1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 1100 16g

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Surveyor, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

I'm giving my son my 1100 16g but I would like to buy him a barrel that was in better shape and maybe with interchangeable chokes. I don't know how old this gun is or if there is anything to watch out for when buying replacement barrels. The number L0078xxW is on reciever, and 16ga 2 3/4 MOD. is stamed on the 28" barrel.
    Currently he is shooting some trap, and some skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays. He is also looking forward to his first quail and pheasant hunt this Nov.

Any advise on what to buy in the way of barrels to set him up for an all around gun for this year?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Remington website does not list barrels for the 16ga 1100. However, the
    Remington parts dept lists two 16ga 1100 barrels as being available in their parts list.<br>
    <br>
    P/N 246800 Barrel, 16ga, 26", Vent Rib, Light Contour, $215<br>
    <br>
    P/N 246801 Barrel, 16ga, 28", Vent Rib, Light Contour, Classic, $215.<br>
    <br>
    Both of these would have the screw in Rem Chokes. The one marked Classic was simply the barrel that was installed on the recent Classic version. It should be identical to the 26" barrel except for length.<br>
    <br>
    The 26" would be a nice all around barrel, especially for upland, but the 28" would probably be a bit more suitable for trap.<br>
    <br>
    These barrels should come with at least one choke tube. Ask which tube or tubes come with it, and if a choke tube wrench is included. If not....<br>
    <br>
    201579 16ga choke tube wrench $10.80<br>
    110052 16ga Full $18.10<br>
    110051 16ga Mod $18.10<br>
    110050 16ga IC $18.50<br>
    94573 16/20ga choke tube wrench $8.30 (this is probably the stamped wrench)<br>
    <br>
    Remington parts dept 1-800-243-9700.<br>
    <br>

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your 28" modified choke barrel will work just fine! No need to buy a new barrel unless it's damaged. If you want choke tubes, for $85 you can get Colonial thinwall chokes installed(3) and a wrench!

4. Brian in Oregon

Is the old barrel a vent rib or plain barrel? I wouldn't put any money into a plain barrel.

5. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

No. It's just a plain barrel. Needs to be reblued. ANd thanks Brian I'll look at their parts list.

Boomer

So the barrel can be tapped to accept chokes? I did not know that. Sounds expensive. Is it?

He will be shooting it tomorrow at a 5stand tournament, we'll see how it goes with the mod. choke. He may decide to stick with what he's got, and just have it reblued.
    I was thinking a vent rib would be nice, but will that change his line of sight? I guess I need to put some mole skin on the stock to raise his eye a little.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Surveyor, would you consider selling the gun and putting your son into something else? If so PM and we can discuss.

7. 121083

121083 Member

I picked up a 16 ga 1100 two years ago. Was a little rough but worked well. Had the reciever reblued and purchased a 28" choke tube barrel from Remington for it. With the barrel and the reblue and the cost of the gun I have $575 in the gun and it is one of the sweetest shooters I own. I use nothing but a full choke tube and have shot quail, doves, pheasants and grouse. The barrel from Remington at that time was $190. You can't go wrong going with a new barrel and it fit perfect. Thanks and good shooting, Bob Morris.

8. Brian in Oregon

Technnically, the vent rib will very slightly change the POI, because its bead is elevated about 3/16" above the bead of a plain rbarrel. This amount of POI shift won't amount to a hill of beans in practical terms, and the comb of the stock does not need to be compensated for it.<br>
    <br>

9. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

He shot great today. I don't think I'll change a thing on his gun. A round of 5 stand followed by a round of trap, ate some lunch, talked with a bunch of super people and then shot another round of 5 stand and another round of trap.

One of the gentlemen there wanted my son to try his 1100 20gLW, and he did at one stand, then went back to his 16g. to finish that round. It's certainly not a pretty gun, but I sure like to watch him shoot it. There were 60yrs between the members of our squad today, and who do you think did the best shooting? The youngest and the oldest.

And everybody treated him like they were long lost pals. We had a great time! I guess you trapshooters are pretty good guys!

Thanks.

10. Brian in Oregon

Thumbs up. And sounds like a nice club.

11. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thanks Brian, yeah a Great Club!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.