Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remembering W. Chicago GC

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  dickgtax 
#1 ·
I'm trying to remember the names of some of the guys who shot there. I've got the 1972 average book, so I can probably refresh my memory. As I recall it was more skeet than trap. I think Bob Niederer was the club manageer. The clubhouse was just a little shack, but it was a friendly place. I'm sure it's long gone.

#3 ·
MP3006 - if memory serves me correctly they have both skeet and trap ranges and the hours were Monday and Thursday evenings from I think 6 or 7pm to about 10pm and then on Saturdays as well from 9am to 2 or 3pm but I do remember both the mention of and them having both trap and skeet fields.

#4 ·
I'm thinking at that time it was on the west side of North Ave.(64) so it moved. The manager I remember was Ron Niederer, not Bob. I thought Dave Nicholson mostly shot at Maywood. I kind of remember Al Walker, not sure about Perry Cox, and Beaver doesn't ring a bell.
Amazing the things you can remember from 36 years ago, but still forget the name of somebody you met yesterday.

#7 ·
It was on North Ave (North side) on the north side of the road west of Elmhurst and those same guys shot at Maywood as well ... They had Calcuttas every so often once they moved out to the park district in West Chicago ... I shot many of the Calcutta's out there and guys like Reggie Jackimowski, Butch Richart, Buckshot Kunat, Roland Roesline, Beaver (Walt Bodansian), Al Walker, Dave Nicholson, Bill Barton, his brother Roy, and a few other ruled the shoots out there ... Many good times and a lot of great guys ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#12 ·
The club on North Avenue between Grace Street and Main Street Lombard was Chicagoland Gun Club. I was a member there for years just out of high school. I still have a Chicagoland patch somewhere .<br>
Ron Niederer ran the club after Harry retired. I bought an 870 .410 skeet from Ron's brother Bob. <br>
Chicagoland was mainly a skeet club but one field was a combo field. I don't ever remember seeing any calcuta's or games shot there. I remember the club as a skeet club. <BR>
The local government finally ran the club out of business early in the 70's after someone made it his quest to vandalize the club to death. Several of us were nearly arrested by the sheriff after the club was accused of shooting a neighboring factory. We stood with the sheriff in front of this factory and Ron leveled his gun at us and shot at us with trap loads. The cop almost dumped his pants when the gun went off. The shot never even got near to us.

#13 ·
Perry Cox, Carlton (Carl) Keel, Pete Nordby, and a guy by the name of dickgtax was just a few more of them "Good Ol Boys" from way back when ... Damn, now I'm misting up thinking about the good times and shoots back then ... The Annies at Maywood Sportmans Club were second to none and always a great time ...

Gene,
They still got some Hot Dogs shooting out at the West Chicago Gun Club what I hear from friends back there ...

dickgtax,

Hell, at least I can remember them even if I can't spell them all right, but you knew who I was talking about ...

Who would of ever thunk ...? WPT ... (YAC) ...

#16 ·
Marco Polo,

The Calcutta's were held in West Chicago at the park district and many of the top guns from all over the state used to show up ... I met a lot of really good guys out at those shoots and shot in a protection once with Carl Keel, we made the money on a cold and rainy night in West Chicago ... lol... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#17 ·
I shoot at the club last year, they rent from the lcoal Park District and when they shoot they have a spotter on the Praire Path ( bike and walking path) runs next to the club. The spotter halts the shooting to let path users go by. Two trap houses and a skeet field. The yshoot on Thursdays and Sundays a friendly group to say the least.

#18 ·
They used to get some pretty good Calcutta's going out at West Chicago Gun Club and everyone always seemed to have a good time ... Beaver (Walt Bodasian (?), all targets are high to me)started coaching me when I started shooting out there, never knew he was one of the better shooters until years later ... Great bunch of guys way back then and I have been told still today ...

Ed,

If I ever get back there you got a deal, like to make it back and shoot one more time at the club (Maywood) before its all over ... Sometimes when I belch I think I can still taste the last G&J hot dog I had ... lol ...

#19 ·
Of course, as soon as Marco Polo said Chicagoland and Harry, I realized that was the club I was thinking of. I was a member there for a while, but moved up north and shot mostly at Lincoln Park, Northbrook, and Maywood.

I stopped in Maywood a little over a year ago. Most of the shooting is Annies and Protection. Roland is still there, mutton chops and that old 870. Like time stood still.

#22 ·
Wally Bogoian (Beaver) passed away a few years ago. Denver and Clayton Lewis I think moved down south when they retired, possibly Kentucky. Clayton is shooting more and I see his name in T&F and see him at the Grand. Dave Nicholson still shoots and I see him at McHenry once in a while. Rolin shoots in the games at Maywood every Wednesday.
Pat Haskins

#24 ·
Talk about a sentinmental journey and some sweet memorys ... Thanks for bringing them up again, makes me feel young again but the color of my hair tells another story ... The best thing about it, is I still have mine and its not salt and pepper anymore, just salt ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

#25 ·
Do any of you guys remember a shooter named Eddy Westerbach (sp?), he was a meat cutter in Chicago. He retired and lived with his daughter in San Diego. I used to shoot with him at the Miramar Gun Club. He said he shot in and around Chicago for 40 years. The man taught me alot about shooting many years ago. A good shooter and a nice man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.