1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bud Johnson, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bud Johnson

Bud Johnson Member

Has anyone seen and/or tried the new Remington 1100 Synthetic Competition?
    All I have been able to see is in the catalog. Was wondering what they have done to tune it as they say and what type recoil reduction system are they using! It looks interesting as I have to have an adjustable comb and stock(to 15 1/2 LOP). Thinking of getting one of these(if I can find one) and try for awhile at Sporting Clays.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Many thanks and shoot straight.

Bud Johnson
    512-258-3959
    marinebud01@aol.com

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

We have three fellows at our local range who use them.

They love them and shoot 'em well.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I don't have a lot to report but I have seen one, held & examined it and watched it in use.

I was very surprised to see one here in Canada, we usually don't get the new stuff in the first year it is out; at least in my experience.

This was at a meat shoot early in Dec. 2011, trapshooting for the prizes, not a card shoot.

The owner had picked it up a few weeks previously.

Fit and finish looked good for a gun in this price range.

The gun functioned flawlessly all day at the shoot and the owner was very pleased with it, so far and said it has worked very well.

It had a larger white front bead than what they were putting on 1100 Classic Traps a couple years ago (Why they went to the small bead, I don't know but it is good to see this trend reversed IMHO). The rib had a nice matting pattern instead of the "wood rasp" heavy knurling they tried along with the small beads a few years ago.

I liked the "feel" of the gun, but I have shot Rem. 870TB, 870TC for 35 years and my current gun is a 2005 manufacture 1100 Classic Trap.

The 1100 Classic Trap fits me perfectly "right out of the box" and I am usually a walnut stock sort of guy but I could be temped by a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic

4. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Hi Bud,

There was an informative thead about the 1100 Competition Synthetic that took place here on Trapshooters.com back in September. I've added a link to the thread above. I own an 1100 Comp Synthetic and contributed to that thead. I still have the gun and continue to be very happy with it. It has functioned very well with no trouble cycling rounds (about 5,000 by now). It is the softest shooting 12 gauge gun that I have ever shot. Since owning it I have had the opportunity to compare it to all of the various Beretta 390 and 391 target guns as well as the Benelli Sport II and Super Sport. The 1100 Competition is without doubt the softest shooter of the lot. I also own Beretta's and Benelli's and I love those guns. I think that the B guns have a better build quality than the Remington, but I think they should since they cost more.

One thing to note about the Comp Synthetic is that the recoil system does not adjust for length of pull. In order to adjust the length of pull you will need to change the recoil pad and/or add a spacer. Bud, to get to 15 1/2" I think that you will need to add a 1" spacer to the stock as it comes from the factory. Ken Rucker of Speedbumps Stockworks makes the recoil system for these guns. You might try contacting Ken to see if he can provide a stock set up for 15 1/2", I'll bet he can do it. http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/

Regards,
    Brad

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Brad

Since you have one, I thought I'd ask some questions, since I didn't have a lot of opportunity to ask the owner at the shoot.

Do you know;

1.) Can the LOP be shortened down to say 13 3/4" ? I assume if it can, it would be with a thinner pad (asking for others, I shoot a 14 3/8" LOP)

2.) Can the adjustable comb be set up to approximate the dimensions of the montecarlo stock on an 1100 Classic trap?

6. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

One for sale at Midwest Shooters Supply in Lomira Wis for $695 as new. Beloned to my friend who kept adjusting. 1-920-269-4995 Midwest

Rick

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The shortest we can go on the 1100 Competition is 13 7/8" with a thinner pad. And, yes, the comb can be set up like the montecarlo stock on the 1100 Classic Trap.

Ken

Chance McCall thanked this.
  8. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

I purchased one about 2 months ago. I now have the gun fitting me. The length of pull was an issue and I ended up with 13.75". After a series of different pads I installed an old Remington plastic(?)butt plate which took it to 13.5" and then installed a .25" spacer. Ken's Bumpbuster eliminates all recoil, there is no real need for a cushion on it. The heaviest I have shot has been 1 1/8oz Nitro Gold and no felt recoil, my load is a 1oz 1200fps and other than noise you do not know you have fired.

I am a new shooter, about 6 months shooting trap and am unable to compare this fine gun to anything. Flawless performance, a decent trigger, good balance and no recoil. I had a very minor issue with the gun and Remington scared me to death with the speed and professionalism of their service.

I believe it would be hard to be disappointed with this gun... Larry

9. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Hi Rem870TB,

I think Ken has addressed your questions and who better than the maker of the recoil system?!

I think you and I frequent the same sites, here and ShotgunWorld. If I recall correctly you are a dyed in the wool Remington guy. That being the case, I think that you will really like the 1100 Competition Synthetic. I too have shot 1000's of rounds through all sorts of 870 and 1100 Trap models. If you like the feel of the Remington Trap models, you will like the feel of the 1100 Competition Synthetic. It feels just like a Remington Trap model. The only significant difference is that depending upon what spring set up you use in the recoil system, the mount may feel a little "squishy". My son shoots it with the medium weight springs and when I mount the gun I can feel the butt stock compress just a little. I would say that it takes a little getting used to, but I shot a 25 my first round with the gun and continue to shoot 24's & 25's with it when I can pry it away from my son!

Regards,
    Brad

10. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Hi Rem870TB,

I think Ken has addressed your questions and who better than the maker of the recoil system?!

I think you and I frequent the same sites, here and ShotgunWorld. If I recall correctly you are a dyed in the wool Remington guy. That being the case, I think that you will really like the 1100 Competition Synthetic. I too have shot 1000's of rounds through all sorts of 870 and 1100 Trap models. If you like the feel of the Remington Trap models, you will like the feel of the 1100 Competition Synthetic. It feels just like a Remington Trap model. The only significant difference is that depending upon what spring set up you use in the recoil system, the mount may feel a little "squishy". My son shoots it with the medium weight springs and when I mount the gun I can feel the butt stock compress just a little. I would say that it takes a little getting used to, but I shot a 25 my first round with the gun and continue to shoot 24's & 25's with it when I can pry it away from my son!

Regards,
    Brad

11. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Hi Rem870TB,

Regards,
    Brad

12. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Ken

Thanks.

I am 6 ft - 3 in and shoot a 14 3/8" LOP but I like to have that sort of info available to pass on to new shooters that might have need of it.

13. Bud Johnson

Bud Johnson Member

Thanks to all who replied.. I now have one on order. Been shooting P guns for so long, it will be a definite change.. Since I live in Austin, Texas (not too far from Ken), I will probably contact him to increase the LOP.

May have some Pgun stocks for sale soon..

Once again many thanks

Best regards

Bud Johnson

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Bud, come on down!!

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 competition

remington 1100 competition review