1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 11-87 vs Beretta 390

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Which gun do you think is the most reliable if both are new?

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

390 by a long shot. Not really even a close call.

3. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I agree with BAD 303. I've had both and have shot tens of thousands of rounds through each and found the 390 to be the more reliable of the two guns.
    That being said, the 1187 was a fine gun and the problems were minor such as firing pin springs and forend supports, but the 390 was a rock solid when it came to dependability - I never had a problem with it.

Regards,
    Brad

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've never had a problem with any of my 1187s. The trick to the 1187 is to keep it clean. It will need cleaning more often than the 390. (Though you should hear the complaining when a 390 owner goes too long between cleanings and crusts up his gas system.) Most of the parts that break are easily user replaceable.

Having said that, is the 390 more reliable? Yes. But I don't agree with BAD 303's assessment that the gulf between the two is that wide.

Frankly there are other factors that should be considered as well, but you did not ask about them.

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

beyond reliability--

balance and how it feels when swinging means a bunch to YOU!!!!

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've owned many of both and BAD 303 is spot on. There isn't even a remote comparison here. In fact, any of the 300 series are bullet proof and can go thousands of rounds without even cleaning.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The difference between the two is that wide Brian. Just own both and shoot several thousand rounds thru both and it will become obvious. Reliability alone makes the gap huge. Add to that the available aftermarket options and feel and balance and it gets even wider. Cleaning is always good fro any gun. I started out shooting the 1187 and they are not in the same league as the 300 series Berettas.

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

My 11-87 is flawless. I doubt if most current or prior owners of both have actually done enough side-by-side, scientific testing to make a determination and their answer is merely subjective depending on experience and which gun they like the best.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would agree with Brian. They do require more frequent cleaning to operate reliably, but all of mine have always worked as expected. I did break the operating handle detent ball retainer during a 200 bird event at the Iowa state shoot once, but didn't know it until I took the gun apart for cleaning.
    Plus, you can buy two or three older style 1100's for what one new Berretta costs.

10. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I shoot both 1100 & 11-87 for the past 35+ years. I will tell you this on the Trap & Skeet field if one is better than the other 1100 or 11-87 or 390 you can't prove it to me, I have seen all kinds of guns fail regard less of price from P guns to B guns to Remington's. I do feel how one maintains what they have has a bigger affect than what they have. I have a friend that does not take care of anything & he shoots it till its done then he buys something else cost means nothing to him. Just a parting thought why does a 1100 hold the record for most shots fired with out being cleaned or a parts change, 24,000 rounds look it up your self on Wikipedia. Buy what you like & what fits you, that will have a bigger impact on your scores. Good Shooting.

11. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I have owned both. I have shot several 300 series Berettas for doubles with my current 390 nearing 50K. Seldom have had any problems with failures to fire, ie jamming for second shot. I can only recall having lost a bird due to multiple failures to fire per ATA rules one time. NEVER had that dependability with 1100 or 11-87s.

12. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Any thought of keeping a fellow American employed?

I have an 11-87 that I use for skeet. Don't shoot it day and night but I've never had a problem with it. Also, I've never had and issue getting Remington parts when needed not that I've had too many occassions and never with this gun other than a gas ring once a year. Can't say for Beretta. Had a Beretta double and never liked the feel of it whereas a Rizinni fit the bill. Personal thing.

Pick up both guns, see which one you like and buy it. Clean it when it needs it and you won't have problems. We all overthink these things. Truth be told, if you find a good used 870 and practice you'll shoot as well as a guy with a 40 thousand $ shotgun. As the best trap shooter that I know has said for the past 50 years, "It ain't the arrow its the Indian." And the best skeet shooter that I have ever known whose been long dead shot one gun and one gun only; a Model 12 pump. Dependability? Ocassionally they broke an extractor.

We're not talking Stoegers here!

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

Owned and shot both. Th 11-87 is a good gun. The 390 is much better all around. john

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    An 1100 went 24,000 rounds without being cleaned?

Must have been this old 1100 Trap that I bought...

View attachment 197089

I doubt its previous owner EVER cleaned it. Pic was taken AFTER I got all the carbon buildup out of it.

View attachment 197090

Not a bad shotgun. Got it dirt cheap. Came with a Timney pull trigger. Basically bought the trigger and the gun was free.

View attachment 197091

Longest I've ever been able to get an 1100 or 1187 to shoot with cheap, dirty ammo is a bit over 600 rounds. I clean mine between 200 and 400 rounds, but then, I find cleaning guns to be enjoyable. No doubt some folks do not.

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to wipe down and re coat the mag tube on my 1100's after every event or two with break free. It was kind of dirty to do, but it always worked. Cleaned everything once or twice a year depending on how much I shot or how bored I was.

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have owned both, and in my opinion the Beretta is more reliable. I do feel that the Remington kicked me less, but who knows, that could be the way the gun fit?

I had a friend who use to go to Canada to hunt every year with some friends as they brought a total of 6 Remingtons with them. By the end of the trip the boat was filled with broken parts and only one gun still functioned properly.

Then they all purchased the Berettas one year, and did not have one broken part among them after they went on their yearly hunt.

Remington is a great gun, soft recoil, but for plain realiabilty, the Beretta hands down.
    Steve Balistreri

17. C-Money

C-Money Member

I shot an 11-87 for over 20 years. It needed cleaned, but clays/clay dot helped it go longer with out being cleaned. To totally disassemble an 11-87 takes about 2 minutes. Clean it all out, put it back to gether, and you are done in 12-15min tops. No big deal. 11-87s shoot great. Biggest issue I had was 'o' rings breaking once in a while. I had two complete sets in my bag if needed.

18. FIB

FIB Member

I've owned and shot both for years. They each have their plus' and minus'. The 11-87 fits me better and is easier to clean but it needs to be cleaned more frequently. The 390 can go further w/o cleaning but if you go too long it's a bear to get squeeky clean. 11-87 parts are much easier to obtain than a 390's but 390's seldom break. I think the 11-87 shot softer too.

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

11-87 Regards, Ed

20. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

1100 older tech 390 newer design both work one is a steam train the other a bullet train. I do wish Jack West made a Beretta stock it is a stone winner of a stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
11 87 or a300
beretta 390 vs remington 1187
beretta a300 or remington 1187
beretta a300 vs remington 11 87

beretta a300 vs remington 11-87

beretta a300 vs remington 1187
is a remington ahotgun better than a berretta

remington 11-87 vs beretta a300