1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 11-87 Comptition Trap - Opinion ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bulldog50, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

Aug 4, 2008
    I am in the process of returning to participate in Trap and Skeet Shooting. I have found what appears to be a good deal on a gun, but I'd like a second opinion. I have not yet seen the gun. I have not shot since 1985 or 86. I shot my Dad's O/U and my Brownig BPS. Those are long gone. The Rem 1100's had some negative reputations around my club, either you loved them or hated them. My observations were that many that had troubles either did not maintain them properly, clean or repair, or used junk underpowered reloads. Some had Cutts compensators also.

The gun is described in the ad as a Remington 11-87 Competition Trap, adj. stock, adj. comb, ported bbl. I spoke with the young current owner today and he acquired it used. He said the previous owner was elderly, and the gun saw very little use before he acquired it. The first owner had the adjustable stock installed. He estimates the gun to be approx 10 years old.

The current owner is a 20 year old college kid that got the gun when he turned 15. He said he used it to shoot trap with his father and put about 10,000 rounds through it. This seems lake an exaggeration, but who knows. He is in college here in Tallahassee and has developed more of an interest in hunting turkey and ducks, so he wants to sell this and buy a field gun.

I have done some research on the 11-87 Competition Trap and learned that it does not have the gas adjustment like a field 11-87. The model was discontinued when the 1100 Trap was re-introduced. I have found some very good info on the repair and cleaning of the model from previous posts on this site. I would be comfortable doing the repairs and maintenance.

My questions are :
    When were the 11-87 Traps produced and discontinued ?
    How was the Remington quality control at the time ?
    Are there any hidden problems other than the normal parts wear / breakage ?
    Are there many in use now ?
    Anything I should look for when I inspect the gun later in the week ?

He has it listed for $525 and has had little interest. He will take $450. Only has one screw choke and a soft case. The other choke is at his parents house.

Any information you could supply would be appreciated. Thank You. Ken Carlton.
  2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    I have a 11/87 Premier Trap made in 1987. The barrel is over bored (.740 I believe) and it has three choke tubes. The chokes are marked "Trap Full", "Trap Extra Full" and "Trap Super Full". It is basically an updated 1100 with a stainless steel magazine tube, larger ejector and upgraded wood.

It is not pressure compensated and is limited to target grade ammo. I have read that it is safe to shoot up to 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 (pigeon load) ammo. I typically shoot light 7 1/2's through it.

It is a very nice shooter but cannot be used with heavy loads in games.

Ed Ward
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.