1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 adjustable gas ports?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pipestone, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipestone

pipestone TS Member

I came across an older 1100 Remington that has a screw running transverse through the gas cylinder on the 28" barrel. In removal, it appears to be a system to vary the gas flow through the gas orifices(2). I would say from looking at it that one could remove and install one of a series of these screws that would have a larger or smaller shank in the port area to cause a reduction or increase in the gas flow. Does anyone have any information or history on this setup?
    Thanks

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've seen the same setup before. don't think it was factory work however, never seen anyone else mention it. Not really necessary unless you are going from 2 3/4" mini-mags for hunting to 7/8oz target loads, as long as your staying in the range of what would be considered a target load, the 1100 should function fine, it may need a little tweaking to function on the low end, but it would still work for 1 1/8oz shells.

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

pipestone...take a photo of it if you can..I've seen something similar but never saw it in action.

Big Jack

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Pipestone; A very close friend of mine shot at the Royal Hong Kong Skeet Club for many years and has the same barrel. He told me it was acquired there and was something that Remington did on export barrels due to the quality of shells in foreign countrys. He was based there in the early Sixties with US Embassy. Doubtful that the club still exists under the Communist regime. Beats oversizing holes.

5. mdshuping

mdshuping TS Member

in 74 i had a 1100 3 inch mag and that came with one vent port. I drilled and tapped a 2-56 threaded second port to shoot light trap loads. Then put a set screw in it to shoot 3in mags.

6. pipestone

pipestone TS Member

Just a follow up. I had a chat with the owner and found that there is not one but two 1100s with this setup at the club. Seems the guns were sold as a two barrel gun, one being the modified choke 28" barrel with the screw in the gas cylinder and a full choke 30" barrel with no such device. The screw is designed to be threaded in or out to open or close off the gas ports to allow a greater variety of loads to be used. There is also a screw on the opposite side of the gas cylinder that is used to lock this adjusting screw in place once the desired setting for the gas ports is achieved. On the weekend I will have a chance to remove the screw and will take a photo that I will post on the thread. I will have a little more history at that time and will pass it on.

7. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

The SKB series of XL300 and XL900 gas guns that were imported by Ithaca years back used something similar as they had two gas ports and used a switchable little "valve" that covered/uncovered a second port. It was accessed by removing the forearm. It was labeled something like "L" and "H" for light and heavy loads and you could use a dime to just rotate it to the other position.

I bought one new for my wife to shoot skeet with about 1973. It worked pretty well.

8. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I have an old Remington model 58 that has a gas adjustment on the magazine end cap. I guess all the 58's did? Never seen an 1100 with a gas adjustment device.
    Sounds like a good idea though. Colonel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 remington gas adjustment
adjusting gas 1100
rem 1100 gas ports

remington 1100 gas ports

remington 1100 gas system
remington adjustable gas port
remington skeet barrel gas adjustment
tapping gas port in rem 1100