1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 - Comments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbart1948, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

I recently purchased a new Remington 1100 Classic Trap. I've always wanted one, and decided to treat myself.

What is interesting is the various comments that appear on this site. Some are favorable, while others are negative.

What is the straight story on this shotgun?

What do I need to do in order to make this a good shotgun that I can depend on? Your comments will be appreciated.

Dave

2. James.c

James.c Member

Best single shot semi auto in the world.LOL

3. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

You will love the 1100 to shoot singles with. In my opinion it is the best singles gun there is. If you want to shoot doubles it's still a great gun when it works but you will not be able to keep it running for any lenght of time. Get a Beretta 302, 303, 390 or 391 auto or Winchester Super X-1 for that.

Hit 'em hard,

John

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I own a few of them (Classic Trap) and use them for the majority of my Trap shooting. They require maintenance and parts replacement on a regular basis. I probably have two extra guns in parts alone. Doubles can be problematic if you can't clean your gun between events. They are one of the best values for the money, but you need to find out if the gun suits you. If you are not mechanically inclined and would have to pay someone to maintain one, it might not be the best choice. I like mine and have really put a lot of loads through the first one I bought. I reload and don't push the envelope when it comes to pressures and velocity. But someone once told me that the most important accessory you can buy is a second gun. I haven't had mine go out of service or fail to the point I could not finish an event. I also have a few other models of the 1100 and have no real issues with them. The only one that gives me trouble is the one my girlfriend shoots. :)

I carry a spare bolt, trigger assy, seal rings, O rings, link, forearm support, all springs, and an operating handle. I can fix a minor problem in a matter of minutes and have the tools and parts with me when I shoot. My spare parts and tools benefit other shooters more than they do me.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a beater 1100 that spent the first ten years of its life in a duck skiff. The back end of the stock is all rumpled from taking on water.

I made it fit me and put on a skeet barrel. I shoot 100-150 shells a week through it, and it only gets cleaned when it slows down due to gas ports going shut. That's about once every 3 months.

I did put an O ring in it about 4 years ago.

Sometimes I shoot doubles on 3-4-5 or at all stations. It hasn't failed me in this regard ever.

That said, I would shoot a break gun at registered doubles. I have had a few FTF with another 1100 in doubles. Since I don't register doubles, I don't care.

I have a trap 1100 I like for trap, but I am favoring a 90T these days. I shoot the 1100 to practice a release trigger and for a change once in a while.

If doubles is a big deal, and you want to shoot a lot of registered, you need to spend more money and get a higher grade 2 piper.

Finally, I personally like the older 1100's a little better.

HM

6. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I agree with Quack Shot, 1100's work better for those that are mechanically inclined.

Though the years I have bought several used 1100's that "would not work" for the previous owner. Usually a good cleaning was all it took to get them running.

Trapmanjohn: Not trying to start a pissing contest, but how many targets are you talking about when you say "will not be able to keep it running for any lenght of time"? I have not had any trouble making it through 100 target doubles events with an 1100. I have not tried to shoot a marathon but I have often shot 200 targets without cleaning though. I have not shot any individual 1100 more than 20,000 rounds. I understand that an 1100 receiver can be worn out at some point, but I have not experienced it as of yet.

I agree the various Beretta aotoloaders will shoot longer between cleanings, but they just don't point as well for me as an 1100.

Michael Goines

7. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

great gun. There are reasons its still a favorite for so long. the only problems I had were when I had primers falling out of some reloads and a week action spring on a 30 yr old gun. as far as problems with doubles? Clean your gun ocasionaly! they do require more attention then a double, but its not hard. Once you do it a few times you get efficient at it and it doesn't take any time. Mainly keep the mag tube wet with clp and take the forearm off and wipe it with a rag sprayed with clp after a few hundred shots. after awile take the rings off and clean them and completely break it down and clean it now and again. gauge cleaning by how dirty your shells are and when it starts to cycle a little slower clean her. you'll notice the difference in a real dirty gun and a clean one before it stops working. I've seen bigger problems with the browings, winchester and beretta autos then the remingtons. Just about anything that can go wrong you can fix quickly and cheaply yourself. I went to a gunshow and bought some extra parts faily cheaply from a part dealer extra bolt, link, triggergroup, some orings and your set to fix most problems in just a couple of minutes.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have owned numerous 1100 trap guns, not the classic trap. Both left and right handed models. My experience has been that the left hand guns break down more than the right hand models. They are the lowest recoil in my opinion of all semi autos. My experience has been that they shoot to flat for me. Anytime that I used 3 dr. loads, sometimes the bottom ring would break or the tuning fork. Hopefully this problem has been rectified with this newer model. The reason I no longer shoot 1100's is break downs usually when running a good score, and the amount of cleaning this gun takes to keep it running well. The Beretta semi autos break down a lot less than the 1100's, but the 4 guns that I had the barrels all shot to high for me. In conclusion, if you don't mind cleaning the gun often, and Remington has fixed the gun from breaking down a lot, you would have a great gun.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If I didn't think the 1100 & 1187 were not good guns, I wouldn't have five of them in various configurations (trap, hunting, etc.), my son wouldn't have two, and my daughter one.

The key is keeping them clean. If you don't want to clean the guns regularly, get a pump or an over/under.

The 1100 has been in continuous production since 1963. That's 47 years. It's seen what have been touted as better designs (and some are) come and go. Multi-millions have been made.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Arguably the best trap shooter ever shot 1100's for years and set and broke many of trap shootings records with them. I'd say he would probably still be shooting them if some scum sucker hadn't stole them. Don't think i even need to mention any names.---Matt

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

1100s like Break Free spray lube. HMB

12. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Michael Goines,

One time I remember shooting an 1100 that had about 750 single rounds through it with out a cleaning and I entered one of the Big 50 tournaments an it worked flawlessly. I ran 50 straight with the gun. Then other times, for example before a major State doubles championship I would have the gun "surgically clean" and could not make it through the first 50 with out 5-8 malfunctions. The triggers are the main culprit to the 1100 malfunctions. I used Timney and factory triggers. There is too much that has to go right for the gun to successfully fire a second shot.

The last time I tried to shoot an 1100 at doubles was at the 2010 Maryland State Shoot Warm-Up. I had so many malfunctions with the 1100 I got disgusted and purchase a Caesar Gurini Summit Trap the next week ! But after shooting the CG I still love shooting an 1100. I still shoot the 1100 for singles. If the 1100 can work there is no better gun. Every doubles championship I've won has been with an 1100.

Hit 'em hard,

John

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The only time I've had problems with an 1100 or 1187 is when trying to shoot more than 600 cheap Mao Mart shells in them without cleaning. And they were back in action after a quick wipe down of the mag tube, because of the Break Free keeping the powder fouling soft.

14. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

The 1100 is an excellent choice and in my opinion, the best auto out there. 1100's require regular maintenance and parts do have to be replaced but I have found the 1100's and 1187's both to be reliable guns. I like to follow Remington's instructions regarding maintenance as opposed to home concoctions.

15. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I don't know where all the bad mouthing about 1100's being a nightmare come from. I shot them at skeet, lots and never had a failure to fire. I shot them in goose pits, duck blinds, and upland fields,still no problems. I have had to pull one down when a side of a pit caved in and filled it with sand, a quick dunk in the river and all was well. Did I replace parts, yes an O ring here and there. I still use an old Skeet B for dog training and bringing myself out of a slump on the skeet range.
    Why don't I shoot them as much any more, I caught the P disease and them damn things are supposed to break all the time too. I guess I am lucky, I shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays, and yes hunt with my MX8 and just do normal maintenance and still haven't had any failures. I guess I am just lucky.
    Both guns are killers on and off the range.

16. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have 6 1100's in various configurations. I have a Classic Trap and a Sporting 12 that gets a fair amount of use. I've found that I can go 350-400 rounds between cleanings if I use Break Free CLP on the mag tube.

17. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Proper cleaning, & proper cleaning. Quality Ammo.
    Secret to good use. If gun cleaned properly , Good ammo are Secrets.
    STS ammo prefered.
    Been a favourite of many. Keep it clean and use break Free.

Joe Woods/Ontario.

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I remember when they first came out in 1963 they showed up everywhere and were great guns for the money. The old step rib trap barrels were as good as it gets for ink balling clays and still are today. I still have my old 1100 with custom wood and Timney release every time I shoot it I question why I did not stop buying new guns. I was shooting a M12 and got one for doubles and used it as a back up to my M12 for 20 years. I got a 1187 in trade a few months ago a field gun put on a Anton stock I had laying around a Release trigger and a friend gave me a 28 inch target barrel 740 bore and a mod choke went to the club and shot a 49 out of 50 out of the box money invested 200.00 there is a certain joy in shooting a cheap gun well. In those early days the 1100 took over the skeet fields in all its different gages. They require a little cleaning but with it they are as good as any gun out there today.

19. BobC

BobC TS Member

Dave, Before you buy that new 1100 I have an offer for you from my gun safe. I have a brand new 1100 classic trap that I ditched the stock barrel and replaced with a Hastings 1100 high rib with choke tubes and I ditched the stock trigger and replaced with a timney steel 1100 trigger. the gun is 99% and it is yours for $1000... my cost: gun $675, Barrel $330, and trigger $250... this is a great, great gun for a grand... let me know if your interested..... I am Bob C. at drbobcof@yahoo.com...... I stopped shooting trap about 2 years ago and only shoot sporting clays so it is sitting in my safe.

20. BobC

BobC TS Member

Dave, Before you buy that new 1100 I have an offer for you from my gun safe. I have a brand new 1100 classic trap that I ditched the stock barrel and replaced with a Hastings 1100 high rib with choke tubes and I ditched the stock trigger and replaced with a timney steel 1100 trigger. the gun is 99% and it is yours for $1000... my cost: gun $675, Barrel $330, and trigger $250... this is a great, great gun for a grand... let me know if your interested..... I am Bob C. at drbobcof@yahoo.com...... I stopped shooting trap about 2 years ago and only shoot sporting clays so it is sitting in my safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winning trap events with the 1100