a reasonable price to add to the safe. Prices just seem to be headed for the moon lately? I don't hesitate to recommend the Comp to anyone looking for an 1100.

IME,
    Kip

6. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Fred is right I'm a trap shooter but I figured the 1100 would mainly be for sporting clays and if something happened to my K-80 I could shoot it at trap.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Remington 1100 Sporting was an excellent sporting clays gun in four gauges. I say "was" because I understand the sporting models now comes with the same 30" barrel as the Competition. The concensus of everyone I know who has shot the gun is that it is barrel heavy with a 30" barrel( though the trap model is not)
    30" barrels are fine on a Beretta 391 and any O/U. Apparently Remington felt there is a bias against 28" barrels for sporting clays and chose to go to a 30" barrel.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm about as true blue and dedicated as you can get to hunting with Remington Field guns. Classic Wingmasters, 1100's and 11-87's are tough to beat in the field. I own a Sporting 12 and there is alot to be desired in that gun. Too light, no meat on the butt stock, non-adjustable and nothing but a glorified field gun. The G3 1100 and Comps are the same thing. These guns couldn't hold a candle to one of the Beretta AL 391 Optima Sporting versions. I own a 391 and will stick to my opinion. A target crushing gun that's trouble free.

9. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have a Compuiytiyion 22"with barrelland a Modified external tube. This guy points quick and each day I shoot it more and more I love it that much. It does the job for what I want it to to. (Rich.inAz.orinnamenly)

10. dubois

dubois Member

I have a Remington 1100 Competition w/ adjustable comb that will grade 95%, 5 ProBore chokes SK,IC,LM,M,F. price $950.00 Steve

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I dont own one...BUT...my sporting clay shooting partner bought a 28" one last January because he was becoming recoil sensitive. He shot it for 3 months and sold it to buy a 30" 391. He told me that the 391 was a much better pointer and more reliable for him. He is very happy he sold the 1100.

12. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I regret selling my 30" Competition to a fellow skeet shooter. The Competition has an overbore barrel and crushes skeet targets. With a 'trap' choke in it I;m sure it would hit targets as hard as an XT. The only bad thing about a Competition is the cheesey comb adjuster H/W. Get the gun without adjustable comb and then have Tron do one for you! It would work great for Sporting & trap b/u in my estimation.

13. mag410

mag410 Active Member

If you all ready have an 1100, I have a 30" 1100 Competition barrel. Comes with a flush Modified ProBore choke $275

Michael Goines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.