1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

What does anyone think about the Remington 1100 Competition gun for a ladies first time trap gun? Thanks as always for the input and feedback - you guys have been great..... this is fun already and I haven't even found a gun yet!! Jill

2. BMC

BMC Member

I had one for a while. It was a beautiful gun. In fact to date I still think it was one of the most beautiful shotguns I've owned. I used it for all of the trap disciplines. As far as shooting goes, it didn't "shoot" much different than my regular 1100. If it were me, knowing what I know now, I'd try to locate an 1100 Classic Trap in good condition and use the saved money to have the comb made adjustable and an adjustable buttpad installed. You'll have a gun you can fit to YOU and still have funds left over for shells, etc. All of this of course is based on you having already decided that you want an 1100 instead of an O/U or other brand of semi auto.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Remington 1100's are fantastic guns, very soft shooters. They often shoot flat, with a 50/50 pattern and are a little muzzle heavy for new shooters. A plus with a muzzle heavy gun is it does help you develop a smoother swing, providing you don't give up on it, but you can shoot behind the birds until you get the hang of it. You can buy an after market barrel with a higher rib and higher shot pattern if you desire.

Other soft shooters are Winchester Super X 1,2 or 3's, Benelli's, (higher cost), Beretta's and the no longer made SKB 900XL, also a flat shooter, but light weight, balanced well and very soft shooter. The Browning Gold is used by a lot of lady shooters and is supposed to be the same as the Winchester SX3.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, if you buy a used 1100 trap, that may not have an adjustable comb, you can buy a stock from Jack West for some $250.00. Other barrels, can be had with choke tubes if the one you buy does not have it, and there are even some release triggers for them out there, if that is something you want to look at later. One more thing.....you can buy 2 or more for spares or backup guns and interchange parts with no problem.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jill, the 1100 comp is a beautiful gun. But for a dedicated trap gun....no.

It shoots too flat, 50/50.

Are you sure you need an auto for trap? Are you just shooting singles? Or do you want to shoot doubles, skeet, sporting clays, having a problem with recoil?

Give us (TS.COM) more details, and you will get lots of info. Wayne

6. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

1100's are great 4, since they first came out, last one 1983 trap t.
    Good luck.
    Railroad

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Prob the easiest gun to get started shooting trap with. I recommend it highly

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

The "Competition" version is too heavy for my tastes. Heavier walled barrel and the balance is off - in my opinion (I am used to the old 1100s)

9. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I may as well throw in my $.02 worth. I'm very fond of 1100's, especially for beginning shooters. Soft recoil, dependable, easy to fix when they do mess up, just not much to say against them. I'm not familiar enough with the Competition version to comment on it, but I own a couple of the 'regular' 1100's and like them a lot. The disclaimer would be, I'm probably biased since my first shotgun was the predecessor, an 11-48, and I shot that gun from about the age of 11 or 12 up til I was past 30, and it was my 'do everything' shotgun - had to be, I didn't own any others! I'm a little prejudiced toward Remington autos, you might say.
    Oh, and you will see any number of top-notch shooters using 1100's along with a few of the other autos, when they could probably be shooting anything they want to. Tells you something, in my opinion.

10. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

A fine gun, especially for a new shooter. Get an adjustable comb stock in order to get the gun shooting where you're looking.

What Daro Says!

-Pat

11. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Sometimes I shoot my 1100 which has a 10-round extended magazine. A little more weight which steadies swing through.

12. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

I'm not sure yet what I want to shoot..... I'm just getting started. I do want something with VERY LITTLE recoil because years ago, that it was used to intimidate me about guns. I would guess that if I do well I would like to start shooting other things but for now just going to hang with the people I know and they shoot trap. Do they really make an all around gun? I also can't spend tons of money - I was hoping to get my first gun under 1000.00 although if I found something that really suited me and was multi purpose I would consider higher. I have an Ithaca 12g. featherweight o/u for the field that I though about trading in but then I don't have a field gun (we have a bird dog now so I may get back out in the field - I got tired of being the "dog" if you know what I mean!! LOL) I really appreciate any help!! Jill

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are several types of guns folks at your local clubs would let you try, then make up your mind.

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use my 1100 skeet "B" with a 30' VR barrel on it for trap. I have used that gun since 1977 when I bought it from a friend for hunting, trap, sporting and skeet. It works fine for everything for me. Most people like a little higher shooting gun for trap, but this works best for me. You could get an adjustable comb or monte carlo stock for it realativly cheap and for my money they are the best all around softest shooting, easiest to repair gun you can find.

15. raymerlo

raymerlo Member

Go with the Remington classic trap,you won't be sorry,also keep the Ithaca
    for the field

16. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

My wife shoots a Rem. Comp. I cured the muzzle heavy situation by machining a steel plug to insert in the stock hole, it balanced the gun out. The Competition is a very light recoiler. I had Ken Rucker install an adjustable butt plate, it fits her much better now. We also bought the model with the adjustable comb. The plating makes the gas mechanism much easier to clean. I highly recommend the Competition model. Every gun I've seen has beautiful upgraded wood.

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Competition was intended to grab a piece of the fancy, expensive sporting clays guns market that Beretta was getting with their $1,300 (now $1,700) Beretta Teknys Gold Sporting and Browning with the fancy engraved Gold Golden Clays. That market was created because many sporting clays shooters preferred semi's, but wanted a gun as fancy as some of the O/U's.
    The gun has basically been a flop. I have never seen even one at any sporting clays competition - or trap shoot either for that matter.
    The 30 year old fixed choke 1100's were the best. The famous "barrel" law suit forced Remington to make heavier barrels, and they changed other parts to reduce production cost that detracted from the gun (gas ring system and barrel support, to name two).
    If you want an 1100 you should get a Classic trap to shoot trap, as has been suggested.

18. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting an 1100 competition for sporting clays for three years.
    (Prior to that I used the 11-87 SCNP with more repairs than I care to remember for 7 years.) I shot 8000 registered targets with it last year, in the vicinity of 10,000 practice rounds also. It's a vast improvement over the older 1100's in that it's overbored and most of the internal parts are nickel/teflon coated, which increases parts longevity and most important functionality. Balance and weight can be issues that if adjusted to personal tastes will suit your needs.

It's a flat shooter. I cover the birds to kill them in trap. Most T-shooters would not prefer to do that.

Besides the nice fit out of the box and the reliability, the price is fair. 99% of the time if there is a problem, I can fix it myself. It's a super soft shooter. I like to use 7/8th oz. Win. AA int. loads when I can find and afford them with modified choke. Really puffs those clays.

My opinion on this gun for a woman. A little too heavy. Try the 1100 trap or
    build your own custom 1100 and use lighter loads.

Absoloutley disagree with the gun being a flop. I would never shoot a 391 for many reasons, although I would not regard it as a flop. I've tried the 390, 391, Benellis, Brownings etc. They all have a following, but you should try
    them before you condemn them. If I did not use the 1100 comp., I would go to a Super X-1.

Jeff Kosharek

19. BMC

BMC Member

This was my 1100 Comp I had a few years ago. Sold it to buy an XT. But it was a fun gun to shoot. I've only seen one other one on a trap range though. If I didn't need the funds for the XT I would have kept it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

The gun MUST fit you. The 1100 will kick you if it does not fit. A break open gun that fits you will kick less than the 1100 that does not fit. What ever gun you get go to a fitter that knows what they are doing to have it fitted to you. The enjoyment factor and scores will go up on a well fitted gun

Good Shooting

Arnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is the new remington 1100 ok for trap shooting
remington 1100 classic trap vs competition

remington 1100 competition

remington 1100 competition for trap
remington 1100 competition review
remington 1100 competition wood
remington 1100 wood stock