1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

remington 1100 comp or browning golden clays semi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biggunone, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggunone

biggunone Member

Looking to buy one of these guns for my son for xmass,or even winchester flanigun sporting super x.the 1100 is 30 in,browning is 30 in, winchester is 28 in. the guns to be used for target, trap,skeet,sporting clays,which one for looks and shoot ability. Thanks for your opinions.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All are excellent... See which one fits you the best right out the box..

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Take a look at the Beretta auto also. No reason to count them out.

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I have both the Comp and the Gold, I've had more than one of each. I've never owned the SX-2, but I can't tell the difference between it and the Gold, if there is any?

I like my Gold, but the Gold is now an obsolete model. The Browning Silver is the last update on the Gold, new head-space design and revamped firing pin and gas piston. personally, I don't care for the semi-humpback, but that's a personal thing. I haven't heard if Winchester will be discontinuing their SX-2, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did, or do soon.

I have 2 Comp's and they have become my primary guns for clays. I originally set up one Comp for Singles and Doubles, and the other for Hcaps. I'm shooting more now that my grandson's are shooting, so one of the Comp's has gone to a youngster. We each registered 4K this slow year, and the Comp's have held up well.

If I were in the market to purchase a new gun for one of them, I would gravitate toward the R-Comp right now. My Comp's are 4 & 5 years old - pre-Cerberus, so I would look for an extra clean safe queen as well as really inspecting a showroom model. Good that they are still made here in the USA.

The older boy is drooling over the new Browning Maxus, but history tells me to sit back and watch it for a year or two, just like any truly new model of anything.

Good luck with your search, and do let us know what you find and decide on, always good to get some extra skinny........

Kip

5. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

It's tough to beat the 1100 for reliability.

6. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I work at a range where we rent a lot of semi-auto shotguns.

The only Semi-auto's that hold up to the abuse are the Berettas 390,3901,391 and the Remington 1100's/1187's .

Forget the rest. Beretta... Finest & softest shooting Semi-auto's on the market today. Remington 1100 & 1187 next best... then anything else.

Shoot safely, well and often,
    Tom

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Remington and Beretta make great guns...I haven't seen a lot of browning semis in competition.

Rick - there's not a lot of 1100 lefties traded here. I've only seen 2 in the last year.

TNCoach

8. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have owned my Gold for over 10 years now without one malfunction. I have shot them all and it is by far the softest shooting gun on the market...It's also the fastest cycling gun on the planet along with the SX2 which someone already pointed out is the same gun...12 shots in 1.442 seconds...That is Browning BMG fast!

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I believe the older 11-87 barrels that are marked "Target" are backbored pretty much to the same bore diameter as the Competition barrels. With that being said, it would be a lot easier and less expensive to buy an 11-87 with a trap barrel and a skeet barrel and even a sporting clays barrel. Add an adjustable comb stock and you will have a truly versatile gun at much less than the cost of an 1100 competition. For what its worth. JM

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

"gun to be used for targets, trap, skeet, sporting clays, which one for looks and shootability"

What does "looks" mean? Classic or New Wave or coolness.

"shootability" will be the combination of fit, adjustability, reliability and practice.

11. RRA

RRA TS Member

Remington 11-87 the worst jamming gun I have ever owned. I hated it so bad I took it to Cabelas and they bought it from me for pennies on a dime. I will never own or recommend one again.

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

To go back to the original question, "Browning or Remington?"

I'd go with the Beretta and shoot it for everything and never look back!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My vote is Remington 1100 or 1187.

As for the 1187 trap barrel, they are backbored to .745", stepping down to .727" just before the choke tubes. They take standard Rem Choke tubes, but these have been remarked to take into account the .018" constriction that is already present in the barrel.

I would not get a Browning. Seen too many having issues in trap and sporting clays. If you don't want an 1100 or 1187, I'd say get a Beretta.

14. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Rick,

If you find a lefty, please send me a pm and I'll try to coordinate the sell and provide a buyer. A real nice newer one came up here and my friend moved too slow. I should have bought it...darned accountant wanted to check his math too many times - lol

TNCoach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 trap vs maxus sporting
browning gold sporting clay reliability
browning maxus golden clays review
browning maxus sporting golden clays review
browning maxus vs remington 1100
remington 1100 vs browning

remington 1100 vs browning maxus

what is a better skeet shooter remington 1100 or a browning maxus