Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington 1100 20 gauge question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ajax 
#1 ·
Question for you 1100 full sized 20 gauge owners. Will a 20 gauge magnum cycle standard 20 gauge loads, and if not, can you open the ports so that they will? I appreciate your input.

William

#4 ·
Well, typically 1100 28" 20ga Magnum barrels have ONE .0760" gas port, the nearest drill size being a #48.

Typically an 1100 28" 20ga 2-3/4" barrel has TWO .0760" gas ports, again #48 drill size.

You could have a gunsmith bore a second .0760" port in your barrel, and thread part way for an allen set screw. This would allow you to install the set screw for magnum loads, or remove it for light loads.

#5 ·
Yes, they will function with std. factory 2&3/4" 7/8oz. ammunition .. at least the one I had did, that's all I ever shot in it.

I do not think you need to worry with any gas hole modification, but I would make sure the chamber and magazine tube are clean and the action properly lubricated. The 0-ring thing is way over-rated about them going bad all that frequently, but if it shows signs of cracks put a new one on and also check that the piston between the 'fork' and the recoil spring in the stock is steel & not aluminum, the aluminum ones can bend and cause problems. Check the recoil spring free length too while you are at it; new they are about 15.25" long, if it measures 14.25 or less replace it too. Neither is expensive.

edit: I'm not refuting Brian's input, just stating my experience. Some reloads might be more prone to causing problems, but I shot a lot of factory 7/8oz. amo through the one I had w/o issues, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.