1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Competition vs. Beretta Teknys

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by den1100, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. den1100

den1100 Member

There is a Teknys at our club, that is probably an 8/10 for sale. Or, for the same price there is an unfired 1100 Competition, adj. comb model as well. I've owned and own many 1100's, but not a Teknys. I've got a Timney, Wenig stock for one of my hotrod 1100's, and can't miss. I know the 1100 inside and out. I would use it for sporting clays only, shooting about 1200 rnds a year. Opinions?

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Seems like your interested in something different. Why not? I like the Urika versions. I own a AL391 Urika Trap Optima and a Urika 2 Sporting Optima. I wouldn't have bought the second one if I didn't like the first. The first Teknys I saw had the finish flaking on a new gun. I've seen the finish flaking on others. I believe the guns are great but I not interested in that problem or the fact of trying to resolve it with the factory if it were to happen to me. I'm sure it doesn't happen to all of them.

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have both and I like the Beretta over the comp.The stock is to small on the comp.I like my field grade 1100 better than the comp.Put a different stock on it and it feel's great.My buddy did that with his comp. and I will follow his advice soon.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

"I've got a Timney, Wenig stock for one of my hotrod 1100's, and can't miss." That kind of says it all, if it ain't broke don't fix it. However, if you just desire another gun and most of us do, go for it. The old saying, watch out for the man who only owns one gun has a lot of truth to it. Personally, I would invest in an O/U for sporting clays, the shorter overall length and better balance makes for quicker target aquisition.

Robert

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

For only 1200 birds a year, I'd do the Rem. You know them, prefer them, and shoot em well.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Remington for me also.

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Blonde or Brunette,,,,sounds like you have what you want and need,,,,are you trying to pull a Tiger Woods????

8. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

The beretta won't handle the same as you are used to. Balance factor goes to the 1100.

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

THE POI ON A COMP IS NOT LIKE AN 1100 TRAP. YOU MIGHT TRY ONE FIRST

10. blaster

blaster Member

Ive have both. I would say that the 391 is a better gun. You can run them into the ground. If some thing breaks on 391 is much easyer to work on. You have the shims in the stock and adj comb.

11. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Teknys is a better gun in my opinion. Beretta made this series very durable and in I think they are very unique.

12. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

After years of being a diehard 1100 guy, I bought a like new 391 Teknys Trap. Real nice adjustable gun. Very soft shooting. Picked right up where I left off with my scores. I give the nod to the 391. But, if you shoot your hotrod 1100 real well and do not shoot many targets why not just use it. Unless you have the itch...

Chris

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot sporting clays tournaments every week I can find one in my area. I started with an 11-87 but now shoot a Mossberg 930. You are only averaging a box a week at 1200 rounds a year. The Remington should last forever at that rate. I still have my 11-87 and shoot it sometimes. It was and is a good gun for me.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    At least the rib won't fall off of the 1100.

And don't worry about the buttstock. If it doesn't fit, that's an easy and relatively inexpensive remedy on an 1100. Walnut stocks range from $100 used to $250 new from Rem, and used ones are also in this range depending on what they are and what's been done to them.

As for being used to an 1100, that was my thought with 1187s. I've gone 1187 and 1100 for almost all my shotguns, and equipped all of them, even the camo field models, with monte carlo stocks so the POI is the same for any sport or hunting. Except for weight and in some cases barrel weight, they handle about the same and feel very similar. I'm one of those who has problems switching between different shotguns with different POI, etc.

15. den1100

den1100 Member

Thanks to all for your input. Wow, all over the map. I appreciate your different views. I guess you could say there is a bit of an itch there, Chris. Robert, I've got the over and under category handled with a Special Sporting that Lak has worked with me to get it to fit perfectly. That one I use for International Skeet, shooting around 250-500 rnds a week when the stars are alligned. We just had a 3 bird shoot at our club you see, and one of the old timers said he wanted to get rid of his Teknys. They are not bringing them in to Canada anymore someone said. Since posting I have had a look at his Teknys, and it seems to be showing signs of beginning to peel. I have shot them before, and was quickly reminded of how narrow the fore end feels. My Sporting 410 even feels like theres more to it up front. I also have a tough time switching between different shotguns (entirely to do with the brain, not the gun.) As far as the stock fit, that's why I've thought about the adjustable comb. I like a high gun. As far as fitting the stock to the gun so it fits me, I've got tricks for that, that involve tweeking the spring tube, shimming, filing, etc.. Not too worried about that. Also, I'm so used to a 30" barrel now. In adopting a Comp gun for a while, I'd have the Timney that I could slide in right away ( 2 1/2 lbs and 0 creep.) In closing, the Teknys did not feel like anything that I'm used to (grew up on an 870.) There's fellas that say that the 1100's aren't suitable for big shoots down in South America and such, where your shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds a day. We help the farmers out around here with starlings shooting up to a flat each in 20 minutes with 1100's and as long as you take care of the gun for 3 or 4 minutes at the end of the day, no troubles at all. Keep a couple spare O rings in your bag, some G96, a rag, and your good. So, the Comp Gun it is for the 3 bird shoots and the 5 stand. As far as the blondes or brunettes comment, eighty percent of them don't have the carpet matching the drapes anyway. So again, that's something I can work with, too... All the best to you all and your families in the coming year. It WILL be excellent.

16. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

There's always a 'New Kid On The Block' - Flash in the pants etc. etc.
    Don't pay any attention to the "if you only shoot 1200 rounds a year get the 1100". Buy it, shoot the hell out of it, but keep it clean. It's like a good marriage. I have 2 (Trap and Skeet) - probably over 30,000 rounds combined, and they both have the original o'rings.

I'll also agree that the Beretta is one hell of a gun and I don't want to start an argument about that. I love Beretta's too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
berets 391 vs remington 1100 comp
beretta a391 vs remington
remington 1100 competition synthetic weight
remington 1100 competition vs beretta 391
remington 1100 or beretta
remington 1100 sporting premier vs over and under
remington 1100 vs beretta a391 urika

remington model 1100 competition versus beratta 300