1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 105 CTi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

May 6, 2009
    Has anyone shot the new Remington 105 CTi semi auto? Please post comments
  2. goosedowner

goosedowner TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shooting the new Remingtons

Every year about this time my friend John schedules a big sporting clays shoot at his camp to coincide with a time when his son Rob can get a few days off from work and come home. I always enjoy shooting with Rob. Besides being an all around good guy Rob is the sales director of firearms for Remington so we get to pick his brain on what’s going on with the Big Green. This year Rob talked his boss into coming to the shoot so several of us suggested to John that it would be nice if Rob could bring one of Remington’s new 105 CTI’s with him so we could get a chance to shoot it.
    Early last week I got word that a 105 and a STS sporting clays over/under had arrived in town and were waiting to be shot on Saturday. I was pumped and eager to shoot both of these guns which made for an extra long week at work.
    I finally got to see the 105(from a distance) when Rob uncased it, grabbed 3 new STS light handicap shells and walked over to the edge of a field and promptly fired those shells through it as fast as he could pull the trigger. No miss fires or any other problems so far, things were looking good.
    When the shoot started the boys from Remington made it clear to all of us that we were more than welcome to shoot both of their guns as much as we wanted to. Well I’m here to tell you that I didn’t have to be told that more than once. I ended up shooting the 105 on 3 or 4 stations and the STS O/U on one station and a couple of pairs of birds on another.

My impressions;
    The STS O/U
    I already have a good sporting clays O/U so to be totally honest I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the new STS. I can tell you that I thought it felt a bit livelier then my Browning XS and it shoot where I looked. The other thing I noticed was that the palm swell was more pronounced then the one on my XS. Fit and finish were good, the receiver seemed to be nitrated (silver) but the metal piece that is attached to the forearm was blued which adds a nice contrast. I liked the way this gun looked and shot and with a price tag of around $1700. I think it will hold its own with other guns in this price range.

The 105 CTI.
    The first thing I noticed about this gun was how striking it was, eye candy for a shotgun enthusiast. A cross between a Benelli Super Sport and a Remington 1100. The carbon fiber cover that goes over the top of the receiver really looks sharp. The barrel was blued and all the titanium on the receiver that was not covered by carbon fiber was coated with a black ceramic coating. While telling us about the receiver Rob took an empty shotgun hull and struck the receiver 5 or 6 times with the brass end. He then simply took his thumb and wiped the marks off with no evidence left from the brass or scratches.
    The carbon fiber cover was not the only non metal part of the gun, glued on top of the barrel was a composite rib. Some people may scoff at this but some after market rib companies have been doing this for years to trap guns that shoot more rounds in one year then most hunters will shoot in a lifetime.
    The wood on the gun I shot looked good with nice wood to metal fit and the checkering was well pronounced and worked well. I can’t say for sure but to me the forearm and pistol grip seemed thicker on the 105 then the ones on 1100’s. The recoil pad is made by Limbsaver and departs from the tradition of running parallel with the stock. This one curves back into the stock about 1 ½”. I guess the idea is that the more recoil pad touching wood equals less felt recoil. The only disadvantage I can see here is if someone would need to cut the stock down this curved cut may be hard to do. For me the stock was a bit to short at least for summer shooting but should be fine come fall and winter when I would be wearing more cloths. The good news for us long armed guys (or gals) is that there will be formed spacers available from the factory to add the length you need.
    There is one thing about the 105’s stock that you can’t see with your eyes and that is the recoil reducer inside of it. The reducer is a hydraulic piston that not only reduces recoil but also runs the bolt at a consistent speed through a wide range of different shot shells. I’m not really sure how the system works but I can tell you that it works VERY WELL. I shot some of my light 1 oz loads right up through nitro sporting shells and with all but the Nitro’s the only thing that was anything similar to recoil was the Nitro’s, most of the time the only thing to could feel is the bolt moving back and forth. I know a lot of guys that will not shoot Nitro’s because of the recoil but with this gun the recoil was not much more then a light bump on the shoulder!!!.

If your anything like me the first time you pick the 105 and go to load a shell into it you notice the lack of a loading/ejection port on the side of the receiver. It goes without saying that if the gun ejects through the bottom then it must load there too. To load the gun I found it best (I had to be told this) to 1; keep the ejection port facing down. 2; push a shell up into the magazine. With the bolt locked back the first shell you put in will not want to stay in the magazine, push the shell in as far as you can and then just pull your thumb straight down away from the gun. The magazine will then push the shell back and up into the gun which in turn releases the bolt and drives the round into the chamber. On two occasions I kind of short stroked the process and the shell went up into the gun with out releasing the bolt. This was remedied by pulling back gently on the bolt handle with my right hand and pushing on the bolt release with my left hand and then letting go of the bolt which then loads the chamber. After the first round is chambered then the magazine will accept and hold shells.

Shooting the 105.

From the first time I pulled the trigger on this gun I was in love with it!!!! How can you not like a gun the shoots where you look and not have it boot the hell out of you. I shoot a lot of trap and sporting clays and this is with out a doubt the softest recoiling gun I have ever shot, can you say No Recoil. If you like the way an 1100 feels and you shoot one well then I think you will shoot the 105 well also, the two guns point very similar. This is on of the things I’m glad Remington did not change when they designed this gun.
    We only put about 200 rounds through the 105 Saturday but there were no failure to fires of any kind. I had an assortment of shot shells with me so we shot a little bit of everything to see how it would handle it. I even did a little mixing and matching with light, medium and heavy loads just to see if I could get it to jam but all to no avail.

Both of the new Remington’s that I shot last Saturday were taken right out of the Remington store house and brought to our shoot. Neither of the guns were shot before or gone over by a company smith before we shot them. The105 that I shot had a serial #2XXX so it was made fairly early in the production process. I know some people will say that we did not put enough shells through the 105 to give it a good enough test but I think our small test shows the Remington has done their home work and have a real winner on their hands. If I heard right the 105 should start being shipped in sometime Oct.
    For some reason I have had a bug up my you know what lately to get a nice light 12 gage that shoots 3” shells for upland/ducks and a spare for sporting clays. I had decided that I was going to get a Franchi Raptor but now that I have shot the 105 I’m pretty sure there’s going to be a new Remington in my future.
  3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Las vegas
    Bought a 105 two years ago and had little problem ejecting shells. Called Remington and they were aware of it and I sent it back to factory and they updated the gun and sent it back. Works great and have no problems with it. I like bottom eject
  4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Gun-Tests couldn't get it to work reliably.

Time can be a very harsh judge of a newly introduced shotgun. Remington’s 105 has an 'interesting' history, to put it mildly. Apparently intended to be introduced in 2005, it was delayed until 2007.... So it was with the 2007 105CTi, a model that quickly gained a reputation, not at all a favorable one. Originally announced as a $1200 retail product, its price ballooned to $1500 in short order. For 2009, the revamped 105 "II" retails for $1559....

The rework of the 105 II is substantial. According to Remington, we have trigger-plate changes, action-sleeve changes, action sleeve–seal changes, and bolt-head changes. On top of that, we have barrel-assembly modifications, including gas-cylinder changes, carrier, and carrier-buffer changes. Most of these parts have received nickel plating and Teflon coating.....

For maximum reliability, 200 shots with the factory-applied break-in lube are suggested.... The manual tells you to clean after every use. That means yanking the trigger group (needed to remove the breechblock), and disassembly of the complete bolt assembly. This is covered in the manual in over 70 documented steps to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the 105CTi II over five pages of text and illustrations...

The 105’s narrow range of shell function is adequate for most hunting purposes, but 1-ounce loads long handled by the Browning Gold, Beretta 390/3901/391 and a couple of others seem out of the 105’s design parameters.... There are further design flaws, we believe. For example, if you drop a shell into the bottom of the receiver, it jams and will not enter the magazine. The magazine is offset from the bottom of the breechblock enough so interference of the hull with the top of the magazine tube is a virtual certainty....

Right after our jams, we immediately contacted three principal officials at Remington, asking for an explanation of or solution to the malfunctions. We sent pictures that showed what the gun was doing. That was more than two months ago. Eventually, we received an e-mail from Remington stating, 'Sorry to hear about these issues… will follow up with you ASAP on how we correct the situation.' We are still waiting for that follow-up."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
remington 105 cti forum

remington 105 cti ii trap shooting

remington 105 cti recall
remington 105 cti stock removal
remington cti 105 for trap