1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Bolts Cracking

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by theodorescolt45, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theodorescolt45

theodorescolt45 TS Member

I have a question for Remington 1100 shooters ... I recently purchased 12 ga 26 inch Model 1100 Skeet gun and it functioned fine. I noticed that the bolt ( under where the operating thumbpiece fits ) has 2 hairline cracks. I bought another bolt ( stripped ) and it too has a crack but only one. Is this a chronic problem ? Is it just from use /stress ?

The gun did not look to have been shot much when i got it ... i just sold it as I lost all faith in the thing ! I was just wondering if others have seen the same problem.

thX !

ted

2. setter

setter Member

Pretty rare, my experience.

3. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir

I have several 1100s(have owned them since they were available)---never had the problem---never heard of the problem before your thread

Tom Daily

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Ed

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Carl, I'm assuming that the problem was corrected in later production? I, too, had never heard of it until reading this thread.

Ed

6. theodorescolt45

theodorescolt45 TS Member

thanks all !
    it cost me almost $100.00 to get a bolt from GPC, i was in a rush and wanted
    to get rid of the gun asap. funny, my winchester 1400 trap with about a million rounds through it never had a problem ! but i heard it is rare, as no one i have talked to at the clubs i shoot at ever heard of it. i saved the cracked bolt just for show and tell !

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I have 5 1100's, two of them date back to the first and third year of production. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to how many thousands of rounds have been through them, but I have never experienced any bolt cracks.

I have replaced one firing pin, one action bar and one feed latch, all in the same 80's series gun; the others remain completely original. I just swapped out the barrels on three of the guns yesterday and took the opportunity to inspect all the bolts, no cracks.

I've shot Trap, Skeet and now Sporting with my 1100's for over 40 years, I wish you well in your hunt for a more reliable autoloader.

Kip

8. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

This was a problem about 20 years ago, don't know about it still occuring.
    I knew a gunsmith that had a drawer full of 1100 bolts that were cracked.
    They always cracked at the thin piece just under the bolt handle. Hope I explained that right. I myself have owned many 1100's & have never had it happen to mine but I have seen it on many bolts in the past. Colonel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cracked bolt remington 1100