1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Martha Ray

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by porky, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porky

porky TS Member

some history you might find interesting-I knew about some of the great things

Remember Martha Raye ? WOW

The most unforgivable oversight of TV is that her shows were not taped.
    This is a great story about a great woman. I was unaware of her credentials or where she is buried. Somehow I just can't see Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson doing what this woman (and the other USO women, including Ann Margaret & Joey Heatherton) did for our troops in past wars. Most of the old time entertainers were made out of a lot sterner stuff than today's crop of activists and whiners.

The following is from an Army Aviator who takes a trip down memory lane:
    It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku. We had run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back. All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear. There was the singer
    and actress, Martha Raye, with a SF (Special Forces) beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard. 'Maggie' had been visiting her SF 'heroes' out 'west'.

We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku. As we all started unloading our sad pax's, a 'Smart Ass' USAF Captain said to Martha.... Ms Ray, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be time for your show! To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar
    and said.....Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduceus' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty....now, take me to your wounded. He said, 'yes ma'am.... Follow me.' Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku, she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved break.
    Martha is the only woman buried in the SF (Special Forces) cemetery at Ft Bragg.

Hand Salute! To a great lady..
    I did not know this about Martha Ray....thought you might like to read it.

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I saw her in RVN in late '65 or early '66, not exactly sure. I don't know if she was doing a show, but, if she did, I didn't get to see it.

What I did see was her walking around, with an LTC insignia, visiting and encouraging every single GI in the area. She acted as if she was really interested in them, their names, where they were from, etc.

I'll always think the world of her for her obvious caring and kindness.

Bob

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

She was a great American.

I enjoyed watching her movies on TV, some of her best made in the 40's and her TV show in the early 50's .

It is interesting when you look at at the 40's through the 60's, the number of people who entertained out troops during conflicts in foreign countries then compare the "dumb as rocks" bunch in Hollyweird today, that don't even know how many branches of the armed services this country has.

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

But Jane Fonda gets to be the "Woman of the Year" and one of the "100 most important woman of the 20ty century". Says who? I'll tell you; the left-wing maggots who infest Holywood and the media.

5. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Rick, you are right about the " 'dumb as rocks' bunch in Hollyweird today". I go to VERY few movies and I have just about quit watching tv. Trapshooting is about the only activity I enjoy any more. I do remember Martha Raye and unfortunately there is very little film or video in the so-called archives.

Charlie

6. LAD39

LAD39 Member

I did not see her in Nam but She went out to small base's.
    and was wounded. That is a real Woman of the Year.
    Ladder 39

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I remember seeing her in the '68-'71 timeframe. She would take occasional hops on the C-130. She didn't appear to feel comfortable around officers. If she was eating at the Officer's Club, she would be by herself. She seemed to prefer to play "mother hen" out with the troops. Sort of like a beloved, salty tongued grandma. INHO Ron

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

You may want to properly attribute your posts. Not doing so makes it appear that you are claiming the work as your own.

http://upmag.net/?p=1783

9. tennman

tennman Member

Saw her in the Tonkin Gulf in 66.
    A fine lady indeed.

10. porky

porky TS Member

I just copied what was sent to me. So APrice, what have you done for anybody lately??

11. APrice

APrice Active Member

Well Git, just today I helped a fellow shooter avoid being a plagiarist. How about you?

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cut and paste police.

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Don't worry Brian, I admire you for always doing it correctly.

BTW, thanks for putting the "vortex" on Mrs. Keet.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Always"? Hmmm. I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong.

As for the vortex, my pleasure.

15. porky

porky TS Member

APrice I appreciate your need to be perfect, but since I'm not and I am not recieving any pay for this in any way, plagiarism is the last of my worries. But as I previously said, other than criticise, what have you done for any body lately.

16. APrice

APrice Active Member

Git, perfection is a noble goal...maybe you can just settle for honesty.

BTW, you do remember 3rd grade don't you? It's "i before e, except after c."

You're welcome.

17. silverado

silverado TS Member

I first met Maggie at Ft Bragg in 1968. In early 1969 I was TDY at Ft. Holabird Md attending the USA Military Intelligence School with a class of about 15-20 other guys from Bragg and we received a message from her inviting us to the Orange Blossom Theater for a play she was doing in Baltimore. We were given front row seats and told she was having a party for us after. She made every female cast member stay for the party which went on pretty late. The amazing thing about her was her memory. She remembered my name from our earlier meeting and I told her I looked forward to seeing her in Vietnam later that year. Sure enough, she came to our A camp and stayed for half a day on her tour of all the camps in our company area. She again remembered me by name, and signed a poster for me which I still have. She was so special. Special Forces troops while on the west coast had a standing invitation to stay at her home while in town. I will never forget her and will always honor her memory.

Michael Veit,
    Detachment A-411, Co D, 5th SFG, Vietnam 1969-70.

18. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Lots of stuff on you tube.

19. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Last time I saw her she was in Dec of 1967, I think, riding a bulldozer in Dong Ha at MCB 7, cold, windy and raining but she was there. Woody Sullivan

20. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Whitebear, I spent time at A-241 and B-24 during that time..Grubby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.