1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 11-87 trap barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if there is a company out there that makes custom 32" VR target barrels that would fit an 11-87? To be honest, I have made a field 11-87 into a trapgun, but it has a 3" chamber. I was told at the gun club the other night that I could indeed put a 30" barrel on my gun even though the barrel was technically made for a 2 3/4" chamber. I always thought this to be dangerous, but was told, "Nah.....you can do it" "You just won't be able to put a 3" shell in anymore" The field barrel is 28" and is whippy. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    -powderburn

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You can put a 2 3/4 barrel on it. I have never seen a 32" bbl for it but would be inclined to consider one if you found em.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It is No Problem to use a barrel with 2 3/4 inch chamber on a 3" gun but you can't do it the other way around ie. use 3" magnum shells in a target gun with a 2 3/4 " chamber.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a hard to find a 30 inch Remington 11-87 Trap Target barrel, that comes backbored from the factory and has a step rib. You can put a Comp-n-choke choke tube and you will have a barrel that will be about 31.5 inches. PM me if interested. jm

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have a junior friend , with a new Rem. 1100 trap Gun, this past winter we acquired a Hastings Trap barrel(30 Inch) with chokes and high rib. from a friend on this sight. It has worked out real well, it also ejects the shells out without disturbing the shooter to the right. He & I shot 300 doubles at Grand 09 , I shot post One & he Shot post five, Everything worked fine.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Shoot the barrel you have it is all you need . The 1187 is barrel heavy by design with all the gas works in the forend if it is whippy just add one of the weighted forend caps or a barrel weight. Save your money it will not make any difference. If it is a choke tube gun buy a better choke tube like a Pure Gold with the real long extension in modified you will be imperssed how good their chokes are over stock Remington chokes the Pure Gold chokes have a real long taper because if their extra length and just crush targets. The sporting clays guys just love them out to 40 yards.

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Well said.

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Hastings trap barrel...

9. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the advice and all the info. Still thinking about what to do.
    -powderburn

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Old One Eye, quote: <i>Shoot the barrel you have it is all you need . The 1187 is barrel heavy by design with all the gas works in the forend if it is whippy just add one of the weighted forend caps or a barrel weight. Save your money it will not make any difference. If it is a choke tube gun buy a better choke tube like a Pure Gold with the real long extension in modified you will be imperssed how good their chokes are over stock Remington chokes the Pure Gold chokes have a real long taper because if their extra length and just crush targets. The sporting clays guys just love them out to 40 yards."</i><br>
    <br>
    Bingo.<br>
    <br>
    I started with a field 1187 with aq 28" light contour barrel, chambered for 3" shells. It cycles all but the lightest trap loads. Used it for trap for quite a while until I got my 1187 30" trap barrel. And yes, it will fit and work perfectly fine on a field model 1187 receiver. The only thing to look out for is the forend. Mine had a narrow barrel channel because it was made for the skinny light contour barrel. I had to get a forend for a standard barrel.<br>
    <br>
    I still use the 28" field barrel on this gun for sporting clays, because the factory backbored 30" step rib trap barrel for the 1187, even though it has screw in choke tubes, will never pattern wider than a mod choke. This is because it has a built in .018" constriction right before the choke tube.<br>
    <br>
    I also use the 28" barrel for doubles, because it swings faster. The heavier 30" barrel works better for trap because it swings smoother and its weight helps prevent "jinking". But the 28" barrel will work just fine. Note that the 28" standard barrel does not weigh all that much less than the 30" trap barrel.

11. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

ALL 1187 RECEIVERS ARE THE SAME. THE TRAP BARREL WIL WORK GREAT. IF YOUR
    28"BARREL IS A LIGHT CONTOUR, YOU WILL BEED A STANDARD CONTOUR FOREND OR MAY HAVE TO HOG OUT THE BARREL CHANNEL IN YOUR LIGHT CONTOUR FOREND. THE OTHER ISSUE IS THE STOCK. THE TRAP STOCKS HAVE A RAISED STEP RIB AND WILL REQUIRE EITHER A TRAP STOCK, AN ADJUSTABLE COMB, OR A CHEEK EASE PAD OR EQUIVELENT TO
    RAISE YOUR COMB HEIGHT ACCORDINGLY. THE HASTINGS 1100 BARRELS MAY NOT WORK ON AN 1187 DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN THE O RING GROOVE LOCATION. PERHAPS SOMEONE HERE HAS TRIED ONE ON AN 1187?. I KNOW THEY ALSO HAVE HIGH RIBS AND NEED A HIGHER COMB HEIGHT. LET ME KNOW IF Y0U WANT TO SELL THE 28" BARREL.

JOE

12. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

ALL 1187 RECEIVERS ARE THE SAME. THE TRAP BARREL WIL WORK GREAT. IF YOUR
    28"BARREL IS A LIGHT CONTOUR, YOU WILL BEED A STANDARD CONTOUR FOREND OR MAY HAVE TO HOG OUT THE BARREL CHANNEL IN YOUR LIGHT CONTOUR FOREND. THE OTHER ISSUE IS THE STOCK. THE TRAP STOCKS HAVE A RAISED STEP RIB AND WILL REQUIRE EITHER A TRAP STOCK, AN ADJUSTABLE COMB, OR A CHEEK EASE PAD OR EQUIVELENT TO
    RAISE YOUR COMB HEIGHT ACCORDINGLY. THE HASTINGS 1100 BARRELS MAY NOT WORK ON AN 1187 DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN THE O RING GROOVE LOCATION. PERHAPS SOMEONE HERE HAS TRIED ONE ON AN 1187?. I KNOW THEY ALSO HAVE HIGH RIBS AND NEED A HIGHER COMB HEIGHT. LET ME KNOW IF Y0U WANT TO SELL THE 28" BARREL.

JOE

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi all,
    Again, thanks for the replies! Actually, what I've done is ordered a "speed feed" setup from Brownells and it is a poly-type material. It is a turkey set-up with a monte carlo stock and foreend. It is intended for a scope mounted gun, but is basically a monte carlo trap setup too. Now the gun has a kindofa neat all black look. Anyway, I do want to keep the 28 barrel, but may end up going with one of the Briley chokes in an imp. mod. and full. I only shoot this gun on singles, so I have removed the gas rings and seal making it a singles gun. I just pull the bolt back manually. No biggy. Someone mentioned the foreend weight for a slower swing at 27 yds. I think I will go with that. Any suggs on weights and where to order from?

Again, thanks again!
    BTW the Winchester Club program posts are really interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
11-87 30 inch barrel

11-87 trap barrel

1187 trap barrel
remington 11 87 trap barrel

remington 11-87 trap barrel

remington 1187 30 inch barrel

remington 1187 trap barrel

remington 1187 trap barrell