1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 - Cleaning Magazine Tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbart1948, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Facts: I own a Remington 1100 Classic Trap. My cleaning consists of the barrel, choke tubes, bolt, and trigger assembly. No problems.

Question: I have not cleaned the interrior of the magazine tube. My question is how do I do this, how often, and what cleaning agent to I use.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

2. revbook

revbook Member

I have done this in the past but realized that it is really unnecessary. The times that I have done it I used a clean cloth and kind of pulled it through like a bore snake. Then a light lube with some CLP.

Don in PA

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

It needs to be done occasionally. I've had the tube get dirty enough that it slowed the feeding of the round and malfunctions resulted. How often? It only takes a couple minutes, so there's not much to lose by doing it more often than needed. "Needed" will be defined by how many shells you shoot and how dirty they are.

Of course, if the gun is only shot for singles, it probably doesn't matter, but that seems a slovenly approach.

Dave

4. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I clean mine about every month when shooting. Action Spring every 3 years.
    Good Shooting.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I pulled the magazine spring. Unless you shoot in inclement weather, it really isn't a place that attracts crud. I pull the bolt every time, to get a clean swipe at the magazine tube. I pull the trigger on occasion, and clean it. It mostly needs to be clean where the gas works. Mark

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get a 10ga bore mop and wrap cleaning patches around it. It shouldn't need much in the way of cleaner. If you lube, barely use any. You only want to prevent rust and it doesn't need a lot for that.

The Classic Trap should have the 1187 style barrel retention system. This is a toothed plastic plug in the end of the tube, held in by dimples. You push the plug in about 1.5" and turn 90 degrees, then slowly let it come out under spring tension. Watch your eye, the spring will pop clear.

7. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

What does Remington say? If the manual doesn't specify it then I don't consider it a priority. I only clean mine when I need to replace the spring. This has worked for me on my 1100 and 1187 for twenty plus years.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I clean mine once a year. My thinking is that when shooting in wet weather my gun can get extremly dirty (depending on ammo) and seems to get into everything, so why not the area near the end of the tube. So it gets cleaned, needed or not!

As a side note. I was having on and off shell feed issues a few years back and I replaced the Magazine Follower ($5), as the original seemed to be not moving freely when I pushed on it. Problem went away...

Search tags for this page
cleaning classic trap
cleaning mag tube on remington 1100
cleaning the action spring tube and magazine tube on the remington 1100
how often to clean remington 1100

how to clean the magazine tube on a remington 1100

magizine tube remington 1100
remington 1100 cleaning video
remington 1100 magazine spring