1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Competition/Timney Trouble FOUND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by den1100, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. den1100

den1100 Member

I just purchased an 1100 Competition a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I did was remove my Timney from an 1100 Field grade and throw it into the Comp gun. We had a 3 bird shoot on the weekend and I was having troubles getting the gun to cycle properly. It was very intermittent. It would cycle all 3 shells, then get hung up on the second shell, or sometimes not get hung up until the third shell. The shell was getting hung up before it could be fed into the chamber. I'd have to quickly reach under and press the release to keep firing. Tough to concentrate doing that... It didn't matter the Ammo, Winchester, Kents and Fiochii's were getting hung up. Any ideas where to start. I'm so frustrated, I haven't even looked at it since yesterday. Cheers.

2. f18

f18 Member

Did you make sure your barrel was turned down tight if it's not the gun won't cycle all the time.

3. dentexark

dentexark Member

With my Remington Competition, if I kept it clean and shot it "wet", then it would cycle properly. If i didn't, then I had the same results as you. Good luck!

4. dentexark

dentexark Member

With my Remington Competition, if I kept it clean and shot it "wet", then it would cycle properly. If i didn't, then I had the same results as you. Good luck!

5. dentexark

dentexark Member

6. dentexark

dentexark Member

7. dentexark

dentexark Member

8. dentexark

dentexark Member

9. dentexark

dentexark Member

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you purchased used it may be time to change the spring in the stock. I've also found a bit of buildup in the magazine tube in the past and now do an annual cleaning of the tube.

I use BreakFree to clean, seems to work well. I shoot 1100's dry.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Gas ports.

HM

12. den1100

den1100 Member

Thanks guys. The gun was bought new from a Remington dealer, but showed signs of being shot. One of the gas ports was plugged about 50% with some type of a fibre, which was retracted with a small telescoping magnet. Not sure what that was... I made sure the ports, and gun were clean before I went out, and the gun was tight and 'dry'. I have had much success shooting my 1100's dry. I'm not convinced it's the ports, as the gun cycles to open, and then gets hung up.

The spring in the stock is quite a bit stiffer than my older 1100 field gun. As for the magazine tube spring, I will be pulling that apart today. It appears fine.

My take on it so far, is that the shells are not coming out hard enough to trip the "latch" on the Timney trigger to feed the next shell up, thus causing the action to remain 'open'. I have never had this issue on my older field gun, using the same Timney in it.

I was hoping some Timney guys would chime in...

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100s like Breakfree Lube, leave the magazine tube wet on the outside and give it a try. Another thing to check for is a broken leg on the carrier latch. HMB

14. den1100

den1100 Member

HMB, just checked, no broken leg. Hmmmm

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a 1187 Competetion and I bought a Timney Steel Release for it and it works fine w/ both triggers.

Sometimes there is a problem with the shell release and it gets bent from rough trigger installation.

Check it out.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. dentexark

dentexark Member

17. dentexark

dentexark Member

18. dentexark

dentexark Member

19. 333t

333t Member

I had a similar problem with a Timney Speedlock trigger in a 1100 Trap. The Speedlock hammer has a shorter stroke and stronger hammer spring than the stock trigger which makes the Speedlock hammer a little harder to cock. Im my 1100, the difference was enough to cause frequent failures to cycle the action, especially with 1 oz. loads. I ended up going back to a stock trigger and everything worked fine, even with the lighter loads. If you have a Speedlock hammer in your trigger, this could be your problem.

Phil

20. den1100

den1100 Member

ok, i get it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

timney 1100 trigger problems