1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 action spring tube nut wrench

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SonoraMike, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

where can I find one of these wrenches? looked in google, midway, brownells without luck. bought new springs and need to get them installed

troubleshooting-7-A.jpg

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Brownells has the bit. They used to have a wrench. Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A screw driver with a wide blade will work. Or you can make a tool from a spade drill bit. HMB

4. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

ah - is this the nut that "they" refer to when they talk about using a spade drill bit?

@bigbore - can I impose on you to post a link to the part on brownells? I couldn't find it for the life of me and I have mad internets skills. I found this but the part didn't look right for the job: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=967/Product/SHOTGUN_BUTTSTOCK_BOLT_BITS

5. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I don't know if this will help but I bought one last year that works great.It is well worth the money. The problem is the maker only put his company name and address no phone number. Maybe you call information for the number.
    Tuff wrench
    The stock shop
    Manchester, TN
    Sorry I wish I had more
    Pete

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I bought mine from Brownell's. $23.99...Stock #080-187-201

Bruce

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Kinda pricey, but works. I tried the other ways, wide screwdriver, modified spade bit. No joy and a risk of damaging the stock.

Bruce

8. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

dug out the most gi-normus Craftsman flatblade screwdriver and gently had a go at the nut, thankfully it let go with a bit of pressure and I was able to get the stock off with no damage to nut or stock. In hindsight I never connected the dots to what I'd read about the spade blade drill bit and this nut. Always learning....

9. Gluegun

Gluegun TS Member

go to sears. in their tool cataloug are spade scokets for 1/2" drive I use it all the time, order the 3/4" one. You might have to grind the radius off of the blade a little. I did the tool works for almost all stock bolt too. Donnie

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

An old "jack handle" with the hub-cap blade works for an over sized screw driver too. I cut one off and welded a 3/8ths drive adapter for a ratchet wrench. Works good and has for a lot of years. Works well on the Win. model 12 stock bolts too.

Hap

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you know any old timy mechanics ask them if they have a drag link tool. they work great but dont nkow if they make them anymore since drag links are something else now. LOL

whooops don't go to searchin and the internet for drag links

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

An old Craftsman Drag Link Socket. (Large Flat Screwdriver type bit.) Remove the nut with the slot and replace it with the new style hex nut (11/16") and washers. A simple deepwell thinwall socket will do great on those. Just don't over tighten them.

13. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

>Just don't over tighten them.

is there a published torque spec for that nut?

14. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

If you have Harbor Freight in your area go there and you can get a set of 6 Drag Link Sockets (spade scokets) for about $10.00.

Jim

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use the jackhandle or the biggie square shank screwdriver, turning it with a crescent wrench.

The Drag link socket works, if you have the right size, can't find at sears no more.

HM

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

SonoraMike

I'm not aware of any published torque spec, but there may be one in a factory manual somewhere. I tighten it about a little less than a spark plug in an aluminum cylinder head. I'd venture a guess at about 8-10 foot-pounds MAX. Feel has a lot to do with it. Putting a 1/2" ratchet with an 11/16" socket on that nut could result in a cracked or damaged stock. Make sure the stock is properly seated and bring it down about "Screwdriver" tight. Same goes for the drag link socket. Make sure the treads are clean and you might want to put a little oil or grease on it as a rust preventative. No Loctite!

The spade blade drill bit has a center point that will fit inside the nut's center hole. It will help keep it from slipping off center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 stock removal tool

remington 1100 stock wrench
remington 11100 butt stock wrench

remington 1187 stock nut

remington 1187 stock removal tool
remington action spring tube nut remington 1100
removing action spring tube reminton 1100

sleeved drag link bit to remove 11-87 buttstock