1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 11-87 3 1/2 inch will not eject???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The gun was working fine and has worked fine. I tore it down for cleaning and put it back together the same as always. Went duck shooting and after 1 box of shells it became a single shot. I have tore it down and tried to see what is wrong and I just can't see anything to fix. Link is fine?? Any help or idea are appreciated. If I can't get her fixed I have a Remington authorized repair station here in town but I have never had to use the guy on a Remington auto. I have other guns to hunt with so it' not a panic but sure is frustrating.Jeff

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jeff..

I have an 11-87 Super Magnum Waterfowler which will shoot 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" stuff (although I have never used any 3-1/2"). What mine has is an extra metal O-ring which fits over the magazine tube and rests on the other gas seals....maybe it's not turned correctly/aligned with the others. Also, if memory serves me correctly, if you're shooting the 3-1/2" loads, it may need to be removed?

I'll check my book later this morning and get back to you.

Curt

3. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

[​IMG]
    Make sure the 'tang' isn't missing from the barrel extension. This is a bump notch in a c'bored recess - it's what makes the shell turn and exit the reciever. Also make sure your extractor is working properly. I've attached a picture of the tang on an 1100 - should be the same or similar.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the gas port on the barrel, sounds like it might be blocked up with crud.

Also check the locking lug on the bolt to see if it can move down freely from the recess in the barrel. HMB

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I will take a look at that HMB. Guys, I shoot almost nothing but autoloaders. I have been shooting and cleaning them for almost 30 years. It.s not the simple stuff. I clean my gas ports every time. Yes the gun has all those o-rings and they need to be in place in order to shoot any shells. I have them in correct order as I confirmed that per the manual. I suspect something may be slightly bent. Somewhere..... Jeff

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Are you shooting different shells? Mine was picky about what I shot because the chamber was so tight. I sent it in to the factory and they opened it up a bit. Now it is flawless.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think Curt is correct, read the manual, it says that on the 3 or 3.5 you need to remove the barrel seal I just read my manual for a 3.5 gun I have

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I hear you but that doesn't explain why it has worked flawlessly until now. Jeff

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

What needs to be removed when shooting 3 or 3.5" shells is the barrel seal activator, not the O ring. The O ring is still required to seal off gas leakage at the forward end of the gas cylinder. The barrel seal activator is a secondary metal ring that goes forward to block off the forward gas ports for low powered (i.e 2 3/4") shells.

More description is needed to figure out why it is now a single shot. Is the action not going all the way to the rear? Look at the O ring. Is the fired hull not ejecting? Confirm the ejector (the metal bump) is still press fitted to the barrel tang.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Does the bolt come back after you shoot or does it stay locked in battery?

(thinking of a broken/bent pivot)

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I made this easy on myself and dropped it off at our local Remington repair station. Jeff

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The barrel activator is the short thin sleeve that is used to allow lighter 2-3/4" loads to cycle. It needs to be removed for heavier loads.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jeff...

Let us all know what the "Smitty" states as to the problem, please.

Thanks,

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem 1187 super magnum not ejecting

1187 ultra mag gas check

how do you turn the ring in a remington 11-87

remington 1187 ring removal 3 inch

remington 1187 will not eject low brass

will lighter loans work in a remington 1187