1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering the old-time industry reps.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Heap, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Reading Dick Baldwin's book I was reminded of Win Huff who was the Winchester "Professional" in the Spokane area before and after "The War". Win was the fellow who gave Arnold Reigger his Model 12 and created trapshooting history.

These "Pros" shot in their own class and promoted good will, helped with shoot management - always worked the scoreboard - and usually had a brick of .22 shells for a kid and a Pinch bottle for the grown-ups in their trunk.

Best story told by my dad was about Gus Parrot, a pro who toured the grounds at Vandalia in the 1920's with his pet goose on a leash.

2. trench12

trench12 TS Member

[​IMG]

you mean these guys?

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

In the pic above, notice the guy with the M-97 stuck under his armpit and into his neighbor's ribs. Hammer is back. He thinks it is unloaded.

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Harvey Fisher, NW Federal Rep in the 60's and 70's, kept my two kids supplied with BBs thru out their child hood. Hunting Loads for deer and elk came from Harvey as well as many a tall tail. Harvey hosted many a Senator and other politicians as well as plain old Joes' to a fine Duck Shoot on Sauvies Island.
    Being the gentlman that he was Harvey would always allow his guest the first shot at a incoming but after that you were on your own. Post-2

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I don't go back quite as far as those guys in the picture, but in Alberta, I remember Rolly Hughes from Winchester, Paul French from Federal and "Downtown" Freddy Brown from Remington. It was always a good week when they come through town....they'd get invited out to the trap club for the evening and they always had some ammo to let you try out and sometimes a new gun or 2 to shoot a round with....those were the days....

6. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Don Sutton - Winchester

Bill Flynn - Remington

NC

FRedmon

7. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

FEDERAL HAD A REP. IN THE 70-80 WHEN HE TURNED SIDEWAYS

HE LOOKED LIKE SAMMY DAVIS JR. DON'T REMBER HI NAME

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Ron, do you remember Bob Kemp from CIL with his Canuck brand shells, or was that before your time ?

9. trench12

trench12 TS Member

where do you see a M-97??????? I assume you are looking at the Marlin 28

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I remember Ron Fine, Jerry Lambert, and Willis Corbit, all from Winchester during the seventies.

You always saw them working the scoreboard at Mathers Land O Sports during the Illinois State Shoots.

I believe Luke Turner was the Rem. rep and was always good for ll00 parts, at no cost.

Great guys and did a great job promoting their companies products.

ed.

11. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Pete McCall from Kentucky came a little later but shot well as an industry rep and caused a spike in trapshooting interest in my neck of the woods.

Eddie Quire

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Paul Smith Winchester rep from Denver

13. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Anybody remember Bill Hughie(sp.) ...the Ponsness Warren Rep. back in the 70's??
    What a character!! Always set up at the Grand.....I believe he passed away one year while at the Grand American!. He was a lot of fun !!!...Uncle Sam, Pa.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How about Harry Koogler of Federal

Lee Davidson of Winchester

Amerigo ????? of Remington

Wanda Shells rep from the 70s

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

trench 12- Thanks for identifying the "97". I was sure it wasn't but didn't know what it was. The frame at the back and the stock didn't look right for a 97.

16. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Willis Corbit is still shooting. He works for the Missouri Dept. of Conservation on their public gun ranges in the metro St. Louis area. A true gentleman. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times when he wasn't working, and after talking to him for length it's no wonder Winchester hired him as their first black representative ( in the 50's no less). A personable fellow who enjoys people. He had a vision problem, switched to left hand shooting and can still break more than most you'll see ant any club, anywhere. Larry Lockhart

17. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Amerigo Pagliaroli is still active down at the Silver Dollar....still a real character and a cool guy................Uncle Sam, Pa.

18. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Brad Dysinger- Beretta
    Harry Koogler-Federal
    Herb Lauver-Federal
    Bob Oxsen-Federal
    Frank Caruso-Federal
    Bob Corsetti-Federal
    Bob Reinick-Remington
    Bob Beam-Remington
    Dave Bendel-Winchester
    Bob Stumpf-REmington
    Al Cornell-Remington
    Lee DAvidson-Winchester
    Hal DuPont-Krieghoff
    Jim Stotts-Winchester
    Bob Douglas-Winchester
    Paul Barber-Winchester
    Ron Fine-Winchester/Mossberg
    Pete McCall-Federal
    Alan Newcomb-Federal
    Rick Kalsow-Activ Ammo
    Jack Spaid-Federal
    Ken Sedlecky- Federal, Winchester, Smith& Wesson
    Don Wenner Hercules Powder
    Steve Trant- Federal
    Tom Henshaw-Winchester
    George Stumpp- Winchester
    Tom Larsen-Remington
    Ken Waite-REmington
    Jim Ryan-Remington
    Jack Hughes-Remington.

These are the ones that come to my mind. Too many have made completed careers in Trap & Field!

Bob Gibson
    Mossberg US Repeating arms(Winchester) Fiocchi Ammo

19. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Herman Kuhlmann, Remington - Spokane area rep. who was probably a great friend of every hardware/gun store in his area. Herman was a great friend of all the local trapshooters.

Herman was the worst fincher I've ever seen. He could walk to the 12 yard line before pulling the trigger. He introduced Moskeet to our area and provided guns, ammo and targets to everybody.

His beautiful daughter Sally was in my high school class. Sally was more interested in the jocks - just tolerated us trapshooters.

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bob Gibson hit a slew of them from the Northeast. How'd you miss Art Wheaton? Well traveled all around the country with Remington. I believe Amerigo is having some health problems, too bad as he is a great guy. They were good, fun people. Days long gone, great memories. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jack hughes with remington

jerry lambert trap shooter
jim prall skeet
jim prall skeet champion

loren booker trapshooting

paul c barber winchester rep 1959
trap shooting larry mesch

wilbur cox shooter