1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Remembering Dick Baldwin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KennyRay, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Today, I recalled a conversation I had with Dick some years back. I do that often. I even try to imitate his voice saying "Hey Kenny Ray, have you ever heard of an old time shooter by the name of ____ ? What do you know about him?

Then I recalled that yesterday, October 11th was the day Dick left us - one year ago. I took a knee in my foyer for a moment just to let him know that an old friend was thinking of him.

Like all of Dick's friends, I miss him too. Over the past year, I've called on his guidance a few times in trying to fulfill the responsibilities that were once his. I didn't realize that working with the museum was actually a real job. I asked Sally Baldwin if Dick was busy every day with museum matters as I never thought it would be that time consuming. She laughed and acknowledged that on occasion, he had to make a phone call or two between hundreds to make certain that a donor had not changed their mind about donating an artifact. I was about to say that I haven't done that yet but I was on the phone during my State Shoot talking with the owner of the 1911 GAH medal we were attempting to acquire. For some uncontrollable reasons the transaction did not happen on the day it was scheduled and panic set in. I then called the owner of the Auction House who was assisting the THOF with the deal for his version. I looked up and my squad was on deck for the handicap event.

I'm going through the scrapbook I made up when Dick passed. After reading the notice of his death posted on the Hall of Fame web site last October I paged through to a picture of the both of us, arm in arm in front of the fireplace in the HOF office. I've kept most of his letters.

I remember the funeral service at the Ridgebury Congregational Church. We sang four hymns. I've never attempted to sing every word of a hymn before but that day I worked hard and not missing one word. We closed with "When the Saints Go Marching In."

There are 18 pages in the scrapbook that are filled with comments and condolences made on TS.Com. They are all very special to read but one posted by Big Heap really stands out to me. "For when the One Great Scorer comes To write against your name, He marks - not that you won or lost - But how you played the game." Grantland Rice Big Heap (Keith Miles) goes on to say that "Dick will receive the highest marks." The last entry is from Leo III and Karla Harrison which expressed the feelings held by all of us. "Our deepest sympathy to the family of a great trapshooting historian."

I remain proud to have known Dick and to have been given the opportunity to become his friend.

Kenny Ray Estes

2. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

Kenny Ray, I also miss Dick and all the great times we had talking about the things we both enjoyed, old time shooters and collectibles from years gone by. Thanks for the reminder. Charlie

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I did not know him. But it sure is nice to hear something positive about something. Dick, Charlie and Kenny my hat is off to you! Bill

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Kenny: I have to admit you brought a tear to my eye. Mr Baldwin is deeply missed. Don

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Kenny Ray,

It seemes like yesterday when I called you to talk about that terrible news. You told me it felt like you had lost a brother, and we have since then realized just how close you both were. It was just a short time before that when Judy and I first met you and Dick, bought Dick's book that day, and asked you both to sign it, not knowing the impact that two people would have on our lives. Dick and you made that day special for us, and that memory will always live on. We are sure Dick is proud that you are carrying on with his tradition.

Thanks friend, Dave & Judy

6. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I never met Dick, but did get a chance to talk to him when I ordered his book as a present for my Dad. Dick was a gift to all of us. I will never forget the look on the " Old Man's" face as he went through Dick's book. As the ad goes, "Priceless".

7. j l c

j l c TS Member

Kenny, Thanks for the remembrance of Dick Baldwin. I had taken his book that I had purchased before the Grand with me to the Grand to have him sign for me. I went to see him before I left for home after preliminary days and he had just went out to shoot. I decided it was too hot and I was too tired. I would get it another time that he would surely be at Sparta next year. I will for ever be sorry that I did not meet this person who brought so much to the table for trapshooters. I also was a bit choked up when I read of the news. I also want to thank you for stepping up to the plate and taking a turn at bat! Respectfully, Jerry L. Crenshaw

8. Larry C

Larry C TS Member

As Rick mentioned, Pahquioque was Dick's home club. As secretary, I had the privalege of working with him digging through his archives and reconstructing the 100+ year history of our club. The resulting history brochure is dedicated to Dick and in it we have a picture of Dick receiving our first lifetime membership award. The dedication in the brochure is an attempt to express our club's sentiments regarding Dick:
    "This history is dedicated to our friend and mentor, Dick Baldwin, a third generation member of Pahquioque. Dick's dad was a trap boy at the club in 1910 and his family, including his wife, stepson, and grandson shoot there today. Pahquioque takes pride in having been his home club. He was THE historian of trapshooting, generously sharing his immense knowledge of our sport through coaching, articles, and his marvelous book. He collected the memories and archives for our club and for the museum of the National Trapshooting Hall of Fame where he served as Director. The Pahquioque membership was privileged to have Dick (referred to as "Will Rogers with a Shotgun") share his entertaining stories at club events--especially at the annual banquet where, with its running history of over 100 years, Dick's stories always added to Pahqioque folklore. Dick's roots run deep in our club and in our sport. He is sorely missed by all who knew him."

9. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Charlie . . . I know how you miss talking to Dick. He was a wealth of information and was always excited to see something old that he had never seen. Like when you showed him the picture attendees of the 1899 live bird GAH.

BILL GRILL - thank you for your kind words. Mom always said, "If you're going to open your trap . . . it should be to say something worthwhile."

birdtracker & Ontariogal - didn't mean to bring you any anguish. Please look at the tears as "happy tears" for all the fond memories of Dick. I do!
    Barbara - you wrote some very nice things last year about meeting Dick in 2005 and how "he would always take me aside and spend some time inquiring about my progress (as a new shooter), sharing his wisdom and offering his fascinating knowledge of an historical gem he had recently discorvered or acquired." Yes, Dick would help anyone and he was like a kid in a candy shop (excited) about memorabilia.

Dave & Judy - miss you folks - I remember that day when you asked Dick to sign your "The Road To Yesterday." I still can't figure why you wanted my signature? From all my discussions with Dick, I too think he would be happy that I was given the chance to carry on his legacy.

Ron Frazier - You would have liked Dick. He was the same in person as he was on the phone. You did a nice thing getting a book for Dad. I know the look you saw on dad's face. I think I had the same one when Dick gave me a copy for the little bit of help I gave him. Trust me, I got the best end of the deal. I did buy one for a friend and you know, he had that same look when I gave him the book signed by Dick, who he knew from the Atlantic Indians tournaments.

Rick, JLC & Larry C - Yes, Dick was very proud to be a member of the Pahquioque Club. I just came acoss an article about the "Annual Hat Shoot" in 1936. Dick's dad Cliff shot in the professional group that day. These were the type of things I used to put in the mail and wait for Dick to call me to talk about it. The Pahquioque Rod and Gun Club is a wonderful organization that has been around for many many years. I appreciated being invited to the memorial shoot they held for Dick on the day he was laid to rest. Members treated me with the utmost kindness. I wrote the them when I returned home and remember thanking them for extending their hand in friendship on a day that I deeply needed it.

I appreciate all the kind comments in honor and remembrance of our good friend (whether you had the chance to meet him or not) Dick Baldwin.

Kenny Ray

10. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Rick - I tried hard to just look at the target. I can't say I ever shot at a mountain before. I think I broke a 24 in the drizzle. Almost thought I could hear Dick telling me that I shot behind it.

Yes, it was different but I think I'll go back one day!

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

If you are every at the HOF musuem there is a one of a kind book signed by Dick Baldwin. Most delegate that attended the last grand at Vandelia signed the book. The book has the signatures of all three shooters who broke 100 straight at the last Grand American Handicap event held at Vandelia. There is also a signature of every shooter who was on the last squad at Vandelia. The book was signed by the past and present incomming president at the time. I hope dicks family saw the book. There will never be a finer person and book like this again. Priceless

12. Elizabeth Christensen

Elizabeth Christensen Member

Hi Kenny Ray:
    Thank you so much for reminding all of us of Dick. He was the consumate gentleman as well as historian. I know that you feel that you have very large shoes to fill, but you have the same passion and excitement that Dick had. The HOF could not have chosen a better person to follow in Dick's footsteps. We will miss Dick always. Thanks for stepping up in his absence.

Elizabeth Christensen

13. Elizabeth Christensen

Elizabeth Christensen Member

Hi Kenny Ray:
    Thank you so much for reminding all of us of Dick. He was the consumate gentleman as well as historian. I know that you feel that you have very large shoes to fill, but you have the same passion and excitement that Dick had. The HOF could not have chosen a better person to follow in Dick's footsteps. We will miss Dick always. Thanks for stepping up in his absence.

Elizabeth Christensen

14. Larry C

Larry C TS Member

Earl, yes Dick was quite an accomplished shooter starting as a Sub Junior. He won his first major title at 12 years old. Kenny Ray and the ATA had a wonderful tribute to him on the ATA site. Our Pahquioque.com site has links to it and his biography...with too many honors to list here. Larry Cabler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.