1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 Barrel Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark V, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark V

Mark V Member

Would anyone know if Remington ever made an 30" 1100 trap barrel with ramped rib and screw chokes?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If by ramped rib you are referring to what is commonly called a stepped rib, the 11-87 Premier Trap came with such a barrel but I don't think any 1100 trap models had choke tubes.

Ed

3. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am going to go out on a limb and say yes. I have a 30" ramped up target barrel with 3 screw in chokes from the factory. Full,EXTRA FULL and SUPER FULL.
    Pete

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Pete, I think (and I'm only going by a failing memory) that the barrel you have MAY have come off an 11-87. I say that because I remember Remington making a big deal out of the fact that the 870TCs and 11-87 Premier Traps came with overbored barrels and choke tubes. I don't think that any 1100s were built with "Target" barrels.

Ed

5. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Ed you could or are right I don't know I said I was going out on a limb
    Pete

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Those barrels that came with the three choke tubes, marked full, super full and extra full, have a tapered bore. HMB

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

and are 1187. Jeff

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 1187 factory backbored barrels are not tapered bores per se.

The barrels are approximately .745" from the forcing cone to a few inches from the muzzle. This section is straight.

Then they have a couple of inches or so of taper, from approximately .745" to approximately .727". Then a short straight section, followed by threading for standard size Rem chokes.

However, even though standard size Rem chokes will fit, their constriction is thrown off by the built in (approx) .018" constriction as the overbore tapers down. Thus, you have to ADD .018" constriction to a standard Rem choke to arrive at the actual constriction when they are used in this barrel. If you screw in a regular .018" mod choke, and then add the built in .018" constriction, you wind up with a total of .036" constriction, which is a full choke.

Remington made it easy for everyone by selecting the most popular constrictions for trap, factored in the built-in constriction, and named the choke tubes so they'd make sense and no one would have to do the math. That's why these chokes are labeled Trap Full, Trap Extra Full, and Trap Super Full.

Note that if you install a cylinder bore choke, which are usually .000" to .001", then your true constriction is .018" to .019". That's a mod choke, and even with a spreader choke, these barrels still pattern modified. Thus, they're not a really good choice for skeet or many sporting clays presentations. While I've never shot skeet, I have tried this barrel for sporting clays, and it's choked a bit tight for up close action. And it's a fairly heavy barrel too. I prefer something more lively for sporting clays.

9. leftex

leftex Active Member

I have a 30" left handed 1100 step ribbed trap barrel that is .745 till just ahead of the choke area and then it necks down to .728.
    The 3 chokes are marked trap full, trap extra full and trap super full.

Wayne

10. Brian in Oregon

Wow, that's a rare find, Wayne.

11. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

How come a specialty trap 1100 has interchangable chokes?It also says on the barrel Target Contour.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Because the New 1100's are really 1187's. Jeff

13. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Nope!!they do not have aself regulating gas system!!!!

14. Brian in Oregon

These 1187 barrels do not have gas pressure compensating systems:

Trap barrels;

Skeet barrels;

Dedicated short turkey barrels;

Smoothbore and rifled slug barrels;

"Police" or defense barrels.

I don't know about the Sporting Clays or the 1196. I have not seen their barrels with the forend wood off.

15. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

1100 barrels were sold by Remington that were the .745 bore with the three chokes that were trap full, extra full and super full. I have had several of them over a period of time. The ones I had were sold by Remington as extra barrels on their website. I think I have had at least three of them. They are not plentiful and are a very good barrel. They are much the same as the 11-87 trap barrel.

16. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

So now were does that leave us, is mine a 1100 or not. And is it worth keeping?
    Pete

17. Brian in Oregon

Bakergun, if it works on your gun, then it really doesn't matter which gun it is for. And yes, I'd keep it. I'm getting some nice patterns from mine with cheap soft shot promo loads. Less shot distortion is one of the goals of these barrels.

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I HAVE AN 1100 THAT HAS AN 1187 STEP RIBBED BARREL ON IT AND 1187 MONTE CARLO
    WOOD. I BOUGHT KICKS EXTENDED PORTED CHOKES FOR IT. IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY AND IS MY FAVORITE FOR 27 PLUS YARD GAMES.

19. 121083

121083 Member

The barrel lug on an 11-87 "Target" barrel looks like the normal 11-87 barrel lug but does not have the extra gas ports and the regulating ring on it. It is solid. Also the gas ports are over sized like a regular 11-87 and where the o-ring set is 1/16th of an inch farther forward in the barrel lug. The o-ring on the magazine tube for the 11-87 is 1/16th of and inch farther forward also. On the 1100 step rib choke tube barrel, I have owned them in left hand and seen them in right hand, they have the 1100 barrel lug with the two small vent holes and the solid lug without the cut down part to the front of the lug like an 11-87. Had three of the left hand version at one time, all were overbored .745, and finally sold them and went back to the fixed full choke barrels. All you need is full choke. Thanks and good shooting, Bob.

20. 121083

121083 Member

Also if you want to use the 11-87 barrel on your 1100, go to the Remington web site and order part number 201598. It is what they call a barrel seal activator and is listed in the 11-87 SUP section of the parts lists. It is 1/16th wide and fits right into the lug where the o-ring would fit on any 11-87. You may or may not need to use the o-ring with this installed. It is described in the 11-87 super magnum manual as a way to be able to shoot lighter loads in the magnum gun. Needs to be removed when shooting heavy and 3 inch shells. I have one on one of my left hand 1100 hunting guns with an 11-87 barrel and I do not use the o-ring and it handles both heavy 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch shells just great. Have not tried it with light loads but I imagine it would work. It has a small collar around the out side of it and seems to seal up the lug just fine. Also I use the 11-87 forend on this gun. Works really nice for a great hunting gun. Thanks and good shooting, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

left hand remington 1100 sporting clays barrel

remington 1100 sporting clay barrels

threading 1100 rem choke barrel

threading for choke tubes rem 1100

what barrels will fir a rem 1100 sporting 12

what other barrels fit on a remington sporting 12 1100